Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR Al Mourjan Business Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2017, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
But they're in the airline business: they didn't set out to operate five-star restaurants.

And there's no reason why they should - they mass cater for an extraordinary number of visitors, most of whom are happy to have something of perfectly acceptable quality to eat and drink in comfortable surroundings between flights.

Gourmets hoping for a free meal of epicurean standards are likely to be disappointed.
I respectfully disagree. Not with the notion that a BC lounge doesn't have to cater to gourmet needs, but that the current buffet offer is of good enough quality. The only food offering in the lounge I find acceptable are the cook to order sandwiches at the south end.
I can get better food than what's served at the buffet at pretty much any airport for less than $10. Eating that gristly lamb biryani was a truly forgettable experience. The sweets look kinda nice, but hardly taste like anything else than sugar and artificial flavor. Until things improve, I'll just skip the buffet from now on.

One might think that an airline with an all you can eat concept in the air would like for people to fill their bellies on the ground, since offering similar food must cost a multitude more in the air. But as it is, eating on the plane is a much more pleasant experience.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by makrom
...I can get better food than what's served at the buffet at pretty much any airport for less than $10...
But there's the rub: you have to pay for it

I'm sure you can pay for it at DOH as well: there's a number of attractive looking eating and snacking places in the main concourse. I've never tried them, I'm content to graze the lounge offers.

Currently I'm in the US. Even though UA and AA have made (a few of) their lounges far more spacious and attractive, the food they put out is pretty low in quality and appeal. There are exceptions.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AVIATORPJ
You have only missed mentioning the clearly sub standard shower/"sauna" arrangements in AM and AS lounges at HIA. I can't think of any way of "dumbing down" these arrangements further.
You're right, and I'm sorry I've emerged pink and very unhappy from the SAFWA set-up, so i should have remembered.

But ventilation and air-conditioning of the units is a problem in many airport "spa" facilities. The BA arrival lounge at LHR can be so-so, but the nicest by far i've used recently was at the SWISS facility in ZRH E-terminal: bright, clean and oh so cool.

Kinda surprising QR got it so wrong though. And clearly it's something they aren't interested in putting right.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: Some
The quality of food in Al Mourjan is particularly puzzling given a) QR's food onboard catered out of DOH is generally very good and b) it's probably the only business class lounge in the world made up solely of guests paying for long-haul business class flights! I understand budget food offerings in lounges where most of the guests are there on status, but every single one in Al Mourjan has paid for a premium cabin flight.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
...I understand budget food offerings in lounges where most of the guests are there on status..
Well done, because I don't. And I'm pleased some terrific lounge operators don't doesn't either.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold
As an aside the shower & toilet staff are very friendly & efficient ^. My only gripe is people helping/offering to help me wash my hands after going to the loo feels a bit odd & uncomfortable. But that may just be a weird British perspective!
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
But there's the rub: you have to pay for it
Except that you pay for it when you purchase a Business class ticket (unless you get in with status). So I think it's not unreasonable to expect quality food in the lounge ^
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:40 am

I was in Al Mourjan yesterday and thought the food not bad at all - a rather delicious Hammour fish with Mediterranean sauce and the a rather tasty salad of halloumi cheese and oranges. Also very good mini gateaux, Madeira cake and rosewater pannacotta. Not Michelin standard but certainly not bad and I am fussy about what I eat! However why know fresh green vegetables or salads?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mict
Except that you pay for it when you purchase a Business class ticket (unless you get in with status). So I think it's not unreasonable to expect quality food in the lounge ^
I'm currently traipsing round the US. I'll try that argument on AA, UA et al

Seriously, there's nothing wrong with the quality of the food in the lounges at DOH. Simply the range of the service has been cut back to a level matching that generally available to business-class travellers in the lounges of other carriers.

It's the cutting back that has embittered the airline's followers. Start 'em off with waiter service and a la carte menus then it's pure cruelty to expect the poor souls to face a buffet and sandwich set-up ....
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
I'm currently traipsing round the US. I'll try that argument on AA, UA et al

Seriously, there's nothing wrong with the quality of the food in the lounges at DOH. Simply the range of the service has been cut back to a level matching that generally available to business-class travellers in the lounges of other carriers.

It's the cutting back that has embittered the airline's followers. Start 'em off with waiter service and a la carte menus then it's pure cruelty to expect the poor souls to face a buffet and sandwich set-up ....
I rather like the "sandwich set-up'". There's something rather agreeable about the deli restaurant & having a glass of champagne with a bespoke sarnie, especially given it's quite elegant in there.

Agree with Ian, there are worse things to worry about.

Last edited by impeymac; Mar 26, 2017 at 9:54 am
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: AC, AF, EY, AA
Good morning all,
From your experience I wanted to know how busy get the showers during the following timeframes:
Arriving DOH @ 1715 and departing @ 2035
Arriving DOH @ 0525 and departing @ 0730
Any lines to expect or it should be a no brainer ?
Thanks for your insights !
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by floco
Good morning all,
From your experience I wanted to know how busy get the showers during the following timeframes:
Arriving DOH @ 1715 and departing @ 2035
Arriving DOH @ 0525 and departing @ 0730
Any lines to expect or it should be a no brainer ?
Thanks for your insights !
floco

17.15-20.35: There may be a mini 'rush hour' of regional flights early on, but nothing to worry about. Towards the end of the period the build up to the late evening, large, wave of flights has started and the lounge gets very busy.
05.25-07.30: This is the middle of the large morning wave of flights and the lounge will be very busy. Indeed some say it is packed tight.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: AC, AF, EY, AA
Originally Posted by remdk
floco

17.15-20.35: There may be a mini 'rush hour' of regional flights early on, but nothing to worry about. Towards the end of the period the build up to the late evening, large, wave of flights has started and the lounge gets very busy.
05.25-07.30: This is the middle of the large morning wave of flights and the lounge will be very busy. Indeed some say it is packed tight.
Thank you!
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:33 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
floco

I agree pretty much with you here but of course "it depends". I came through on Wednesday (so a mid-week, some would say quieter period) and at 0545 it was busy but seats aplenty. What was busy, was the transfer lines, in fact, they were rammed full and overflowing, causing a circa 15 minute wait.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
What he said. Don't forget to add in time to walk to security (10 min), get through security (10 min), walk to lounge (5 min), walk to gate (7-15 min, depending), and start boarding maybe 40(?) minutes before scheduled flight time.

I wouldn't count on a shower with that timing. Actually that's my usual timing when I'm flying westbound to the U.S. What I usually do is check the line. On those rare occasions when I can get right in, I shower, but not otherwise. Just cutting it too close for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.