Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Schwann
QR/CX to and from Hong Kong

Update October 2019.

CX used to fly to DOH, but this route was cancelled in February 2016, so now all flights are on QR metal although codeshared by CX.

Currently, QR operates the B777-300ER (and occasionally B777-200LR, for operational reasons) to Hong Kong and these aircraft sometimes have QSuite.

Lounges at HKG International Airport

Plaza Premium First Lounge -This is the default QR contract lounge for customers travelling in Business Class. You may however use any OneWorld Business lounge, or any OneWorld First lounge if you have Emerald status.

The Pier – This lounge is the newest lounge at HKG. Multiple reviews can be found online of its offerings, It is an excellent J lounge. Access is quite far by Gate 65. The F Pier is good. Access is for OneWorld Emerald, and QRPC Platinum Cardholders. It is located by Gate 63.

The Wing – It has been refurbished. The J lounge is to the left of immigration. You have to go one floor down for J lounge and near Gate 3 (F lounge is at same level as immigration, just to the left). It is often crowded as it is convenient. Most prefer the Pier J lounge but that can be quite far from the QR gates. The F lounge is nice It is located immediately to the left as you come through Border Control. Some prefer the F food at the Wing (rather than Pier), with both a buffet and a la carte. Access is for OneWorld Emerald, and QRPC Platinum Cardholders.

The Bridge – If you are travelling in J, this is the lounge that QR/CX will automatically send you to. It is a large lounge, but well stocked and perfectly comfortable. In addition to J passengers, access is also for OneWorld Sapphire and QRPC Gold Cardholders. It is located close to Gate 40.

The Deck – One of the newer J lounges, J/OneWorld Sapphire/QRPC Gold Cardholders. It is located by Gate 16.
Print Wikipost

QR/CX to and from Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:31 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Thanks. The flights are QR5800/5801 so the baggage allowance should be 40kg, although I will only use 20kg anyway.

Originally Posted by remdk
3. Can bags be checked through from HKG-DOH-ARN-LHR, where the final leg is a separate BA award booking?
Yes since QR, CX and BA have baggage interlining agreements with each other within OW. But you should check-in for rhe ARN-LHR flight at the same time as the other flights in HKG.
Do you know whether CX would still interline my baggage to LHR, if ARN-LHR is on SK rather than BA?

I see that both CX and QR have interline agreements with SK, but I don't know if CX in HKG would be able to check me in for a non-OW flight, when OLCI would not even have opened.

I suppose I could just pay 40 SEK to store my luggage while I go to the city.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by N1Rotate
That is not correct, the latter refurbished A332 have all 4 rows between L1 and L2 doors and the economy class has the same pitch as the non-refurbished aircraft.
Thanks for the correction. I flew on a A332 with only 3 rows between the two doors. The new seats with four rows must be less spacious as indicated in the pictures.
It would be useful to update the wiki in:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...-seats-12.html

And possibly the wiki in :
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...-fleet-9.html#
Old Nov 6, 2015, 8:30 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by brunos
Thanks for the correction. I flew on a A332 with only 3 rows between the two doors. The new seats with four rows must be less spacious as indicated in the pictures.
It would be useful to update the wiki in:

And possibly the wiki in :
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...-fleet-9.html#
Not sure whether you checked the WIKI before posting, but the link regarding the seats on the A330, is there...it was one of the main reasons for me requesting the WIKI on this subject
Old Nov 6, 2015, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Not sure whether you checked the WIKI before posting, but the link regarding the seats on the A330, is there...it was one of the main reasons for me requesting the WIKI on this subject
Thank you for your kind barb.
Yes, I checked the wiki.
It says:
"All but 3 of QR's 332s and 3 of QRS 333S have been fitted with the horizontal B/E Aerospace Diamond seats in J-cabin in a 2-2-2 configuration. These are not the seats of the 788/388/359 (unlike the thread title, which we can't get fixed).

These 332s are distinguishable in GDS seat maps because their J-Cabin has a galley and lav between rows 3 and 4; the old configuration did not. "

Unless my English is getting upside down, the wiki tells me that the new J seats has three rows in front of the lav/galley and one row after. N1Rotate says that this is not the case, at least for the recent refurbished ones.

I must say that I am distraught to hear that. Replacing 24 angled seats by 24 diamond seats in the same space is very poor on A330. 777s are wider and can take 6 Diamond abreast , but A330 is much less wide and that makes the Diamond seat extremely narrow. The feet go to the side of the pax in front. So each row has six pax upper bodies and six other pax feet/legs. I sleep on the side with knees a bit up for back pain. That is impossible on these very narrow seats.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
Thank you for your kind barb.
Yes, I checked the wiki.
It says:
"All but 3 of QR's 332s and 3 of QRS 333S have been fitted with the horizontal B/E Aerospace Diamond seats in J-cabin in a 2-2-2 configuration. These are not the seats of the 788/388/359 (unlike the thread title, which we can't get fixed).

