Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: escape4
Thought it would be worthwhile setting up a Wiki for this so all the information needed is in a single place:

The offer is being able to book 1 night in a 4 Star hotel in Doha for 23 USD or 5 Star hotel for 28 USD
The tickets need to be on 157-xxxx stock (QR) and the layover has to be for a minimum of 12 hours.

Confirmed by QR:
Offer valid for Qatar Airways confirmed ticket holders only.
Offer is available on Qatar Airways flights transiting through Doha during on-ward or return journey. (E.g.
London –Doha – Bangkok).
For two (or more) people travelling together both outward and return hotels can be booked on separate tickets.
A minimum transiting time of 12 hours is required to be eligible for this offer.
Not applicable on codeshare flights.
Other terms and conditions apply. Please review at the time of booking.
A valid visa is required to enter the country.Nationals from a total of 80 countries can now take advantage
of visa-free entry into Qatar. Entry into Qatar will be at the discretion of the immigration authorities.
Discover Qatar is not responsible for the decision taken by the immigration authorities.

Link with full information is : https://www.qatarairways.com/en/offers/plus-qatar.html
Booking page is : https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.com/us-en/plusqatar

Hotels:

To be completed think it would be useful to mention advantages / Distances from attractions here but mine is:

Warwick Doha

Transport:

By far Uber is the best option in Qatar and is easy to book using the Airport and the hotel wifi.
Print Wikipost

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:43 pm

Hello everyone,

on the return segment, i have under 48 hours of transit time,
and it will be on my dime.

I was thinking of marquis, westin, W residence.

which hotel(s) and how many nights would you suggest?

i've already booked the souq for 1 night as the free stopover.

My ınterests are local restaurants.

* ı have gold status wıth both hotel programs.

Thank you all.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: BAEC
Hi, looking for opinion on whether Qatar will extend this offer into 2018, and if so, when they may announce it?

I'm looking to book flights EDI-SYD for February next year, and both Etihad and Qatar are similar price for economy, Etihad have always been the preferred choice but having been to the UAE a number of time and never Qatar (and never flown them) this free stopover offer may swing the decision making.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by LothianLad
Hi, looking for opinion on whether Qatar will extend this offer into 2018, and if so, when they may announce it?

I'm looking to book flights EDI-SYD for February next year, and both Etihad and Qatar are similar price for economy, Etihad have always been the preferred choice but having been to the UAE a number of time and never Qatar (and never flown them) this free stopover offer may swing the decision making.
I don't think that anyone can give you a reliable answer on that. When the scheme was introduced for the summer, it made a lot of sense given hotels are so empty in Doha in that season, but when it was extended till 31/12, I think it is fair to say that most of us were surprised. The number of hotels included was severely reduced but probably, the boycott by neighbours created a continuing over-capacity that led to this extension.

Whether QR will extend the hotel into 2018 and when is frankly hard to guess. I'd imagine that the summer offer is likely to come again but as a year round thing, it is really impossible to tell.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I don't think that anyone can give you a reliable answer on that. When the scheme was introduced for the summer, it made a lot of sense given hotels are so empty in Doha in that season, but when it was extended till 31/12, I think it is fair to say that most of us were surprised. The number of hotels included was severely reduced but probably, the boycott by neighbours created a continuing over-capacity that led to this extension.

Whether QR will extend the hotel into 2018 and when is frankly hard to guess. I'd imagine that the summer offer is likely to come again but as a year round thing, it is really impossible to tell.
Thanks for your thoughts, I may just go for Qatar anyway and if the free offer subsequently happens then great.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 5:13 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by LothianLad

I too am interested in January 2017 so will watch this thread with interest to see if any announcements are made - my scenario was a 4 night stay outbound and a 12 hour 5 minute connection inbound - which under the summer promotion gave 2 choices. However, due to the QR annoying habit of flight timing changes this is now 4 night outbound and 11 hours and 55 minute connection which changes the outlook altogether.

If no promotion is announced I am quite happy to organise my own hotel stay but am interested to know whether QR would still honour the free airport stay for the return journey as they are the ones who have amended the timings.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:12 am

Brighterside no one knows if the +Qatar scheme will be extended into early 2018.
However do look to see if you qualify for STPC on your return. See The QR STPC (stopover) policy? for details. Whilst you cannot choose your hotel the STPC package includes a visa where required, a meal allowance and hotel transport.

