Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2023, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by mendacio
Hi all,

Saw the sticky at the top, was curious if there were any new changes?
Going Amman-DOH in F, and DOH-CDG in J. Does the 5 hour rule still play?
sticky is outdated by several years... no 5 hour rule does not apply, connecting flight has to be within 24 hours and you need to be on a fare which gives lounge access and you will be let in
Old Apr 8, 2023, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ziek
sticky is outdated by several years... no 5 hour rule does not apply, connecting flight has to be within 24 hours and you need to be on a fare which gives lounge access and you will be let in
I just wiped any reference to the 5-hour rule. It hasn't applied for some time: keeping in the wiki with caveats is pointless, and only served to confuse.

If/when a "change of gauge" rule is re-introduced we can update the wiki.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I just wiped any reference to the 5-hour rule. It hasn't applied for some time: keeping in the wiki with caveats is pointless, and only served to confuse.

If/when a "change of gauge" rule is re-introduced we can update the wiki.
Two additional things which need an update in the wiki

1. Upgrades with Qcredits to F give access, first hand experience on a number of flights to AUH upgraded to F using Qcredits
2. Plats in P (business lite fare) which normally does not give lounge access have access to AS (but not AM) - again first hand experiene
Loungeabout likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 5:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Going to Lounge early/what would you do?

I'm flying in to Doha on J. I have three nights there before I can catch my F flight to BKK. My flight leaves around 7:55am. What I am wondering is what people would recommend in this situation? Should I only do the first two nights in a hotel and then come to the lounge late on the final night? Will I be able to get non-breakfast food and sleep in the rooms there for a few hours? How early can I arrive at the lounge from Doha with an outbound F ticket? This would be a Saturday night going into a Sunday. I'm concerned I won't be able to enjoy the lounge much if I stay at a hotel unless I wake up at like 4am and head there.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 5:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Personally I'd stay in a proper hotel for all 3 nights and arrive at the airport at a typical time. The lounge isn't worth pulling an all nighter for, especially as a sleeping room being available is unlikely.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Red259
I'm flying in to Doha on J. I have three nights there before I can catch my F flight to BKK. My flight leaves around 7:55am. What I am wondering is what people would recommend in this situation? Should I only do the first two nights in a hotel and then come to the lounge late on the final night? Will I be able to get non-breakfast food and sleep in the rooms there for a few hours? How early can I arrive at the lounge from Doha with an outbound F ticket? This would be a Saturday night going into a Sunday. I'm concerned I won't be able to enjoy the lounge much if I stay at a hotel unless I wake up at like 4am and head there.
The lounge is delightful, but its charm would begin to wear off after the first couple of hours. Certainly its not worth missing a night's sleep to experience.

I'm not sure how you were thinking of handling a late night check-out, but it's probably sensible to pay for the three nights, get up early on dat three and head for the airport at 5 am. Doha hotels are (generally) inexpensive.

The F check makes life easy with dedicated security checks followed by direct entry to Safwa. So you should get from taxi to lounge in no time at all.
subject2load and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 5:56 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by ziek
Two additional things which need an update in the wiki

1. Upgrades with Qcredits to F give access, first hand experience on a number of flights to AUH upgraded to F using Qcredits
2. Plats in P (business lite fare) which normally does not give lounge access have access to AS (but not AM) - again first hand experiene
Are you sure 1 isn’t because you are Platinum also?
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Are you sure 1 isn’t because you are Platinum also?
Yes positive. I have done these when I was Gold.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good news!

Pressure on Safwa might be reducing! Posters over in the Premium Fare forum, entitled to use Safwa, prefer to visit Mourjan for its superior service and food.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35163400-post4.html
Old Apr 12, 2023, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Pressure on Safwa might be reducing! Posters over in the Premium Fare forum, entitled to use Safwa, prefer to visit Mourjan for its superior service and food.
Multiple examples of that in this thread itself; nothing new.

Any new mid-April Champagne updates from AS?
Old Apr 12, 2023, 9:56 pm

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Here now and the champagne choices are basic Laurent Perrier and Charles Heidsieck rose. Guess we can say the days of actual F champers in AS are long gone 😩

Also of note, lounge feels pretty crowded. Like nothing like peak AM or a the AA/BA lounges at JFK during the evening rush, but there isn’t a single brown recliner open, and only a handful of dining tables available. More and more reason to use AM north/garden (when it opens).
Old Apr 12, 2023, 11:02 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Originally Posted by seanp7
Multiple examples of that in this thread itself; nothing new.

Any new mid-April Champagne updates from AS?
Hopefully we'll see some changes after Ramadan, in a few weeks.

You can always check the Menu using this link.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seanp7
Multiple examples of that in this thread itself
i'm among those happy to shift to Mourjan if I'm searching for nap space Safwa is not able to supply.

But shunning Safwa because the food is better in Mourjan seems oddly perverse: a manifestation of ennui i heartily encourage .
Old Apr 14, 2023, 5:47 am

Am arriving F from SYD-DOH with QR, but departing J from DOH-AMM with RJ (7 hours in transit). From my reading of this thread that I would be allowed to go to Safwa and Mourjan (if I keep my F boarding pass) - even though the next flight is with RJ - is this correct? If so, can I go to both, just to check them out? I don't think the RJ lounge is good in comparison. Also, is the shower better at Safwa or Mourjan? Not worry much about food or drink (as I am not a drinker). TIA for clarification.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL; Virgin Gold; HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Just booked MLE-DOH-LHR using Avios (260,000) - First (A) to DOH then Business (I) to LHR. After choosing seats it offered me $137 each to access the Al Safwa lounge, which I took because we like it in there.

But I’m now thinking that’s a bit strange because I thought you got access to that lounge if you arrived on a flight in First - is that not right or doesn’t it apply on the A fare code. (The connection is only 4 hours.)

Plus, a week or so ago when I booked the outbound LHR-DOH-MLE for Avios (only 130,000) - Business (U) to DOH then First (Z) to MLE it didn’t offer me an option to buy access to Al Safwa.

Does that mean I won’t get access on the way out or does it mean the access is free on that flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.