Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: escape4
Thought it would be worthwhile setting up a Wiki for this so all the information needed is in a single place:

The offer is being able to book 1 night in a 4 Star hotel in Doha for 23 USD or 5 Star hotel for 28 USD
The tickets need to be on 157-xxxx stock (QR) and the layover has to be for a minimum of 12 hours.

Confirmed by QR:
Offer valid for Qatar Airways confirmed ticket holders only.
Offer is available on Qatar Airways flights transiting through Doha during on-ward or return journey. (E.g.
London –Doha – Bangkok).
For two (or more) people travelling together both outward and return hotels can be booked on separate tickets.
A minimum transiting time of 12 hours is required to be eligible for this offer.
Not applicable on codeshare flights.
Other terms and conditions apply. Please review at the time of booking.
A valid visa is required to enter the country.Nationals from a total of 80 countries can now take advantage
of visa-free entry into Qatar. Entry into Qatar will be at the discretion of the immigration authorities.
Discover Qatar is not responsible for the decision taken by the immigration authorities.

Link with full information is : https://www.qatarairways.com/en/offers/plus-qatar.html
Booking page is : https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.com/us-en/plusqatar

Hotels:

To be completed think it would be useful to mention advantages / Distances from attractions here but mine is:

Warwick Doha

Transport:

By far Uber is the best option in Qatar and is easy to book using the Airport and the hotel wifi.
Print Wikipost

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2017, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Good ideas, thanks. I will check out Muscat. Doha will stay on the list, however, as I've been dying to see the MIA for nearly a year, now!
hmmm - and i thought you were merely acquiescing to pressure from your cousin to visit Doha

The museum is lovely, but it really is the only show in town. Some report it as oddly curated. I see their point of view, but I've enjoyed my visits,
Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
As someone with a two-night DOH stopover in early June, I'm really hoping they announce an extension soon.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
hmmm - and i thought you were merely acquiescing to pressure from your cousin to visit Doha

The museum is lovely, but it really is the only show in town. Some report it as oddly curated. I see their point of view, but I've enjoyed my visits,
Actually, we both have been wanting to see it. When I was there a year or two ago, I was only available on a Tuesday, the day of the week that the museum was closed at that time. But thanks, IAN-UK, -- you got a conversation between me and my cousin started, and we decided to split the time between Doha and Cairo. At least that's where we are right now....
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
....At least that's where we are right now....
I get the feeling arrangements are somewhat .... fluid
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by jinglish
As someone with a two-night DOH stopover in early June, I'm really hoping they announce an extension soon.
That makes two of us !
Old Dec 27, 2017, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The other thing to keep in mind here is that there is a $50 fee for no show for the 1-night bookings, and the reservation is not refundable. As the booking doesn't involve a credit card, it is also questionable if any cc travel insurance will cover it.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by nk15
The other thing to keep in mind here is that there is a $50 fee for no show for the 1-night bookings, and the reservation is not refundable. As the booking doesn't involve a credit card, it is also questionable if any cc travel insurance will cover it.
They will probably use your CC info from your flight booking to to take the $50 no show fee if they have to.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Flame3601
They will probably use your CC info from your flight booking to to take the $50 no show fee if they have to.
Good point, so travel insurance may cover it that way.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
i very much doubt it: the hotels booking is handled by a separate company, for bookings made in many countries it would be grossly illegal for QR to pass on your credit card details to them without your explicit permission.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic

i very much doubt it: the hotels booking is handled by a separate company, for bookings made in many countries it would be grossly illegal for QR to pass on your credit card details to them without your explicit permission.
Most likely somewhere in the fine print of your flight booking or hotel booking or both for that matter.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Most likely somewhere in the fine print of your flight booking or hotel booking or both for that matter.
Actually, even hiding it in fine print would likely not be enough. Since this relates to data protection regulations, the consent thresholds are pretty high at least across EU countries.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Actually, even hiding it in fine print would likely not be enough. Since this relates to data protection regulations, the consent thresholds are pretty high at least across EU countries.
Interesting , so how would they reclaim the no show fee then ?
Old Dec 27, 2017, 3:17 pm

Interesting , so how would they reclaim the no show fee then ?
My personal guess would be that the no show fee is part of their standard conditions, which they typically retain on paid bookings unless you try to change them (or even the two night bookings) but in all likelihood do not claim on the free 24 hour stopover (though of course, they might also send you an email asking you to pay). Note that this would be in line with no shows on airlines - many tickets (not least on QR) have no show fees, but typically, those are only levied (in addition to change fees) when you try to refund or change your ticket, not when you just do not show up and forfeit your ticket entirely.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 3:36 pm

Two things that may be relevant to the No show charge:
1. I was under the impression that the hotel demanded CC information as part of their booking confirmation because of any incidentals that occurred. In which case there would be no privacy issues.
2. The USD 50 no show fee is appears to be levied by QRs +Qatar team rather than any individual hotel thus making it a QR charge. QR certainly claim that the +Qatar scheme is administered by them.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by remdk
1. I was under the impression that the hotel demanded CC information as part of their booking confirmation because of any incidentals that occurred. In which case there would be no privacy issues..
I have used the service twice so far. Neither time was I asked to provide a credit card number before arriving at the hotel. Of the two hotels I tried, one asked me for a credit card at check in (but of course, by that time, there could be no issue of no show) and the other one gave me the choice to give a credit card if I wanted to be able to charge incidentals to the room (which I did) saying it was up to me.

Originally Posted by remdk
2. The USD 50 no show fee is appears to be levied by QRs +Qatar team rather than any individual hotel thus making it a QR charge. QR certainly claim that the +Qatar scheme is administered by them.

Your flight booking, and the credit card you give is to Qatar Airways. The +Qatar booking of the complimentary accommodation is with Discover Qatar, and it is Discover Qatar and not Qatar Airways which reserves the right to charge you in case of no show. They are two separate entities with two separate names. They may or may not belong to the same parent company, I have no idea, but this makes no difference in terms of data protection, it would be totally against existing regulations for QR to pass on credit card details provided for a transaction completed on any of its EU websites to a parent company (in fact, arguably, it would also likely be illegal for a given company to use such stored details for any other purposes than the ones specified in a given contract - such as buying a ticket but we don't even need to go there). Other countries of sale may have different rules of course.

So my understanding remains that should Discover Qatar want to impose a no show penalty, they would have to contact you after the no show and ask you to pay the $50. As mentioned, I personally doubt that they would but this, on the other hand, is pure conjecture on my part.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.