Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Schwann
QR/CX to and from Hong Kong

Update October 2019.

CX used to fly to DOH, but this route was cancelled in February 2016, so now all flights are on QR metal although codeshared by CX.

Currently, QR operates the B777-300ER (and occasionally B777-200LR, for operational reasons) to Hong Kong and these aircraft sometimes have QSuite.

Lounges at HKG International Airport

Plaza Premium First Lounge -This is the default QR contract lounge for customers travelling in Business Class. You may however use any OneWorld Business lounge, or any OneWorld First lounge if you have Emerald status.

The Pier – This lounge is the newest lounge at HKG. Multiple reviews can be found online of its offerings, It is an excellent J lounge. Access is quite far by Gate 65. The F Pier is good. Access is for OneWorld Emerald, and QRPC Platinum Cardholders. It is located by Gate 63.

The Wing – It has been refurbished. The J lounge is to the left of immigration. You have to go one floor down for J lounge and near Gate 3 (F lounge is at same level as immigration, just to the left). It is often crowded as it is convenient. Most prefer the Pier J lounge but that can be quite far from the QR gates. The F lounge is nice It is located immediately to the left as you come through Border Control. Some prefer the F food at the Wing (rather than Pier), with both a buffet and a la carte. Access is for OneWorld Emerald, and QRPC Platinum Cardholders.

The Bridge – If you are travelling in J, this is the lounge that QR/CX will automatically send you to. It is a large lounge, but well stocked and perfectly comfortable. In addition to J passengers, access is also for OneWorld Sapphire and QRPC Gold Cardholders. It is located close to Gate 40.

The Deck – One of the newer J lounges, J/OneWorld Sapphire/QRPC Gold Cardholders. It is located by Gate 16.
Print Wikipost

QR/CX to and from Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2015, 3:21 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by GTR56
The lounge is OSL is pretty good.

I did OSL-DOH-HKG-CGK a few weeks back. They have opened a new business section in the right hand side of the lounge that you will be invited into. It has a range of comfy chairs and the wifi was good whilst I was there. Decent selection of drinks and snacks. I spent about 2.5 hours in there.
Thanks for the tip GTR56. The Lounge representative didn't really do much when I walked in, so I perched on one of the sofas in the main lounge space. I've now found the Business Class Area, which does look quite nice - I might move into it a bit later, as it will at least break up the 4 hours I'll be here!

I've moved to the newer part of the lounge, which is for J passengers - and Skyteam Elite, and OWE and OWS.

It's certainly newer, and its certainly comfortable, so thanks for the tip.

One important thing, which nobody seems to have told me on here, is that Glug is readily available. Glug (mulled wine) is marvellous and the perfect drink in cold weather...and also the perfect drink when sat in an airport lounge. The remaining couple of hours are going to go very, very quickly!

Originally Posted by phol
I think its probably not what you're expecting!

There is a trolley that comes around at certain times, otherwise there is just the (admittedly very good) self serve area.
Drat! I was hoping for a chap throwing barbequed meat around the lounge!

Last edited by msm2000uk; Dec 7, 2015 at 4:54 am
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by fbrj
I booked through the CX website too, so looks like we're doing an identical trip!

It was just part...

LHR-OSL on BA (then o/night at Park Inn airport hotel)

The whole CX booking starting from OSL (1 PNR) was on to Phnom Penh (PNH) on Dragonair from HKG. All went like clockwork.

We did the return in one hit - from boarding in PNH to landing at LHR was 32hrs! The worst bit by far was hanging around for 4hrs in the OSL lounge, for our BA flight back to LHR with a really crummy wifi connection, which kept dropping in and out!

Our first QR experience which was great. CX was good too with their 1-2-1 J layout on that flight and the excellent showers and lounge (and Krug!) in the Al Mourjan Lounge. Not forgetting the Long Bar in the Wing at HKIA.......
That's quite a slog you did on the return journey ....!!

Glad to hear of your use of Al Mourjan lounge at DOH (ie as distinct from the apparently underwhelming Oryx lounge). Also The Wing at HKG. Both sound good. And the QR & CX flights themselves must have been pretty good from what you say.

As I'm doing the same route next Feb, I had tried - over on the CX forum - to clarify position re lounge access at DOH when transiting to CX in J. Got no clear-cut feedback there, but then spotted your own timely post here ^
Old Dec 7, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by subject2load
That's quite a slog you did on the return journey ....!!

Glad to hear of your use of Al Mourjan lounge at DOH (ie as distinct from the apparently underwhelming Oryx lounge). Also The Wing at HKG. Both sound good. And the QR & CX flights themselves must have been pretty good from what you say.

As I'm doing the same route next Feb, I had tried - over on the CX forum - to clarify position re lounge access at DOH when transiting to CX in J. Got no clear-cut feedback there, but then spotted your own timely post here ^
I know you PM'ed me, but hopefully you won't mind be putting a few of my thoughts here for all to see (opposed to a direct message).

So, first things first

1) I was travelling on a full J ticket (OSL-DOH-HKG-DOH-OSL) booked through the CX website. Access to the Al Mourjan was granted without issue, despite the boarding pass (printed from the CX website) stating access only to the Oryx Lounge.

