Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2019, 5:21 pm

I have a ticket issue in F from Perth to Doha. Can I use Al Safwa as arrival lounge (my flight to my final destinations is just 2 days later in J)
Old Nov 13, 2019, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by xabauu
I have a ticket issue in F from Perth to Doha. Can I use Al Safwa as arrival lounge (my flight to my final destinations is just 2 days later in J)
If your layover is shorter than 48 hours, you might have a chance.
If not, you would not be eligible to benefit from the Al Safwa Lounge.

You would need your onward boarding pass to clear transfer security at DOH, if your layover is shorter than 48 hours, proceed to the transfer desk to claim your boarding pass, clear security and head to the Al Safwa Lounge. Later on, leave the airport.

If your layover is longer than 48 hours, it's not possible to issue an onward boarding pass for your next flight.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Pat Plus
I've arrived at 10pm for a 10am flight. Availability of sleeping rooms is on first-come, first-serve basis and not guaranteed, but otherwise there are no rules (unlike Turkish Airlines, for example, that's very peculiar in terms of how rooms are allocated.)

There is no limit on the duration on your stay if you are booked in First Class. As long as you can clear security and immigration, you can use the lounge. In my experience, the check-in agent did not bat an eye when I arrived 12 hours early.
Good to know it's possible to do 12hrs before F flight!

But how about 24hrs before ex-DOH flight? 10am - 10am(+1) Is it possible?
Old Nov 23, 2019, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by behyx
Good to know it's possible to do 12hrs before F flight!

But how about 24hrs before ex-DOH flight? 10am - 10am(+1) Is it possible?
The lounge is nice but not nice enough to spend 24 hours there. I got bored and I was only there for 2 and a half.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I don’t believe there’s any lounge in the world, even it it gives you a continuous i.v. infusion of Chateau Yquem, that Id be willing to spend that much time in.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 3:18 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by DiamondMile
The lounge is nice but not nice enough to spend 24 hours there. I got bored and I was only there for 2 and a half.
So based on reports, I don’t think this is the case, but say if one did have unlimited access to one of the bedrooms and weren’t limited to 6 hours, I could actually understand spending 24 hours in AS (although it’s still kinda crazy imho). I’d look at it as spending a day in an (indoor) all inclusive “resort” to an extent. However, without having unlimited access to a bedroom, the point is moot and yes, it would be insane to spend 24 hrs in AS, regardless of how great the space is. And with that said, I would never go out of my way to schedule a super long layover just so I could hang at AS.

Last edited by fender5787; Nov 23, 2019 at 9:16 am
Old Nov 23, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Mozart0815
I don’t believe there’s any lounge in the world, even it it gives you a continuous i.v. infusion of Chateau Yquem, that Id be willing to spend that much time in.
Agreed. Two hours or so is enough for me in Al Safwa, nice though the place is. Anything over three hours, and the boredom sets in .......... ready to move on again.
NoY and Mozart0815 like this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 3:33 am

Programs: BRK-B
Any update on paid access, is it still 600 QAR?, do they accept cash?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 2:28 pm

Hi

I am arriving BA F into DOH, and have then 20 hours until QR F to Perth,

Am I able to use the lounge for the full 20 hours? Will the 6 hour limit on the sleeping rooms that I've heard about be enforced, or if you are on back to back F segments (on the same PNR), can you have the sleeping room for the duration of your connection time?

Many thanks
Old Dec 7, 2019, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by drmish1
Hi

I am arriving BA F into DOH, and have then 20 hours until QR F to Perth,

Am I able to use the lounge for the full 20 hours? Will the 6 hour limit on the sleeping rooms that I've heard about be enforced, or if you are on back to back F segments (on the same PNR), can you have the sleeping room for the duration of your connection time?

Many thanks
Same ticket -> No time restriction for the lounge but you might have a restriction for the sleeping room.
Consider booking a discounted stopover if you want to maximize sleep.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:07 pm

thanks,

In people's experience, are the lounge agents happy to offer a further 6 hour sleep room extension, if on a long connection? or strictly 1 x 6 hour per person?

Cheers
Old Dec 8, 2019, 1:40 am

Programs: Qatar Platinum
Originally Posted by drmish1
thanks,

In people's experience, are the lounge agents happy to offer a further 6 hour sleep room extension, if on a long connection? or strictly 1 x 6 hour per person?

Cheers
Was there yesterday. They are very strict on the 6 hour time limit. They make you sign a sheet of paper saying if you would like to extend it by another 6 hours, you have to pay QAR 460 (roughly USD 120). The lounge attendant I got was outride rude, I had to complain to his supervisor.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
You’ll go stir crazy spending 20 hours in a lounge (yes ....even Al Safwa), and I’m willing to bet you’ll never want to do it again.

You’re travelling First class. Treat yourself to a proper hotel room
Old Dec 8, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by subject2load
You’ll go stir crazy spending 20 hours in a lounge (yes ....even Al Safwa), and I’m willing to bet you’ll never want to do it again.

You’re travelling First class. Treat yourself to a proper hotel room
+1. And with the Qatar stopover peogram
you’ll get a very decent hotel room for less than the price of a breakfast elsewhere.

Plus, if you do as I did you get a full guided city tour plus to ride a quad around the desert, for again less of the price that Al Safwa charges for 6 incremental hours.
subject2load and nilsfr69 like this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Mozart0815
+1. And with the Qatar stopover peogram
you’ll get a very decent hotel room for less than the price of a breakfast elsewhere.

Plus, if you do as I did you get a full guided city tour plus to ride a quad around the desert, for again less of the price that Al Safwa charges for 6 incremental hours.
Interesting - thanks.

1) can you use the Qatar stopover program on award tickets?
2) how would you actually book this if arriving at 5am (bearing in mind check-in usually not until 11am at best), and departing late that evening (same day) to get back to al Safwa ? - either you would not get in to the room upon arrival, or, if booked for the night before, would be kicked out of the room at midday-ish..... unless I'm mistaken?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.