Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

A350 grounding - what is the longer term solution beyond re-utilising A330s?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A350 grounding - what is the longer term solution beyond re-utilising A330s?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2023, 1:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by kq747
Were the "older" A359 ever slated to be retrofitted? I thought they were to remain superdiamond as they're really not outdated
I thought they were, but couldn't point you to any evidence. I think I'd assumed they wouldn't be retrofitted until deliveries were complete anyway, since new seat sets would be better used in new frames [assuming that's a bottleneck at all]. By that point the Super Diamond seats would probably be rightly due a refresh anyway, so swap them out for QSuite...
Old Feb 2, 2023, 4:36 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by Freddorick
Yes, according to Bloomberg. Although the 321’s will be coming later (2026 instead of 2023 if I remember correctly).
That is very interesting as there are 2 A35K’s ready to go at TLS which have seen some flying action recently, so the potential to see them being delivered in the next month or so would be a welcome relief for all involved!

Pilot37
Old Feb 2, 2023, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: QRPC, BAEC
Originally Posted by florin
It will be interesting to see how this affects the rest of the fleet. Nobody here likes the A330s but they aren't that old (16.4 years on average) so I don't know if QR will be in a rush to get rid of them. Maybe with more 787s being delivered, there is hope.
yeah the birds may not be that old but they’ve been fitted with the dinosaur of all IFE screens in Y unfortunately which is really no longer fit for purpose (you can’t even watch anything with the non existent brightness and very poor resolution). I’ve had the misfortune of having the A330s swapped into my BKK flight last minute twice and let me tell you it is an embarrassment for an airline who like to boast of being “five star”.

A quick comparison, 20 years apart lol

The QR A330 IFE, in 2023

The CX A346 IFE, in 2003

Old Feb 2, 2023, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
No airline is going to withdraw a frame or fleet solely because of outdated IFE kit, and the number of posters on here that seem to think anything from IFE up to entire business class seat sets can be swapped out over a long weekend is a bit odd.

I thought the A330s had already been parked before the issues with the A350s cropped up? There are some frames with EI now. I personally wouldn't expect them to hang around long, but that's just a guess. The time needed to fix the parked frames will clearly be crucial, along with whether they choose to put any extra capacity [new or repaired] towards expansion rather than getting rid of the A330s.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Indeed, pax don't get a vote on the planes that are used. Here we are knowledgeable and passionate about this stuff while most pax are clueless. Improvements to pax experience need to have an ROI. The QR A330s product is inconsistent with the rest of their fleet. Hopefully more A350s being brought [back] into service + new codeshare agreements gives QR the capacity they need to push the A330s out. I'm hoping they keep the A380s around.
etiene likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by florin
Indeed, pax don't get a vote on the planes that are used. Here we are knowledgeable and passionate about this stuff while most pax are clueless. Improvements to pax experience need to have an ROI. The QR A330s product is inconsistent with the rest of their fleet. Hopefully more A350s being brought [back] into service + new codeshare agreements gives QR the capacity they need to push the A330s out. I'm hoping they keep the A380s around.
I predict the A330 will be withdrawn first, bringing back the A350 will require qualified crew and the best source for that right now is the A330 fleet.

After that I predict the leased 777 will be next and some of the older non-Qsuite 777 will start leaving.

It makes sense for the A380 to stay on until the 777-9 is delivered, but I hope they resume the project to retrofit faster wifi on them which they announced prior to COVID.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 4:13 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by N1Rotate
I predict the A330 will be withdrawn first, bringing back the A350 will require qualified crew and the best source for that right now is the A330 fleet.

After that I predict the leased 777 will be next and some of the older non-Qsuite 777 will start leaving.

It makes sense for the A380 to stay on until the 777-9 is delivered, but I hope they resume the project to retrofit faster wifi on them which they announced prior to COVID.
Agreed, the A380s serve a useful purpose to slot constrained airports (e.g. LHR, SYD) and, despite what AAB has said to attack EK in the past, I doubt QR is going to willingly give up capacity on these routes right now with the crazy fares they are able to charge. I think (and hope!) the A380 will be here for a bit yet. The fact that most other airlines with idle A380s now appear to be reactivating them (EY, LH) is another interesting trend.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 6:42 am

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion

Will QR also ship the leased WY A330s out of DOH along with the 777s?
Old Feb 3, 2023, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: QRPC, BAEC
I think the leased 77Ws are there to stay for the meantime, the ex-CX ones are leased directly from the leasing company (i.e. it won’t be going back to CX). A third ex-VA 77W is getting ready to be flown to Doha (VH-VPD) at the moment, the fourth one (VH-VPH) is also rumoured to be heading to QR as well.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 3:57 pm

Programs: AP 50k, UA Silver, MB Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Agreed, the A380s serve a useful purpose to slot constrained airports (e.g. LHR, SYD) and, despite what AAB has said to attack EK in the past, I doubt QR is going to willingly give up capacity on these routes right now with the crazy fares they are able to charge. I think (and hope!) the A380 will be here for a bit yet. The fact that most other airlines with idle A380s now appear to be reactivating them (EY, LH) is another interesting trend.
Im hoping this is the case. Looking to snag a pair of A380 F award flights via BKK for next year but worried about equipment swap screwing me over. Will be going out of my way slightly to be able to experience the A380, would be a total buzz kill if they removed it
Old Feb 3, 2023, 4:02 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by mynameisdmoon
Im hoping this is the case. Looking to snag a pair of A380 F award flights via BKK for next year but worried about equipment swap screwing me over. Will be going out of my way slightly to be able to experience the A380, would be a total buzz kill if they removed it
I would think BKK is much more at risk of losing the A380 than LHR and SYD, personally.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 5:49 pm

I would think BKK is much more at risk of losing the A380 than LHR and SYD, personally.
That's my feelings on it too. I guess worst case scenario i can try booking both routings (from CGK and from BKK), and hope that QR doesn't cancel my booking like some airline programs do for overlapping travel times.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 4:32 am

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
Originally Posted by mynameisdmoon
That's my feelings on it too. I guess worst case scenario i can try booking both routings (from CGK and from BKK), and hope that QR doesn't cancel my booking like some airline programs do for overlapping travel times.
No A380 for sure out of CGK, usually B787 and A359, at least last minute swap to A330 do not happen.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by BobFF68
No A380 for sure out of CGK, usually B787 and A359, at least last minute swap to A330 do not happen.
oh yes the CGK back up was to take the 789 since DPS has QSuites on one of the flights and it never seems to release saver awards.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 9:49 pm

In my opinion the A380 is the best aircraft for economy travelers as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.