Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue, Singapore Airlines Kris Flyer, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by 747jetter
If you are transiting, dont worry about weird faces but if you checking in in DOH than you get some weird faces I was in lounge from 4pm to 7am before my 8am flight.
How early can one check-in at DOH? I thought check-in counters are usually open three hours prior to flight departure time.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by chinhk
I thought check-in counters are usually open three hours prior to flight departure time.
This is valid for outstations not for hubs, which in this case is DOH.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA PPro, QF Gold, DL Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
Hi everyone.

Random question. I am flying DFW-DOH-AKL in business next week (AA Award ticket). I have about 10.5 hours transit in DOH. Not interested to get out and about as I have been to DOH before and this trip to the states has left me shattered as I have been helping my mum who has cancer and going through some brutal rounds of chemo. I am keen to check out the Al Safwa lounge to enjoy some beverages and some relaxing before heading to the Al Mourjan before the flight to AKL.

In saying this, I would also like to get a stamp in my new passport, as I am newly minted dual citizen and will be traveling back to NZ on that passport. My luggage will be checked all the way through and will be with my carryon at this point. Is this feasible? After getting visa/stamp, can I rock up to the business class check in (hoping to obtain BP in DFW) and head to the Al Safwa and pay to get in?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by crankychick
Hi everyone.

Random question. I am flying DFW-DOH-AKL in business next week (AA Award ticket). I have about 10.5 hours transit in DOH. Not interested to get out and about as I have been to DOH before and this trip to the states has left me shattered as I have been helping my mum who has cancer and going through some brutal rounds of chemo. I am keen to check out the Al Safwa lounge to enjoy some beverages and some relaxing before heading to the Al Mourjan before the flight to AKL.

In saying this, I would also like to get a stamp in my new passport, as I am newly minted dual citizen and will be traveling back to NZ on that passport. My luggage will be checked all the way through and will be with my carryon at this point. Is this feasible? After getting visa/stamp, can I rock up to the business class check in (hoping to obtain BP in DFW) and head to the Al Safwa and pay to get in?

Thanks in advance!
If you mean by entering and exiting DOH when you say "get a stamp in my new passport", the immigration authorities may not let you as your layover is shorter than 12h. However, if you want to enter and exit DOH, you could take advantage of the free stopover hotel which would be free to you as there are no connections minimum than 8hrs for traveling between DFW and AKL. You could simply request a hotel from the hotel desk, pass immigration with the hotel voucher and go up to the departures floor. Also taking the city tour would work but you need to pay for that. These are the only ways that I know how to enter Qatar with a layover shorter than 12 hours. I don't think it's worth entering DOH and exiting in minutes as immigration officers in DOH may not be friendly as their European counterparts. If you intend to take the hotel option or the tour, it may be worth it.

Also, you could also pay for Al Safwa access online at the manage my booking section in the QR website, AFAIK.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:07 am

Programs: BAEC
As echoed above, there has been at least one case reported on the QR forum of someone rocking up to Doha immigration with a layover of several hours saying they want to exit the airport for a short period of time only to be denied. No one on the forum was able to point to a specific rule about minimum stay requirements to be able to enter Doha, but if you want to make a quick entry to Doha you might want to be sure that you state you want to head downtown to take some pics for several hours or similar rather than just get some stamps in your passport. If you then end up going back through immigration quickly and queried then perhaps you just didn't feel so well once you got outside...
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: AA PPro, QF Gold, DL Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
Thanks for the responses.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Recently entered DOH for a very short night of much needed sleep at the Oryx Rotana, Layover was not more than 7h from plane door to plane door. But told immigration exactly that, staying there (@OR).
Old Apr 30, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: Mucci, Untappd 8000+
Man, it’s busy tonight. I counted up to thirty people at one time.

Grande Dame 2006 it still is.

Pickled ginger from the (less memorable) sushi section remains a fabulous Champagne pairing to me.

Shame they precook the tenderloin so you can’t have it blue.

Rejoice, QR friends!
Old May 1, 2019, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If you mean by entering and exiting DOH when you say "get a stamp in my new passport", the immigration authorities may not let you as your layover is shorter than 12h. However, if you want to enter and exit DOH, you could take advantage of the free stopover hotel which would be free to you as there are no connections minimum than 8hrs for traveling between DFW and AKL. You could simply request a hotel from the hotel desk, pass immigration with the hotel voucher and go up to the departures floor. Also taking the city tour would work but you need to pay for that. These are the only ways that I know how to enter Qatar with a layover shorter than 12 hours. I don't think it's worth entering DOH and exiting in minutes as immigration officers in DOH may not be friendly as their European counterparts. If you intend to take the hotel option or the tour, it may be worth it.

Also, you could also pay for Al Safwa access online at the manage my booking section in the QR website, AFAIK.
How did you pay for AlSafwa access online at the manage my booking section? I look on the Qatar website under manage booking I do not see this option? thanks!
Old May 2, 2019, 7:28 am

LHR DOH F then connecting with RJ J DOH AMM in one PNR AA LHR DOH AMM award redemption allowed into the the AS?
Old May 3, 2019, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Yes .
Old May 3, 2019, 10:46 am

Thought I'd update post travel based on a longer layover/connection. We travelled on 2 separate award tickets - Y from MLE-DOH which arrived at 2pm then onwards in F from DOH-FRA which departed at 8am the next day. Asked the check-in clerk at MLE if we could get our bags checked all the way through to FRA which they did and meant we didn't have to go through immigration, collect bags and recheck straight away so I'd advise others to do the same if they're on 2 separate tickets with QR.

We got to Al Safwa around 3pm and they were more than happy to let us in. There were a few raised eyebrows when various staff asked when our departure was but it was no problem exiting and re-entering. We went out to use the gym and get a massage and it was no problem. As soon as we arrived we went to book the sleeping rooms and was told there was no need to book and to come back when we wanted. We ended up going back at 1am and were granted one straight away. Rooms were basic but good enough for a quick sleep.

It was busier than I thought it would be (although still not "busy") and we met a couple who had paid to get in, so assuming a few others did the same. Food and service were good although concur with the sentiments about the beef being pre-cooked, only had the option of medium well or well! Minor gripe though and will definitely look to upgrade in the future if we need somewhere to sleep.
Old May 17, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
Flying LHR-DOH in F arriving 1855. Next day 0740 flight in J DOH-IST. Can I access AS on arrival. What about the next morning... which lounge can I access?
Old May 17, 2019, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheRoad
Flying LHR-DOH in F arriving 1855. Next day 0740 flight in J DOH-IST. Can I access AS on arrival. What about the next morning... which lounge can I access?
Same ticket: AS from the arrival of your LHR flight until the departure of IST flight
Seperate ticket: AM before IST flight, arrivals lounge after LHR flight
Old May 17, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
Thanks. That's great. Same ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.