Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Schwann
QR/CX to and from Hong Kong

Update October 2019.

CX used to fly to DOH, but this route was cancelled in February 2016, so now all flights are on QR metal although codeshared by CX.

Currently, QR operates the B777-300ER (and occasionally B777-200LR, for operational reasons) to Hong Kong and these aircraft sometimes have QSuite.

Lounges at HKG International Airport

Plaza Premium First Lounge -This is the default QR contract lounge for customers travelling in Business Class. You may however use any OneWorld Business lounge, or any OneWorld First lounge if you have Emerald status.

The Pier – This lounge is the newest lounge at HKG. Multiple reviews can be found online of its offerings, It is an excellent J lounge. Access is quite far by Gate 65. The F Pier is good. Access is for OneWorld Emerald, and QRPC Platinum Cardholders. It is located by Gate 63.

The Wing – It has been refurbished. The J lounge is to the left of immigration. You have to go one floor down for J lounge and near Gate 3 (F lounge is at same level as immigration, just to the left). It is often crowded as it is convenient. Most prefer the Pier J lounge but that can be quite far from the QR gates. The F lounge is nice It is located immediately to the left as you come through Border Control. Some prefer the F food at the Wing (rather than Pier), with both a buffet and a la carte. Access is for OneWorld Emerald, and QRPC Platinum Cardholders.

The Bridge – If you are travelling in J, this is the lounge that QR/CX will automatically send you to. It is a large lounge, but well stocked and perfectly comfortable. In addition to J passengers, access is also for OneWorld Sapphire and QRPC Gold Cardholders. It is located close to Gate 40.

The Deck – One of the newer J lounges, J/OneWorld Sapphire/QRPC Gold Cardholders. It is located by Gate 16.
Print Wikipost

QR/CX to and from Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:27 am

QR5800/5801 between HKG and DOH

What actually happens when I try to online check in on QR for QR5800 / 5801 between HKG and DOH ? Will I be able to online check in on CX's website ? (If I enter the same PNR, the reservation shows up.) Also wondering if miles would be automatically credited. Travel companion crediting miles on CX/Marco Polo while I will be crediting miles on AA.

Last edited by zhaobao; Jul 7, 2015 at 12:12 am
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:36 am

zhaobao DO NOT try to use OLCI . Nothing good happens! YOu could have to collect your onward boarding pass at the Transfer desk in Doha.

Look at the "Codeshare – QR5800/QR5801" thread for SOME of the problems you will encounter.

If you are flying beyond DOH then ensure that your filghts are QR5800/QR5801 and NOT CX645/CX640 since the standard allowance is 10 kg higher.

There are also other threads that also deal with this debacle.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:59 pm

Will be flying Munich via Doha to Hong Kong and the Doha to Hong Kong sector is on QR5801.

So what you are saying is that even the counter at Munich won't be able to issue me the boarding pass ?

Just looked up on CX's website - self-printing boarding pass and mobile boarding pass is not available in Doha.

I found the "Codeshare – QR5800/QR5801" thread. Sorry for the duplication. Moderator - would you be so kind to merge the two discussions ?

Last edited by zhaobao; Jul 7, 2015 at 12:20 am
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by remdk
purple1addict My Itinerary was
QR160 CPH-DOH - credited automatically
QR5801 DOH-HKG - Not credited Needed to claim as a Partner airline flight.
QR5800 HKG-DOH - Not credited Needed to claim as a Partner airline flight.
QR161 DOH-CPH - credited automatically.
My wife (family member) on another itinerary was not credited AT ALL. CPH-DOH and DOH-CPH could be claimed as QR filghts but DOH-HKG and HKG-DOH were partner airline claims.
At Check in at CPH with QR and HKG with CX, were they able to issue boarding passes for both sectors or did you have to get the boarding pass at DOH ?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by zhaobao
At Check in at CPH with QR and HKG with CX, were they able to issue boarding passes for both sectors or did you have to get the boarding pass at DOH ?
Check-in to Codeshare flights can only happen at the airport and will be treated as any other flight itinerary. You will get both boarding passes at the airport. It is only OLCI, in all its forms, that has problems.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:12 am

Not being able to online check-in is OK, as long as I get both boarding passes at the original point of departure, rather than having to run to a transfer desk in Doha.

But what would actually happen if I try to online check in ? The advantage of doing so, is of course you get to line up at a different check in counter with hopefully a much shorter queue.....
Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:07 am

zhaobao You MAY be able to use QR OLCI for MUC-DOH but as you have already said you cannot use either QR or CX OLCI for DOH-HKG so you have BP's for MUC-DOH only. You have NOT completed your check-in so you cannot use the fast bag-drop.

At the airport you use the 'fast' bag-drop counter. Here a number of things can, not will, happen.

1 You are sent over to join the queus for the other counter to complete your check-in.
2 Your luggage will be checked in to DOH only. My understanding of the German regulations is that they will check baggage in for those flights on a reservation that the passenger has also shown INTENT to fly. That is checked in. You would then have to claim your luggage in DOH. QR agreed last July that worst case could be – going through immigration, collecting you baggage, going through customs, exiting the arrivals area and going to Check-in to start a completely new journey. That is not likely to happen now but how you reconnect with your baggage is unknown. You will need to check-in again at the transfer desk in DOH for DOH-HKG
3 The agent can call a supervisor to cancel your OLCI, I am told that only supervisors can do that, and then check you in again.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 5:09 am

QR Online checkin connecting to QR codeshare on CX metal ?

Good afternoon to all,

I have done a search without results, so I dare to ask these questions:

We hold QR tickets Frankfurt-Doha-Hongkong-Sydney return. The four segments Doha-Hongkong and Hongkong-Sydney and return are entirely on CX (Cathay Pacific) metal, all bearing also a QR flight number.

