Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2016, 2:32 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by surftb15
After landing in BKK, in J, do you have ability to get a massage through Thai lounge? or no?
Unfortunately not.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Unfortunately not.
damn. I land at 6:45 pm. Im debating what to do (going to Koh Samui the next afternoon).

Now that I cant get a massage, I think Ill go downtown. Do I still get a pass to the regular Thai lounge?f I go downtown, I can go to St Regis and get a free dinner at the italian place, vis a vi Virtuoso benefit.

Hmmm...

Also leaving BKK in F, 2 weeks later. After going to CPT via CMB on QR.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Probably the most unexpected op-up on my DOH-BKK last week! Booked in U, biz was only about 10-15 seats occupied at check-in (everything from Row 16 onwards was empty) and F8A8. Went to gate and my BP erred out . Given a new BP with seat 2K.

3 OWE J passengers were op-uped and he remaining 5 who knows? But all 8 F passengers were op-uped (if no one paid cash for upgrade)
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:00 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Now that I cant get a massage, I think Ill go downtown.
Far be it for me to make promies that cannot be fulfilled, but I have heard it is possible to find a massage in downtown BKK.

-A
Old Jan 13, 2016, 4:28 am

Looks like QR may be reducing the number of A380 rotations on this route later in the year.

I did a dummy booking for a Tuesday in November, and of the 4 BKK-DOH flights, the only flight scheduled for an A380 is the morning (09:15) departure. The other three flights are rostered as 777-300, no doubt the dreaded high-density version.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by railways
Looks like QR may be reducing the number of A380 rotations on this route later in the year.

I did a dummy booking for a Tuesday in November, and of the 4 BKK-DOH flights, the only flight scheduled for an A380 is the morning (09:15) departure. The other three flights are rostered as 777-300, no doubt the dreaded high-density version.

This seems interesting as we have just done booked our AMS BKK flights for December and we are on the 02:45 from DOH-BKK and this is the A380 and the return is the 01:35 from BKK-DOH and again this is the A380. I am pretty sure when I did the booking, it was still just showing as only 1 flight a day as the 777?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Saeagle
This seems interesting as we have just done booked our AMS BKK flights for December and we are on the 02:45 from DOH-BKK and this is the A380 and the return is the 01:35 from BKK-DOH and again this is the A380. I am pretty sure when I did the booking, it was still just showing as only 1 flight a day as the 777?
That won't stop QR for swapping equipment later. I've had a 77W swap back in the old PT between standing at the counter top of the stairs and getting to the gate desk 2 minutes later...

-A
Old Jan 13, 2016, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by Saeagle
It seems to vary by day (I looked at November):
A380 from Bangkok:
1 rotation: Tue, Wed
2 rotations: Mon, Thu
3 rotations: Fri, Sat, Sun
Old Jan 13, 2016, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by ph-ndr
That won't stop QR for swapping equipment later. I've had a 77W swap back in the old PT between standing at the counter top of the stairs and getting to the gate desk 2 minutes later...

-A
Ha, nope totally possible. We were lucky when we went in December as we were originally booked on the 777 on one of the legs, but it was changed as part of the additions of the a380 to the route.

Was only just mentioning that when we booked, there were still more A380's showing on the route.

Think Railways may have cleared it up anyhow. We must have got lucky with one of the two rotations on a Monday.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:27 pm

Far be it for me to make promies that cannot be fulfilled, but I have heard it is possible to find a massage in downtown BKK.

-A
Im sure. But I wanted to check out the first class spa!

Last edited by surftb15; Jan 13, 2016 at 2:58 pm
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by railways
It seems to vary by day (I looked at November):
A380 from Bangkok:
1 rotation: Tue, Wed
2 rotations: Mon, Thu
3 rotations: Fri, Sat, Sun
I'm flying out on BKK in early June & was on the 19.50 departure (B777) which has been cancelled. I'm now on the 21.05 departure which has been changed from A380 to B777.

No biggie for me as I'm a fan of the B777 J seat.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 3:12 am

Programs: BA silver
*ignore

Last edited by vonlance; Jan 16, 2016 at 3:29 am
Old Jan 16, 2016, 4:00 am

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
I am booked on QR836 13 Nov and it's a B777/300, no A380 was on the schedule for that trip (AMS-BKK)
I have 2 earlier trips ex BKK booked, all A380 to/from.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 6:27 am

Im sure. But I wanted to check out the first class spa!
It's not as much as spa as just a section of the main F lounge that has a few dividers in and cubicles so that you can get a fairly ordinary massage. Nothing spectacular.

-A
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:48 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
It's not as much as spa as just a section of the main F lounge that has a few dividers in and cubicles so that you can get a fairly ordinary massage. Nothing spectacular.

-A
I agree wholeheartedly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.