Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2019, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Oy.

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I am here now and am having an awful time. I don't get what the hype is about. I have a First Class ticket, but if I had to pay extra to get in, I would ask for a full refund and leave.

Problems:
*Bathroom/shower rooms are a good 10-15 degrees warmer than the rest of the lounge. When I tried to ask one of the attendants about this, they tried to argue with me about the temperature instead of just looking into it or escalating it so it was handled appropriately.
There's no ventilation in any of the shower rooms. They're essentially closed boxes. It's the same in the Al Mourjan showers. For whatever reason, whether intentionally or through oversight, that's the way that they were designed. Shower attendant likely knows nothing about this. IIRC there's a thread where this was discussed at some length.

*I asked for additional shower gel and they loaded me up with body lotion but removed all the shower gel. I only noticed this after I was wet (which is my fault) so I ended up using the hand soap instead.
Gave you lotion and removed shower gel? Do you see that as anything but an honest mistake? You were out of shower gel and the attendant thought that he was taking the empty away and giving you a new shower gel bottle. He made a mistake.

HOWEVER, a staff member decided to walk in on me - coming into the shower room where I was standing naked after the shower - to bring me shower gel. This blew my mind and probably made me the most upset.
I have no doubt that someone walking in on you while you were standing there was disconcerting at best. That said, the shower rooms have locks, and I've never used one of the rooms without locking the lock as soon as I was inside.

*The dining room has two local parents with two little girls running around, jumping and stomping on the furniture, pushing their strollers with dolls in it around the bar and running into guests, and just being loud. Also listening to their iPads with no headphones on. I complained about this to the dining room Supervisor, who said he would ask them to leave after warning them once. He warned them. Then, they continued, and he didn't do anything, claiming they are locals and difficult to control. WHAT?
There are, indeed, cultural differences to be considered, as R2 pointed out. Apart from speaking to the parent(s), there's probably not much that the Supervisor could do. It would be a major event for him to have asked them to leave, and might well have had consequences for him. You're not in an Admirals Club.

*Ordered the tenderloin medium. They said the least they cook it is medium well. It came out well done the first time, then the second time. Apparently the meat is pre cooked...in a First Class Lounge?
Again, this has been discussed at length in the past, can't recall if it was in this thread or another. Apparently there is some draconian fire-prevention regulation which is the problem, IIRC.

*They don't serve Diet Coke. Only Diet Pepsi. Not cool for an international First Class Lounge.
Why? Because you prefer Coke? I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that most soft drink outlets choose one or the other. SPG was a Coke company, but now that it's been acquired by Marriott, everything's Pepsi.

*They have no pressing/steaming/button repair service.
IME availability of this service in an airport lounge is the exception, not the rule.
texex91 and kennycbr like this.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Sep 2, 2019 at 8:50 pm
Old Sep 3, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by R2
A new issue is your second point of someone entering your shower room while you were there naked. It's a good idea to lock the door when taking a shower at an airport lounge.
So I understand that many airport lounges don't have great ventilation in the showers. However, it wasn't just the shower, but the entire bathroom facility that the first shower they took me to, was connected to. It seemed to have vents, just nothing flowing.

Then, they moved me to the spa area, and had me use a massage room that also had a shower room connected to it (where the ventilation was just as bad, but it was time to move on).

I went in, opened up my stuff, closed the curtains, LOCKED the front door to the massage room, removed my clothes, and went into the shower room.

The shower room was so hot that I wanted the steam to vent out into the massage room, so I propped the door to the shower room. The door to the massage room was locked, but somehow someone still entered past that, saw my stuff and my clothes laid out, and still thought it appropriate to poke into the semi-propped shower room which was clearly in use. Nonsensical and awful service and awful judgment on behalf of the staff member.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Gave you lotion and removed shower gel? Do you see that as anything but an honest mistake? You were out of shower gel and the attendant thought that he was taking the empty away and giving you a new shower gel bottle. He made a mistake.
Not quite. They were supposed to have 3 small bottles in the shower room: shampoo, conditioner, and bath gel. This is what was in the first shower room. Except in the second shower room (which had the massage room connected to it), the 1 bottle that was supposed to be bath gel was actually body lotion, and I didn't pay attention after moving showers, and didn't notice until I was naked and the water was running.

Prior to setting up in the new massage room/shower room, I asked for additional bath gel, knowing 1 bottle wouldn't be enough for me. Someone grabbed me 2 bottles of what was supposed to be bath gel, but was actually more body lotion. The person spoke perfect English because it was the QR employee in red who was manning the spa "desk" that got them for me.

So I had 3 bottles of body lotion with no bath gel. An oversight was made twice: once when they initially setup the shower with body lotion but not bath gel, and then again when they brought me additional body lotion that was supposed to be bath gel. While honest mistakes, they don't indicate the level of service/attention to detail, that one would expect in a First Class Lounge, that's all I'm saying.