These 332s are distinguishable in GDS seat maps because their J-Cabin has a galley and lav between rows 3 and 4; the old configuration did not. "

Unless my English is getting upside down, the wiki tells me that the new J seats has three rows in front of the lav/galley and one row after. N1Rotate says that this is not the case, at least for the recent refurbished ones.

I must say that I am distraught to hear that. Replacing 24 angled seats by 24 diamond seats in the same space is very poor on A330. 777s are wider and can take 6 Diamond abreast , but A330 is much less wide and that makes the Diamond seat extremely narrow. The feet go to the side of the pax in front. So each row has six pax upper bodies and six other pax feet/legs. I sleep on the side with knees a bit up for back pain. That is impossible on these very narrow seats.

This is what the wiki says, no mention of the galleys on the actual wiki.

333L: has F, sloped J in 2-2-2 config., A7-AEB
333H v1: sloped J in 2-2-2 config., A7-AED,I
333H v2: horizontal J in 2-2-2 config., WiFi A7-AEF,G,H,J,M,N,O (similar seat map to non-reconfigured A333)
333K: horizontal J in 2-2-2 config., A7-AEA,C . To distinguish from other A333 economy up to row 44.
332H v1: horizontal J in 2-2-2 config. WiFi. A7-ACA,B,C,D,E,F,H. To distinguish from other A332, economy goes up to row 41.
332H v2: sloped J in 2-2-2 config.. A7-ACL + A7-AFL,AFM. (AFL and AFM leaving the fleet soon)
332H v3: horizontal J in 2-2-2 config.WiFi. A7-ACG,I,J,K,M (similar seat map to non-reconfigured A332)
*Some of the reconfigured A330 aircraft have new seats and IFE in economy and some have original economy seating/IFE

The version in green is the one with the 3 rows in front of the galley and one row behind with 777 style seating, the one in blue is the more recent one with all 4 rows in front of the galley. This seat gives up aisle space and some width to make the seat flat in the same space as the old seats.

Edit:

I updated the wiki again to make it more clear.

Last edited by N1Rotate; Nov 6, 2015 at 11:46 pm
Old Nov 7, 2015, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
To be clear, are the new flat bed seats on the A330-200 the same as those on the A319? The B/E Aerospace Parallel Diamond?
Old Nov 7, 2015, 9:06 pm

Programs: QR Gold
Originally Posted by Genius1
To be clear, are the new flat bed seats on the A330-200 the same as those on the A319? The B/E Aerospace Parallel Diamond?
Yes, for A7-ACG,I,J,K,M as N1Rotate was saying above.

and No, for A7-ACA,B,C,D,E,F,H which have the 777 style seating.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1Rotate
This is what the wiki says, no mention of the galleys on the actual wiki.

333L: has F, sloped J in 2-2-2 config., A7-AEB
333H v1: sloped J in 2-2-2 config., A7-AED,I
333H v2: horizontal J in 2-2-2 config., WiFi A7-AEF,G,H,J,M,N,O (similar seat map to non-reconfigured A333)
333K: horizontal J in 2-2-2 config., A7-AEA,C . To distinguish from other A333 economy up to row 44.
332H v1: horizontal J in 2-2-2 config. WiFi. A7-ACA,B,C,D,E,F,H. To distinguish from other A332, economy goes up to row 41.
332H v2: sloped J in 2-2-2 config.. A7-ACL + A7-AFL,AFM. (AFL and AFM leaving the fleet soon)
332H v3: horizontal J in 2-2-2 config.WiFi. A7-ACG,I,J,K,M (similar seat map to non-reconfigured A332)
*Some of the reconfigured A330 aircraft have new seats and IFE in economy and some have original economy seating/IFE

The version in green is the one with the 3 rows in front of the galley and one row behind with 777 style seating, the one in blue is the more recent one with all 4 rows in front of the galley. This seat gives up aisle space and some width to make the seat flat in the same space as the old seats.

Edit:

I updated the wiki again to make it more clear.
Sorry if I was unclear.
My quote was taken from the wiki specific to the A330s:

This is the wiki that I suggested updating in my earlier post.
It states that the refurbished A332 have 3 rows in front of the galley and one row behind. From your post, I understand that this is only true for some refurbished A332s (v1 on the general wiki) but not for the more recently refurbished A332s (v3).

Again, thank you for updating the general fleet wiki.
Sad to understand that all refurbished A333s have the cramped B/E Diamond seats.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Im flying tomorrow OSL-DOH-HKG.

OSL-DOH is on QR, while DOH-HKG is on CX for a change. I have picked CX, as they offer their Cirrus J product, opposed to QR's A332 refurbished J product (which I've flown quite a few times).

I have managed to print out both boarding passes - the QR one through the QR website, and the CX one from the CX website.

Interestingly, on the CX website, it makes mention that I should use the Oryx Lounge at HIA during my short stop-over.

However, I would have thought I'd have access to the Al Mourjan as I am travelling in J?