I think QR online checkin Germany would only give me my BP Frankurt to Doha 30 hours prior to departure. Can I get my two BPs for CX metal from Doha to Hongkong and Hongkong to Sydney at the QR Frankfurt Checkin counter or do I have to approch a QR or CX transit counter after arrival at Doha, because my online BP QR Frankfurt-Doha prevents the checkin staff from printing the connecting BPs on CX metal ?

Returning from Sydney - as said - flying CX with a QR flight number, I do not expect to do QR checkin online, but instead plan to go straight to CX checkin counter at the International Terminal.

Will the CX counter staff print me all three BPs for the entire itinerary (Sydney-Hongkong-Doha-Frankfurt) for CX Sydney-Hongkong-Doha and QR metal Doha-Frankfurt or must I approach again QR transit counter after arrival at Doha ?

Thanks for all your inputs,
juan516.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 5:15 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Hi Juan516 and welcome back to the QR board!

With regards to your boarding passes for the legs on CX, you should be able to check-in online for those on the CX website.

At check-in at FRA, it is likely you will be handed airport boarding passes for all of your onward legs (including those on CX), so no need to worry.

That being said, I always find it helpful to print my own boarding passes at home, just in case.

In terms of your journey back to FRA, CX should print all of your boarding passes (including those on QR).

Have an enjoyable trip!
Old Oct 1, 2015, 7:44 am

Juan516 QR OLCI does not work, and has never worked, for codeshare with CX. Originally CX OLCI worked for codeshare with QR but the last two times I tried it did not work. I have given up trying.

It is much easier to just check-in at the airport for all flights. So much for “Seamless Travel” that QR, CX and OW talk about!
Old Oct 3, 2015, 10:17 am

Thank you both for sharing your experiences.So it will be airport checkin only while flying the first leg on codeshare.

So we must be early at the counter of CX at Sydney to ensure they accomodate us with our QR codeshare flights.

All the best,
juan516.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:19 am

This is exactly what I did flying QR58 from Munich to Doha connecting onto QR5801 from Doha to Hong Kong yesterday/today.

OLCI with QR only allowed me to check in the first segment. Went to Cathay's website to check in for the second segment.

Showed up at web check in bag drop off counter at Munich and was handed both boarding passes and bags were tagged to Hong Kong. Not sure whether the OLCI on Cathay's website would have made any difference, but still worth doing it just in case there is overbooking and somebody is bumped off involuntarily.

I suspect you would get all boarding passes at Frankfurt and Sydney.

Cathay has not enabled self-printing boarding passes / mobile boarding passes for Doha as yet.

Just in case you are wondering, it would be the same PNR for QR and CX.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:20 am

@zhaobao and all other posters: most valuable advice - thanks a lot for sharing your experiences.

I have obtained my QR BP Frankfurt-Doha and then went to online checkin on the CX website. I hve got and printed out an CX online checkin confirmation but not yet the physical BPs DOHHKG and HKGSYD, so will be patient and ask QR checkin counter at FRA Terminal 1 to print them out for myself.

Checkin confirmation says that I will get both BPs only at HIA (what I assume or hope to be erroneous). I will know better while in FRA.

Or would it make sense to risk the long walk to FRA Terminal 2 where CX counters are located to obtain my physical CX BPs DOHHKG and HKGSYD there ?

Cheers,
juan516.

Last edited by juan516; Oct 6, 2015 at 6:32 am
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by juan516
@zhaobao and all other posters: most valuable advice - thanks a lot for sharing your experiences.

I have obtained my QR BP Frankfurt-Doha and then went to online checkin on the CX website. I hve got and printed out an CX online checkin confirmation but not yet the physical BPs DOHHKG and HKGSYD, so will be patient and ask QR checkin counter at FRA Terminal 1 to print them out for myself.

Checkin confirmation says that I will get both BPs only at HIA (what I assume or hope to be erroneous). I will know better while in FRA.

Or would it make sense to risk the long walk to FRA Terminal 2 where CX counters are located to obtain my physical CX BPs DOHHKG and HKGSYD there ?

Cheers,
juan516.
Correction to my previous post - when I look at my CX online checkin confirmation, it actually carries a DIFFERENT PNR. I guess you can use the CX PNR to "Manage My Reservations" on CX website, but the QR PNR works for the practical purpose of just looking up your flight and doing online checkin on CX website.

I think the CX system just "thinks" that you are originating from Doha and therefore gives you the automatic message that you should pick up your boarding passes at Doha. Realistically, QR at Frankfurt should be able to print you everything (including Doha to Hong Kong and Hong Kong to Sydney), I suspect. Let us know what happens !

I also remember on my flight from Doha to Zagreb that I saw people boarding the plane with Qantas printed boarding passes - I assume when you check in for your return flights at Sydney that CX would be able to print you all the boarding passes on QR sectors.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:24 am

juan516 I did exactly the same almost 18 months ago. I wish I had not! When I asked for the DOH-HKG BP at the airport I was told that since I had used CX OLCI I must pick up the BP at the transfer desk in DOH. After a hefty discussion and contact to the town office the OLCI for both flights was cancelled and both BP's issued. I was informed not to use OLCI for these codeshare flights in the future.

Another interesting point raised zhaobao was that since I had checked in on CX OLCI with the CX flight number CX was regarded as the marketing carrier and the baggage rules of CX would apply to the entire journey. QR would treat it as a partner flight when crediting miles and points.

This was some time ago and QR OLCI has changed since then. Apparently not enough to work.

So If codeshare (where any operating carrier is not QR) DO NOT USE OLCI!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.