There are, indeed, cultural differences to be considered, as R2 pointed out. Apart from speaking to the parent(s), there's probably not much that the Supervisor could do. It would be a major event for him to have asked them to leave, and might well have had consequences for him. You're not in an Admirals Club.
I understand the cultural differences as I am ethnically Middle Eastern myself. However, I hate that "locals" think they are entitled to anything above and beyond what any other guest would receive.

You could hear these kids screaming from the dining room, from the entrance. The desk Supervisor (right inside the front entrance) called his Manager, who eventually arrived and agreed the noise levels were WAY too much and he insisted they move to the family area, which eventually they did.

But it shouldn't take 6 complaints and over an hour of time to resolve a noise issue. Either QR wants to be considered a global carrier that enforces their rules fairly and employs global standards, or not. Treating locals "differently" in a First Class Lounge makes them decidedly not competitive on a global scale for their premium products.

Why? Because you prefer Coke? I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that most soft drink outlets choose one or the other. SPG was a Coke company, but now that it's been acquired by Marriott, everything's Pepsi.

IME availability of this service in an airport lounge is the exception, not the rule.
I would have been totally satisfied with the lounge if the only things on my "improvement list" were the beverage choices and the pressing/button repair service. These would just be "nice to haves."

An International First Lounge should have both major beverage choices available. This is not a McDonald's or a Marriott where they choose one or the other - I get that.

I wouldn't expect them to have an obscure brand like RC Cola or Cheerwine, but Coca Cola? When the ticket and entry prices are what they are? When AirFrance's La Premiere lounge has 12 different major "luxury" brands of bottled water alone to choose from? Come on.

The Manager who arrived from a different location actually thought the steaming/button repair service was a great idea and said he would pass that along as he liked that idea. Not a major detractor, but it would be wonderful if they offered this service.

Thanks all for your feedback, I'm just sharing my single experience And letting others know not to expect La Premiere levels of First Class Lounge by paying the entry fee to get in here.
Traveller999 and quinzinho like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I understand that many airport lounges don't have great ventilation in the showers. However, it wasn't just the shower, but the entire bathroom facility that the first shower they took me to, was connected to. It seemed to have vents, just nothing flowing.
None of the showers seem to have any vents, let alone actual ventilation. It can get really oppressive. I take cooler showers there because of that, to produce less/no steam. In the sleeping rooms, I use the trash can to prop the bathroom door open.

Not quite. They were supposed to have 3 small bottles in the shower room: shampoo, conditioner, and bath gel.
I've never been in the spa area. In the regular showers, they have three large bottles with push-down squirter mechanisms on top. I would have guessed that each bottle would suffice for at least a couple dozen showers.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:11 am

I've never been in the spa area. In the regular showers, they have three large bottles with push-down squirter mechanisms on top. I would have guessed that each bottle would suffice for at least a couple dozen showers.
The first shower I went to only had hand soap using a push-down squirter and three small ~1 oz bottles in the shower (shampoo, conditioner, shower gel) and 2 x ~1 oz bottles of body lotion next to the sink.

The spa shower also had 3 small bottles in the shower, no body lotion by the sink, and again a hand soap using a push down squirter. I removed the squirter and used the hand soap as bath gel (and then told the staff in case they probably didn't want to re-use that hand soap bottle for another guest). I also left the squirter out of the bottle so it was double clear to whomever was cleaning up after me.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: Too Many
Wow. Well no one was holding you hostage there--if it was not acceptable just leave. The only complaint I find even remotely valid is how hot shower area is (I agree). The rest is just whining IMHO...YOU didn't lock the door, not their fault. They don't serve drinks you like--too bad. I wished they served Krug, but they don't--who cares.

Find another airline that suits your needs. Maybe stick with AF.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by texex91
Wow. Well no one was holding you hostage there--if it was not acceptable just leave. The only complaint I find even remotely valid is how hot shower area is (I agree). The rest is just whining IMHO...YOU didn't lock the door, not their fault. They don't serve drinks you like--too bad. I wished they served Krug, but they don't--who cares.

Find another airline that suits your needs. Maybe stick with AF.
Whining? You clearly didn't correctly read what I posted - I LOCKED the room that the shower was connected to. There was no other way to enter my room besides through that LOCKED door.

Maybe if another customer walked in, no big deal. But a staff member walks in, sees the steam from the shower and hears it, sees my clothes laid out and my belongings, and STILL proceeds further in? That is unacceptable.

And noise issues are serious. This is a First Class Lounge, not a Chuck E Cheese's. There is a reason they have segregated, sealed off family areas in that lounge. And there is a reason they have rules regarding noise and decorum. And it's crazy to suggest that I should be the one to leave when someone else is violating the rules and causing the problem - THEY should be the ones to leave.

If you think these issues are whining, I hope you never work for an airline or in any hospitality-business because I cringe to think how you would treat your customers...
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: Too Many
Whining? You clearly didn't correctly read what I posted - I LOCKED the room that the shower was connected to. There was no other way to enter my room besides through that LOCKED door.

Maybe if another customer walked in, no big deal. But a staff member walks in, sees the steam from the shower and hears it, sees my clothes laid out and my belongings, and STILL proceeds further in? That is unacceptable.

