Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2016, 12:23 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum
Originally Posted by Matt4
I thought PJ were withdrawn in J from all flights... Are they back on night flights ?
PJ's were never withdrawn on night flights. I have received them on all 4 my night flights the past 2 months.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 1:10 am

kl1987 if you read post 156 of the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...l#post25881567 thread you will see where the 'withdrawn' comment originates.
"On the following flight plan Two of which definitely qualify as overnight flights my wife, grandson and I were offered the following PJs for Wife Grandson Self
26/11 QR164 CPH-DOH 21.25-0525 None None None
27/11 QR816 DOH-HKG 07.50-20.40 XL XL None
16/12 QR815 HKG-DOH 00.01-04.40 XL None None
15/12 QR159 DOH-CPH 08.20-12.55 XL XL None

My wifes comment:'They have withdrawn PJs and just offering some leftovers¨'

I think my wife is right PJs are being withdrawn. "

My experience in the same time frame is vastly different to yours and others reported similar lack of PJs in that thread as well as availability.
You won in the PJ lottery and I lost!
Old Jan 30, 2016, 4:18 am

Programs: The Embassy
I had an FA told me they were being withdrawn as an example of QR cost cutting
Old Jan 30, 2016, 11:23 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Guys do QR F pax ex BKK get to experience the complimentary 1 hour massage/spa treatment at the TG F lounge ?
Old Jan 31, 2016, 2:40 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Nizar
Guys do QR F pax ex BKK get to experience the complimentary 1 hour massage/spa treatment at the TG F lounge ?
No.

As was answered a few posts above, the complimentary Spa Treatments are solely for TG F passengers.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 2:40 am

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
I had an FA told me they were being withdrawn as an example of QR cost cutting
From all flights, or purely day-flights?
Old Jan 31, 2016, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by boarding_pass
True and I had an experience where a Y passenger was entertained. Not sure if "old" premium lane vouchers can be used for future flights. There's a control number and it may be checked, right? Although I have an impression no one will bother.
I have ten or eleven spare 'Premium Lane vouchers' from QR.

I tend to use the oldest ones first, and keep the others for when I have friends who are not entitled to use the Lane.

In my experience, the Immigration Officer never checks the voucher properly, and just adds it to the pile!
Old Jan 31, 2016, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
No.

As was answered a few posts above, the complimentary Spa Treatments are solely for TG F passengers.
How about if we pay ?
Old Jan 31, 2016, 4:08 am

Programs: The Embassy
From all flights, or purely day-flights?
She didn't specify, and I didn't ask. We were chatting about if she ever read forums like FlyerTalk (nope) but she said that feedback that is found online is occassionaly emailed to the general staff. She was speculating that feedback would start to fall as the airline was making cutbacks to be profitable, and cited "pyjamas" as one area - afraid I failed in my duty by not clarifying :-)
Old Jan 31, 2016, 4:24 am

Nizar deliberately partially misunderstanding your last post: How do you pay for something complimentary?
Old Jan 31, 2016, 5:34 am

How about if we pay ?
Originally Posted by remdk
Nizar deliberately partially misunderstanding your last post: How do you pay for something complimentary?
Nizar - You cannot pay for the service in the TG Lounge, as there is no Price-List nor ability for the Lounge to accept payment.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 5:40 am

Nizar - You cannot pay for the service in the TG Lounge, as there is no Price-List nor ability for the Lounge to accept payment.
Originally Posted by remdk
msm2000uk - Thanks for the clarification.

remdk - I thought maybe it was given as a complimentary basis to TG F pax but other lounge occupants who were not TG F pax could enjoy the service on a paid basis. A reasonable question I thought lol.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
In my experience, the Immigration Officer never checks the voucher properly, and just adds it to the pile!
Never been asked for mine, and I stopped offering after realising they could be useful in some future world where I've dropped down the status tree

Perhaps I just look premium class

Though last time, I was pulled up for not providing my hotel's phone number. When I said i didn't know it, i was sent away to find out. So quickly wrote down my home (UK) number, which seemed to satisfy the protocol requirement.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I thought maybe it was given as a complimentary basis to TG F pax but other lounge occupants who were not TG F pax could enjoy the service on a paid basis. A reasonable question I thought lol.
In any case, paying for a service others are receiving free might not be a very satisfying experience.

I'm pretty sure you'll find other, paid, massage/spa options in the airport.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 2:24 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Bangkok First Class check in - or lack of

On Tuesday I arrived at Bangkok and found that there was a queue at the "First Class" check in.

Wow I thought First Class is popular but no, not one of the people in front of me was traveling first but were in business class, and I had to queue for 30 minutes

Why was there no proper queue management (I have absolutely no objection to the normal practice of when there are no First class passengers waiting to call over the next business class passenger to check in)

On board experience excellent but first impressions are important and I have to say that I was very annoyed. Worse still I understand that this experience is not unusual at Bangkok.

Any one else experience this problem at Bangkok and did you report it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.