2) The OSL Lounge (that is genuinely what it is called), is a very nice place to sit. The WiFi was fast and free, and there was ample seating - not just in the main part of the lounge, but also in the J section (walk past the entrance desk and turn right through the concealed doorway). The food offerings were horrendous, but the food onboard made up for it.

Happy to answer anything else.

M
Old Dec 7, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Many thanks indeed msm2000uk ^
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:50 pm

I have now done this journey in J four times over the past 2 months – twice on QR metal, and twice on CX metal. Both airlines use variations of the A330 for the HKG flights, so a comparison makes sense. I am aware that CX are coming off the codeshare on this route, but this should still serve useful for the next 2 months!

My thoughts are as follows.

Seats – Although both airlines use A330’s, their layouts are very different. QR offer a 2-2-2 setup, while CX offer a 1-2-1 layout. Info on the QR seat can be found in the WIKI, so I will focus on the CX product. The CX seat is a Cirrus product, meaning you are angled away from the aisle, yet can see out the windows quite easily. My preferred row on CX, is Row 14 as it offers 1 more window than all other rows (3 opposed to 2). The CX seat is a pleasant place to sit, and comes with a light duvet and pillow, as well as a USB charging point, UK/US plug socket, and reading light.

In terms of sleeping, both airlines offer seats which convert to fully flat-beds. The QR A330 seat feels a little wider than the CX seat, which helps for sleeping (if you sleep dead straight). However, if you like to have a wriggle, the CX seat is far better. QR offer a foot-well for your feet (which makes moving around quite tough), while CX do not – see photo below. For me, it was easier to sleep on CX.

free photo upload

Overall, and having tried both the QR and CX product, I prefer the CX offering.

IFE – This is one area where the differences are minimal. Both systems are intuitive to use, and offer an average selection of films/tv and music. I would probably say that the QR product is superior due to screen quality.

Food – This is one area where QR have the upper-hand, although there is a caveat. The food onboard QR, is of better quality and more interesting, than CX. The caveat however, is that I would recommend eating in the lounge before the flight. Read the WIKI for lounge access rules.

Staff – Both airlines offer very professional staff members, but CX seem to have more staff roaming the cabin than QR.

Amenity Kit – Both kits come with near-enough the same items, but QR offers a small bottle of Armani scent, while CX do not. You will find socks/eyeshade/lipbalm/moisturiser/toothpaste & toothbrush in the CX kit, while QR offers an Armani perfume/eau de toilette in lieu of the toothbrush and toothpaste (which can instead be found in the bathrooms onboard).

Final Thoughts – Given that the QR/CX codeshare is only around until mid February, I will be sad to see the end of it. I prefer CX on this route, but live in hope that QR may lose the A330’s and use a 787 instead. If they do, and time will tell, all involved will be quite happy with the improvement. If not, then it would be an opportunity lost (in my opinion).
Old Dec 10, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
I just did DOH-HKG return in J class. Outbound CX and return on QR. On the ground I prefer the CX lounge over Al Moujan, the latter is too big and soulless. I used the CX 1st class Wing lounge and was lucky enough to have access to one of the Cabanas for a showrer - this is definitely the nicest lounge shower facility I have ever experienced. A bonus was no wait, whereas the AL Moujan lounge I always find a short wait is required.

Regarding the onboard product I prefer QR at almost every aspect. The new A330-200 although 2-2-2 was fine, and as a solo flyer the screen was adequate for privacy between me and my neighbour. I found the CX A330-300 seat felt worn and cheaply finished compared to the similar QR seating format on the B787. Food on QR was much much better than CX, the latter offered an express service on the 01:40 departure, whereas Qatar had full service on the 00:01 flight. The IFE and FA were excellent on both flights and neither was better than the other.

Personally I will be happy QR covering the two daily flights in the future.

Last edited by Slotski; Dec 10, 2015 at 7:44 am Reason: Typo
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:06 am

I'm taking this flight for the first time in a few weeks, DOH - HKG on a QR ticket CX metal. Will I have access to the CX arrivals lounge?
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXEC PLAT, TK*G
Originally Posted by tmk_bne
I'm taking this flight for the first time in a few weeks, DOH - HKG on a QR ticket CX metal. Will I have access to the CX arrivals lounge?
Arrival lounge is for CX tickets holders only, OW status doesn't get you in either.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Timbuku
Arrival lounge is for CX tickets holders only, OW status doesn't get you in either.
Thanks I knew status wouldn't get me in but was hoping being on CX metal might do the trick. Oh well.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXEC PLAT, TK*G
Thanks I knew status wouldn't get me in but was hoping being on CX metal might do the trick. Oh well.
If you get a boarding pass with the CX flight number printed on it, you can give it a try.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
If you are on CX metal, you should be permitted access to The Arrival, as it's for CX F and J passengers.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:30 pm

Programs: CX SL
I have a booking on QR640 in nov. and it has just been changed to a 787, as well as a 1 hour later departure.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:41 pm

Brilliant news. From October 31st both HKG flights are showing as 787 operated on the booking engine.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by Timbuku
Actually, OW Emerald can get you in.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by phol
Brilliant news. From October 31st both HKG flights are showing as 787 operated on the booking engine.
As predicted a few months ago by QR Forum members

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.