Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2019, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
How early can one get into the lounge? Is it open all night? ... I guess revenue/award ticket doesn’t matter, as long as it’s not upgraded?
Originally Posted by afmiami
It is open all night. As far as I know, you are correct, as long as it is not an upgrade, if you are in business class you can access by paying the fee, regardless if it is award or revenue ticket. No more than 6 hours in the private sleeping room.
Yes, J passengers can purchase access to Al Safwa as long as they are not on upgraded tickets. Award tickets are revenue tickets; they just use a different currency. For purchased access, there is a six hour limit on your access to the lounge, itself, not just the sleeping rooms. That said, enforcement of that particular rule is far from consistent, based on FT reports.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
.... Award tickets are revenue tickets; they just use a different currency..
I am ongoing the opinion that upgraded tickets are revenue tickets as well - it was paid to travel in Business Class, just with usage of different currency, if paid with miles ore Qcredits, or even with cash.
But apparently QR does not acknowledge my opinion ;-)
Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:00 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
So by all accounts, even with paid access ( and some posters up in arms that it would spoil the lounge) the lounge is still relatively quiet?

I still think if they allowed plats travelling in J a few free entries a to the lounge a year, it was be seen as a good incentive. I have only visited the lounge twice and both times it was earily quiet over my 8 hour stopover.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
When I paid for access earlier this year, it was very quiet the whole time. We were pretty much the only guests. I think I saw one other couple.
Except for FlyerTalk users, almost nobody seems to know that you can purchase access and they don't advertise it. While I was paying to get in, other J passengers arrived and were sent away to the Al Mourjan lounge. They didn't even try to sell them access.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
So by all accounts, even with paid access ( and some posters up in arms that it would spoil the lounge) the lounge is still relatively quiet?

I still think if they allowed plats travelling in J a few free entries a to the lounge a year, it was be seen as a good incentive. I have only visited the lounge twice and both times it was earily quiet over my 8 hour stopover.
I bought the entrance several times, when it was 250 QAR - the highest number of people I did see there was around 12...
So I guess with 600 QAR entrance fee, the number will not be higher ;-)
Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Traveller999
I bought the entrance several times, when it was 250 QAR - the highest number of people I did see there was around 12...
So I guess with 600 QAR entrance fee, the number will not be higher ;-)
Such a shame as it is an incredible space. The islamic museum pieces are apt though as it's reminiscent of a museum. Never been overly impressed with the food offerings at breakfast but the sleeper rooms, lounge soaces and drink offerings are superb.

Clearly a lack of marketing/public knowledge and the prohibitive 600QAR is ensuring that paid access is minimal.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Flamenguista
Yes. I recently accessed the lounge on an award ticket to MCT booked with American Miles,
Does it still work? I have a single DOH-MCT ticket for Avios in F.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by Mateuszz
Does it still work? I have a single DOH-MCT ticket for Avios in F.
It worked just fine with my DOH-KWI Avios ticket in QR F.
Mateuszz likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: Mucci, Untappd 8000+
Quick update on the raw meat coming to Al Safwa:
This chef tells me they are still working on it but no set date as of now.
He suggested having fresh fish from the Gulf instead: Hamour it was.
It is still a lonely Grande Dame, who still keeps me company.
nilsfr69 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: KLM Flying Blue, Singapore Airlines Kris Flyer, British Airways Executive Club
Hoping to get some clarifications on the rules for using the sleeping rooms - traveling on BA F (DOH to LHR) and departure time is early in the morning at around 06:00. We have no check-in luggage so can just do online check-in (e-boarding pass) and intend to arrive at the airport/lounge much earlier than the standard 3 hours prior to ETD. I know we should have no problem accessing the lounge early but what are the rules on using the sleeping rooms??
Are the sleeping rooms reserved for transit passengers (with a transit time of more than 4 hours as I have read this on another thread)?
Also read that there is a time limit of 6 hours but does this applies to passengers traveling on J and paid the access for AS or does it also applies to passengers traveling on F (ex-DOH)?
Old Nov 4, 2019, 5:39 am

It is only for QR passengers, you will not get access.

Sorry, my bad, wrong information, it seems. Somebody else should be able to answer your question. Sorry for the confusion!
Old Nov 4, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
The 6 hours is only for paid upgrades.

Your itinerary will be fine. My boss spent 16 hours in there on BA F connecting to QR J just this last week.

8 hour delay of onward flight while at gate waiting to board the original one, before anyone did what I did and ask why he didn’t go into Doha
chinhk likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by chinhk
Hoping to get some clarifications on the rules for using the sleeping rooms - traveling on BA F (DOH to LHR) and departure time is early in the morning at around 06:00. We have no check-in luggage so can just do online check-in (e-boarding pass) and intend to arrive at the airport/lounge much earlier than the standard 3 hours prior to ETD. I know we should have no problem accessing the lounge early but what are the rules on using the sleeping rooms??
Are the sleeping rooms reserved for transit passengers (with a transit time of more than 4 hours as I have read this on another thread)?
Also read that there is a time limit of 6 hours but does this applies to passengers traveling on J and paid the access for AS or does it also applies to passengers traveling on F (ex-DOH)?
I've arrived at 10pm for a 10am flight. Availability of sleeping rooms is on first-come, first-serve basis and not guaranteed, but otherwise there are no rules (unlike Turkish Airlines, for example, that's very peculiar in terms of how rooms are allocated.)

There is no limit on the duration on your stay if you are booked in First Class. As long as you can clear security and immigration, you can use the lounge. In my experience, the check-in agent did not bat an eye when I arrived 12 hours early.
chinhk likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Pat Plus
I've arrived at 10pm for a 10am flight. Availability of sleeping rooms is on first-come, first-serve basis and not guaranteed, but otherwise there are no rules (unlike Turkish Airlines, for example, that's very peculiar in terms of how rooms are allocated.)

There is no limit on the duration on your stay if you are booked in First Class. As long as you can clear security and immigration, you can use the lounge. In my experience, the check-in agent did not bat an eye when I arrived 12 hours early.
There is a limit on how long you can access the private sleeping rooms though. Isn't it 6 hours?
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
There is a limit on how long you can access the private sleeping rooms though. Isn't it 6 hours?
I expect absolutely no limit if you are traveling in F and have the boarding pass in hand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.