Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2023, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Neilgcal
How can you board by bus from the lounge? Do you just ask the staff to drive you to the plane?
There isn't the will, resources or exclusivity to offer that sort of service: the sort Lufthansa offers from its first-class terminal. There, all users (travellers in F and very-top-tier status fliers, whatever their class of travel) get a lift the plane, remotely parked or not.

Sadly my regional F flights (mainly Jeddah, sometimes Cairo) have had me hurrying to far-flung gates for boarding. First-class alone doesn't seem to trigger a pick-up: I think First and remote might be the key; certainly Business and Diamond isn't . But in any case, the transfer is on or it isn't - you can't request it. Well, mere mortals can't....

The concept works for (what used to be) QR's UAE shuttles. A near-seamless shimmy through the F check-in, direct entry to Safwa then a short walk through the lounge to the Safwa exit to a bus, is a small reward for busy Gulfies travelling on exceedingly expensive tickets.
ziek likes this.
Old May 2, 2023, 7:56 pm

Went to Al Safwa for the first time after pandemic. Enjoyed my time from 18.00 until 07.00. Lounge got a bit crowded in restaurant area in the evening. Sleeping rooms were almost full - but “almost” is still good for me to get my 6 hours of solid sleep when I need it. Jacuzzi took 2 hours to prepare but was still available. Champagne was mediocre indeed, but come on, it’s just a glass of alcohol.

satisfied very much, still one of the best lounges for me, can’t understand all this complaining.
impeymac and nilsfr69 like this.
Old May 3, 2023, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sauraigne
Went to Al Safwa for the first time after pandemic. Enjoyed my time from 18.00 until 07.00. Lounge got a bit crowded in restaurant area in the evening. Sleeping rooms were almost full - but “almost” is still good for me to get my 6 hours of solid sleep when I need it. Jacuzzi took 2 hours to prepare but was still available. Champagne was mediocre indeed, but come on, it’s just a glass of alcohol.

satisfied very much, still one of the best lounges for me, can’t understand all this complaining.
The complaining comes mainly from two groups: oenophiles, in particular those fixated on champagne brands; and folk frustrated in attempts to secure sleeping rooms.

Given that I'm largely satisfied by pretty wine labels and generally avoid champagne, my only gripe is the imbalance between demand for beds and their availability. The rest is just fine.
DiamondMile and jinyoungkim7 like this.
Old May 3, 2023, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
...The rest is just fine.
Food quality and service have declined over the last year IMO, the latter likely due to all the new staff, possibly even the former
Old May 3, 2023, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ziek
Food quality and service have declined over the last year IMO, the latter likely due to all the new staff, possibly even the former
I honestly haven't detected a change, but there again I tend to graze on comfort tit-bits. I had a steak the other week, and, true, it was nothing special. But it satisfied a craving for blood (I spend most of my life pretending to be a veggie ).

The truth is, I'm easily satisfied.

One server told me most stuff is common to the kitchens of the other lounges. I don't know if this heresy is accurate...
ziek likes this.
Old May 3, 2023, 4:56 am

Croissant from a year ago would be warm, buttery and flaky. I asked for one last Wednesday and it looked like one of the golf carts had driven over it.
Loungeabout likes this.
Old May 3, 2023, 7:48 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Originally Posted by ziek
Croissant from a year ago would be warm, buttery and flaky. I asked for one last Wednesday and it looked like one of the golf carts had driven over it.
Wait? You guys are getting golf carts?
Old May 3, 2023, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by AAtticus
Wait? You guys are getting golf carts?
Drove away without me leaving the croissant
Old May 3, 2023, 10:38 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I honestly haven't detected a change, but there again I tend to graze on comfort tit-bits. I had a steak the other week, and, true, it was nothing special. But it satisfied a craving for blood (I spend most of my life pretending to be a veggie ).

The truth is, I'm easily satisfied.

One server told me most stuff is common to the kitchens of the other lounges. I don't know if this heresy is accurate...
FWIW the steak I had a few weeks ago at AS was by far the best thing I’ve eaten at the lounge since they started letting us unwashed plats. Almost medium rare (though not entirely there, but that’s trivial) and absolutely quenched my thirst for blood, ha! But that along with a few other items I’ve had recently are data points, to me at least, that food has actually improved since last year and arguably pre-covid. Of course champagne and sleep rooms aren’t there, but if neither of those things are a necessity, the AS is a world class lounge.

Pics of steak:

seanp7, N1Rotate, ziek and 1 others like this.
Old May 3, 2023, 11:05 am

Programs: Some
God, that fondant potato looks depressing.
ziek likes this.
Old May 3, 2023, 12:34 pm

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
God, that fondant potato looks depressing.
Fair enough, but I’m not ordering a steak for the potatoes 🙂
Old May 3, 2023, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
We all have different views and expectations of how a steak should be cooked, but in my book that is closer to well done than it is to medium rare.
slowly, jah718, ziek and 1 others like this.
Old May 3, 2023, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
We all have different views and expectations of how a steak should be cooked, but in my book that is closer to well done than it is to medium rare.
The photo doesn’t do it justice, but I can fully attest it was medium-medium rare, and believe me, I like my steak as bloody as it gets!
Old May 3, 2023, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by fender5787
The photo doesn’t do it justice, but I can fully attest it was medium-medium rare, and believe me, I like my steak as bloody as it gets!
How depressed were you by the potato? or are you not very discerning/in denial?
Old May 3, 2023, 9:24 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by N1Rotate
How depressed were you by the potato? or are you not very discerning/in denial?
Sorry, but something like that just doesn’t get served up in a decent restaurant or e.g. the EK F lounge in my experience. If it looks that poor, you don’t put it on the plate. The steak does look good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.