And noise issues are serious. This is a First Class Lounge, not a Chuck E Cheese's. There is a reason they have segregated, sealed off family areas in that lounge. And there is a reason they have rules regarding noise and decorum. And it's crazy to suggest that I should be the one to leave when someone else is violating the rules and causing the problem - THEY should be the ones to leave.

If you think these issues are whining, I hope you never work for an airline or in any hospitality-business because I cringe to think how you would treat your customers...
Oh no you will never find me working in airline biz--as I'd laugh of someone cried about no Coke products.

I do agree kids need to be behaved, issue is parents are at fault for allowing such behavior. If it were up to me kids would not be allowed in Biz or First on flights...but I'm not in charge as I'm not in airlines biz
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by texex91
Oh no you will never find me working in airline biz--as I'd laugh of someone cried about no Coke products.

I do agree kids need to be behaved, issue is parents are at fault for allowing such behavior. If it were up to me kids would not be allowed in Biz or First on flights...but I'm not in charge as I'm not in airlines biz
I just asked if they have Coke products and they said Pepsi only. I took a Pepsi and moved on, no complaints - just came here to say it was surprising for a lounge of such caliber.

Not only were the kids loud, they were jumping with dirty shoes all over the nice furniture in the lounge. That by itself should be reason enough for removal - disrespecting the airline's investment in the product and disrespecting the other passengers who will use that shared space.

If I sat in my suit on one of their fancy restaurant chairs and got crud on my pants because a child was jumping all over the seat, I would be pissed to say the least.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
I just asked if they have Coke products and they said Pepsi only. I took a Pepsi and moved on, no complaints - just came here to say it was surprising for a lounge of such caliber.

Not only were the kids loud, they were jumping with dirty shoes all over the nice furniture in the lounge. That by itself should be reason enough for removal - disrespecting the airline's investment in the product and disrespecting the other passengers who will use that shared space.

If I sat in my suit on one of their fancy restaurant chairs and got crud on my pants because a child was jumping all over the seat, I would be pissed to say the least.
Unfortunately, as others have said, this is the gulf and it’s the way it is out there. I learnt this the hard way (had to deal with a full glass of glenlivet being spilled on me by some uncontrolled brat), and no amount of complaining or venting on FT is gonna change it. Simple fact is, if you’re a local with means, no one is gonna touch you or have the authority to change your behavior unless it’s another local who’s higher up the food chain than you. And you really really can’t fault the staff; being that they’re all ex-pat workers, if they piss off one higher up local, that could spell the end of their employment and residency in Doha. This is the price we pay to fly with the flag carrier of a frankly authoritarian traditionalist monarchy. If you don’t like the way things are, you can vote with your dollars.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 7:28 pm

Talking about no-vent showers, they don't even have proper cold water stream. Their cold line water temp is above warm at its best... I love cold showers, and this was my only complaint.

I also used massage room&shower combo, helped with the steam... Nobody bothered me during my stay in the room
Old Sep 8, 2019, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sevimli
Talking about no-vent showers, they don't even have proper cold water stream. Their cold line water temp is above warm at its best... I love cold showers, and this was my only complaint.
Yes, my friends and I have noticed that, too. And it's worse during northern hemisphere summer. Apparently the airport does't have a water chilling system similar to that in some higher end hotels. The tap water at that time of year is just inescapably hot, for obvious reasons.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
A friend asked last night at Al Mourjan and was told that paid access is 150 USD and only available on revenue tickets. Could anyone confirm this is definitely the case?

I'll be travelling through Doha in November on an Asia Miles award and was hoping to spend my long layover in Al Safwa -- even at 150 USD I would consider it given the high rates at the airside transit hotel.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 9:39 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
A friend asked last night at Al Mourjan and was told that paid access is 150 USD and only available on revenue tickets. Could anyone confirm this is definitely the case?

I'll be travelling through Doha in November on an Asia Miles award and was hoping to spend my long layover in Al Safwa -- even at 150 USD I would consider it given the high rates at the airside transit hotel.
There is a specific thread about this - have a look here
J Passengers can pay for Al Sawfa Access - Now 600 QAR
Kilian Zoll likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
How early can one get into the lounge? Is it open all night?
I’m thinking about arriving in QR J in the early morning (either 1AM or 5AM) and continuing to KWI in QR F (on a separate ticket) in the afternoon.
Would be great to catch some zzZZzz and spend the day working from the lounge.
I guess revenue/award ticket doesn’t matter, as long as it’s not upgraded?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: SEN LH Hyatt Globalist AA EXP
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
How early can one get into the lounge? Is it open all night?
I’m thinking about arriving in QR J in the early morning (either 1AM or 5AM) and continuing to KWI in QR F (on a separate ticket) in the afternoon.
Would be great to catch some zzZZzz and spend the day working from the lounge.
I guess revenue/award ticket doesn’t matter, as long as it’s not upgraded?
It is open all night. As far as I know, you are correct, as long as it is not an upgrade, if you are in business class you can access by paying the fee, regardless if it is award or revenue ticket. No more than 6 hours in the private sleeping room.
ChocolateFactory likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.