I will of course update as I go, but I wondered if anyone had experience of this?

Also, where at OSL are the QR check-in counters?
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Plat
Im flying tomorrow OSL-DOH-HKG.

OSL-DOH is on QR, while DOH-HKG is on CX for a change. I have picked CX, as they offer their Cirrus J product, opposed to QR's A332 refurbished J product (which I've flown quite a few times).

I have managed to print out both boarding passes - the QR one through the QR website, and the CX one from the CX website.

Interestingly, on the CX website, it makes mention that I should use the Oryx Lounge at HIA during my short stop-over.

However, I would have thought I'd have access to the Al Mourjan as I am travelling in J?

I will of course update as I go, but I wondered if anyone had experience of this?

Also, where at OSL are the QR check-in counters?
I have recently done that return journey in J, starting in OSL. My booking was through the CX website. I had access to the Al Mourjan lounge in each direction - I think my lounge invite was issued by QR when checking in at the QR counter in OSL but on the return journey I just showed my boarding pass.
The QR counters at OSL are on the far right hand side as you enter the Departures level, Section H next to the BA counters.

ps on the return, our departure to OSL was from the E gate area. It was a long walk from the Al Mourjan lounge - a brisk 15-20mins!

Last edited by fbrj; Dec 6, 2015 at 9:20 am
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by fbrj
I have recently done that return journey in J, starting in OSL. My booking was through the CX website. I had access to the Al Mourjan lounge in each direction - I think my lounge invite was issued by QR when checking in at the QR counter in OSL but on the return journey I just showed my boarding pass.
The QR counters at OSL are on the far right hand side as you enter the Departures level, Section H next to the BA counters.

ps on the return, our departure to OSL was from the E gate area. It was a long walk from the Al Mourjan lounge - a brisk 15-20mins!
Many thanks for clarifying regarding the counters and lounge access.

I booked through the CX website too, so looks like we're doing an identical trip!
Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Plat
I booked through the CX website too, so looks like we're doing an identical trip!

It was just part...

LHR-OSL on BA (then o/night at Park Inn airport hotel)

The whole CX booking starting from OSL (1 PNR) was on to Phnom Penh (PNH) on Dragonair from HKG. All went like clockwork.

We did the return in one hit - from boarding in PNH to landing at LHR was 32hrs! The worst bit by far was hanging around for 4hrs in the OSL lounge, for our BA flight back to LHR with a really crummy wifi connection, which kept dropping in and out!

Our first QR experience which was great. CX was good too with their 1-2-1 J layout on that flight and the excellent showers and lounge (and Krug!) in the Al Mourjan Lounge. Not forgetting the Long Bar in the Wing at HKIA.......
Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by fbrj

It was just part...

LHR-OSL on BA (then o/night at Park Inn airport hotel)

The whole CX booking starting from OSL (1 PNR) was on to Phnom Penh (PNH) on Dragonair from HKG. All went like clockwork.

We did the return in one hit - from boarding in PNH to landing at LHR was 32hrs! The worst bit by far was hanging around for 4hrs in the OSL lounge, for our BA flight back to LHR with a really crummy wifi connection, which kept dropping in and out!

Our first QR experience which was great. CX was good too with their 1-2-1 J layout on that flight and the excellent showers and lounge (and Krug!) in the Al Mourjan Lounge. Not forgetting the Long Bar in the Wing at HKIA.......
I'm actually doing a straight there and also back.

LHR-OSL-DOH-HKG then 36 hours in HKG before returning.

I'm dreading the 4 hours in Oslo as the lounge is meant to be awful, especially at 7am! But, I'll go for a walk somewhere and see what happens.

The Wing is marvellous at HKG, but there is meant to be a Barbeque Bar in the Qantas lounge at HKG which I'm going to try and scope out!

The showers at HKG in The Wing were brilliant last time I was there, and I loved the Aesop shower gel so much that I bought 3 bottles of it in London!
Old Dec 6, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Subcard
The lounge is OSL is pretty good.

I did OSL-DOH-HKG-CGK a few weeks back. They have opened a new business section in the right hand side of the lounge that you will be invited into. It has a range of comfy chairs and the wifi was good whilst I was there. Decent selection of drinks and snacks. I spent about 2.5 hours in there.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 7:56 pm

I'm actually doing a straight there and also back.

LHR-OSL-DOH-HKG then 36 hours in HKG before returning.

I'm dreading the 4 hours in Oslo as the lounge is meant to be awful, especially at 7am! But, I'll go for a walk somewhere and see what happens.

The Wing is marvellous at HKG, but there is meant to be a Barbeque Bar in the Qantas lounge at HKG which I'm going to try and scope out!

The showers at HKG in The Wing were brilliant last time I was there, and I loved the Aesop shower gel so much that I bought 3 bottles of it in London!
I think its probably not what you're expecting!

There is a trolley that comes around at certain times, otherwise there is just the (admittedly very good) self serve area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.