You will get nowhere with QR regarding the relatively minor schedule change. The 12 hour rule (+Qatar) and 8 hour rule (STPC) are based upon your actual scheduled flights, not what was booked. That said the rules for +Qatar appear to be more liberally interpreted than the STPC rules so there is a remote chance that you could get lucky!
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Rewards, Westject Rewards
Hi,

While trying to book for the free hotel I am getting these options for my stopover date

1. Holiday villa hotel and residence
2. Warwick Doha
3. Oryx Rotana
4. Ezdan Hotel
5. Holiday Inn
6.Fraser Suites
7. Souq Waqif Boutique Hotels
8. Intercontinental Doha

I will arrive at Doha at around 4:40 pm and my next flight is at 8:10 am the next day. So I assume I can see the city for 4-5 hours only. What will be the best hotel to book in that case where I will be at close proximity to the tourist attractions and probably can make some of those?

Thank you so much.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by renesa05
Hi,

While trying to book for the free hotel I am getting these options for my stopover date

2. Warwick Doha
3. Oryx Rotana
4. Ezdan Hotel
5. Holiday Inn
6.Fraser Suites
8. Intercontinental Doha

I will arrive at Doha at around 4:40 pm and my next flight is at 8:10 am the next day. So I assume I can see the city for 4-5 hours only. What will be the best hotel to book in that case where I will be at close proximity to the tourist attractions and probably can make some of those?
Number 7. It's part of the Souq complex, and not too far from the museum (MIA): towards the airport end of the corniche, it avoids the traffic.

You can stay closer to the airport, and some of those hotels operate free shuttles/taxi transfers (3 and 5 I think do this): but the souq is fun for a couple of hours in the evening.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by renesa05
Hi,

2. Warwick Doha
3. Oryx Rotana
4. Ezdan Hotel
5. Holiday Inn
6.Fraser Suites
8. Intercontinental Doha

Thank you so much.
I would also say Souq Waqif too (if you are not that bothered about not being able to get a drink).
You can then walk around the Souq, or walk over the road to the MIA. You can also walk along the corniche, or get one of the dhow boats to take you over to the other side of the corniche towards the Sheraton
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Rewards, Westject Rewards
Thanks IAN-UK and Ben-W
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by remdk
Brighterside no one knows if the +Qatar scheme will be extended into early 2018.
However do look to see if you qualify for STPC on your return. See The QR STPC (stopover) policy? for details. Whilst you cannot choose your hotel the STPC package includes a visa where required, a meal allowance and hotel transport.

You will get nowhere with QR regarding the relatively minor schedule change. The 12 hour rule (+Qatar) and 8 hour rule (STPC) are based upon your actual scheduled flights, not what was booked. That said the rules for +Qatar appear to be more liberally interpreted than the STPC rules so there is a remote chance that you could get lucky!
Just noticed a change in the +Qatar dates of stay - now reads book by December 31 2017 stay by 30th April 2018. Also noticed change in T&C's it now reads 1 free night or 2 night stay with a booking fee of $100 per room. So back to the drawing board as I have a 4 night stay outbound and sadly 11.55 minutes inbound.

Last edited by Brighterside; Nov 5, 2017 at 2:33 am
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:43 am

Brighterside thank you for that piece of good news for many.

Your 11.55 transit on your return does not matter because you may only book +Qatar stopover once per reservation (PNR). You appear to have booked outbound so you cannot also book inbound but you may still qualify for STPC..
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by remdk
Brighterside thank you for that piece of good news for many.

Your 11.55 transit on your return does not matter because you may only book +Qatar stopover once per reservation (PNR). You appear to have booked outbound so you cannot also book inbound but you may still qualify for STPC..

Pleased to be the bringer of good news

At the moment I haven't booked any accommodation for the outbound as I have been waiting to see if the +Qatar offer was extended - which it has so good news for me. My dates for the +Q offer gives a great choice of hotels so will just have to have a look at the cost of the additional 2 nights and then look into the STPC too. Will have a good look through the threads pertaining to the +Q and get some ideas of what the various hotels offer and what people think.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:40 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Which Doha hotel offered in the Qatar free stopover programme is the best ?
I know its always subjective but is there an obvious winner ?
I have status with IHG but I doubt that'll matter !
I'll be travelling alone sadly; so no cheap companion fares for me :-(

5*
Warwick Doha
The Westin Doha Hotel And Spa
Fraser Suites Doha
Souq Waqif Boutique Hotels
Souq Waqif,, Doha, 3496
InterContinental Doha,The City

4*
Ezdan Hotel Westbay
Holiday Inn Doha,The Business Park
Holiday Villa Hotel & Residence
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Any word on whether this will be extended into next year? We have a long overnight transit that qualifies for STPC but would prefer to stay in the city or at the IC on the Gulf rather than just at an airport hotel, as it is my partner’s first time in Doha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.