Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Schwann
QR/CX to and from Hong Kong

Update October 2019.

CX used to fly to DOH, but this route was cancelled in February 2016, so now all flights are on QR metal although codeshared by CX.

Currently, QR operates the B777-300ER (and occasionally B777-200LR, for operational reasons) to Hong Kong and these aircraft sometimes have QSuite.

Lounges at HKG International Airport

Plaza Premium First Lounge -This is the default QR contract lounge for customers travelling in Business Class. You may however use any OneWorld Business lounge, or any OneWorld First lounge if you have Emerald status.

The Pier – This lounge is the newest lounge at HKG. Multiple reviews can be found online of its offerings, It is an excellent J lounge. Access is quite far by Gate 65. The F Pier is good. Access is for OneWorld Emerald, and QRPC Platinum Cardholders. It is located by Gate 63.

The Wing – It has been refurbished. The J lounge is to the left of immigration. You have to go one floor down for J lounge and near Gate 3 (F lounge is at same level as immigration, just to the left). It is often crowded as it is convenient. Most prefer the Pier J lounge but that can be quite far from the QR gates. The F lounge is nice It is located immediately to the left as you come through Border Control. Some prefer the F food at the Wing (rather than Pier), with both a buffet and a la carte. Access is for OneWorld Emerald, and QRPC Platinum Cardholders.

The Bridge – If you are travelling in J, this is the lounge that QR/CX will automatically send you to. It is a large lounge, but well stocked and perfectly comfortable. In addition to J passengers, access is also for OneWorld Sapphire and QRPC Gold Cardholders. It is located close to Gate 40.

The Deck – One of the newer J lounges, J/OneWorld Sapphire/QRPC Gold Cardholders. It is located by Gate 16.
Print Wikipost

QR/CX to and from Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Was looking up flights in the summer and realized that both flights to HKG are rostered with B777 (not with Qsuites...) starting March 25.... That would be a big downgrade.... I bet it has to do with the easter/summer holiday travel season.

Last edited by l380; Jan 8, 2018 at 12:00 am
Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by l380
Was looking up flights in the summer and realized that both flights to HKG are rostered with B777 starting March 25.... That would be a big downgrade
My HKG - DOH last October was changed to an old 777 with 2-2-2 in J a week before departure, definitely a big downgrade. Not a lot of privacy and crews have to reach over another person to serve me as I was in a window seat, which is one of the things I hated about flying BA CW.

But hoping you will get the new Q Suites 777, which is a big upgrade.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by l380
Was looking up flights in the summer and realized that both flights to HKG are rostered with B777 (not with Qsuites...) starting March 25.... That would be a big downgrade.... I bet it has to do with the easter/summer holiday travel season.
HKG simply needs more capacity.
The change starts in March till year-end..
I doubt that it has to do with holiday season, as HKG is not such a seasonal destination (or origin). Just badly needs more capacity.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by brunos
HKG simply needs more capacity.
The change starts in March till year-end..
I doubt that it has to do with holiday season, as HKG is not such a seasonal destination (or origin). Just badly needs more capacity.
That's why I am surprised they are using an A380 for the nearby Guangzhou route instead of HKG. Wonder why.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 4:01 am

woodwoodwood welcome to the QR forum.
two reasons:
1) The kudos of being the first, and only, A380 flight to CAN, and the sizeable cash incentive that CAN give
2) Space for an extra A380 at HKG. My understanding is that all A380 gates at HKG are fully utilised.
Because of the limitations at HKG I would expect that QR might get one A380 slot per day but one A380 carries fewer passengers that two A777-300s so passenger capacity may also be a factor.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by remdk
two reasons:
1) The kudos of being the first, and only, A380 flight to CAN, and the sizeable cash incentive that CAN give
2) Space for an extra A380 at HKG. My understanding is that all A380 gates at HKG are fully utilised.
Because of the limitations at HKG I would expect that QR might get one A380 slot per day but one A380 carries fewer passengers that two A777-300s so passenger capacity may also be a factor.
Thanks for the warm welcome. Excited to be part of this forum, big QR fan.

That's a shame as I love their A380, even prefer it to Q Suite 777. I have a HKG-DOH-LHR trip coming up in early June, currently on an A350 on the first leg, hope that doesn't get changed. Might need to do a trip in March, is there a way to avoid this change? A particular flight that is change-proof?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by neofung

seems BA is keep on cancelling the Doha flights due to the 787 problem
That might be true for this coming Easter, but doesn't account for it happening to me at Easter last year. Is this an attempt by QR to fill seats on its own metal?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by KACommuter
That might be true for this coming Easter, but doesn't account for it happening to me at Easter last year. Is this an attempt by QR to fill seats on its own metal?
Last year BA had cabin crew strikes... DOH is one of their lower yield routes so it is the route to be cancelled for whatever reason for more capacity else where in the system. Also QR has many flights a day to DOH, the flexibility is there.

This year's 787 cancellation resulted in BA cancelling DOH to free the 777 for the 787 routes.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
two reasons:
Because of the limitations at HKG I would expect that QR might get one A380 slot per day but one A380 carries fewer passengers that two A777-300s so passenger capacity may also be a factor
I don't think that the HKIA A380 gates are fully utilized during the day, but they probably are at the time of QR flights.
QR must keep to daily flights. Moving to 2 daily 77W is already a big increase in capacity. The next step would be to consider a A380+787. HKG is premium heavy, so the 2x42J help, although solo pax are not happy with the old J seats.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:17 am

I think I will fly with someone else from HKG instead now, really not happy with the old J seats on their 77W. I hope QR will change this soon.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:46 am

If you are a side sleeper, B773 has the best seats for sleeping!
Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:41 am

Is there a way to do the DOH-HKG legs on CX metal through QR codeshare?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:06 am

woodwoodwood my understanding of the current situation is that QR and CX have a codeshare agreement but that QR is the operating carrier for all flights and it is their metal you fly between DOH and HKG. This means that all flights are on QR aircraft.
As far as I know CX no longer fly to DOH using their own aircraft.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:02 am

Thanks remdk. I have a HKG-DOH flight coming up in June so maybe they will change their equipment again, fingers crossed. I think there are some new 77w & a350-1000 being delivered this year, wonder where they are going.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
woodwoodwood my understanding of the current situation is that QR and CX have a codeshare agreement but that QR is the operating carrier for all flights and it is their metal you fly between DOH and HKG. This means t and hat all flights are on QR aircraft. As far as I know CX no longer fly to DOH using their own aircraft.
There are currently two nonstops/day from DOH to HKG, QR 816 and 818. Both have CX codeshare numbers, 9200 and 9290, respectively.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.