Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:26 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Okay, thanks. Decided against it in the end as I am fine in Y at the moment and get some of the J benefits anyway via my Oneworld Sapphire status. Flying back in J in a few days time so can experience the product then.

I am currently in the upper deck Y cabin on the A380 and hardly any seats have been selected for the flight tomorrow - five rows of empty middle 4 seats so far. Much like when I flew to BKK last year and got an entire row of 4 to myself.

Fingers still crossed for an OpUp on either of my two flights tomorrow though!
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
>> I am currently in the upper deck Y cabin on the A380 and hardly any seats have been selected for the flight tomorrow
Only OW status people and full fare ticket holders can assign seats up there in advance. They will overflow the hoi polloi upstairs if the flight is busy.

I've experienced both scenarios. Once had 6 to myself ... window for me, next for my stuff, and four across the middle to sleep
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by boarding_pass
If you are willing to pay anyway, then checking with QR ticketing office is the best way. The offer upgrade is sometimes more expensive than upgrading the ticket itself (and the Qmiles/QPoints you'll receive will be based on 'O' class).
Thanks, BP. Is it efficient to e-mail QR to determine the cost to upgrade or is it best to just call?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by sharp5flat9
>> I am currently in the upper deck Y cabin on the A380 and hardly any seats have been selected for the flight tomorrow
Only OW status people and full fare ticket holders can assign seats up there in advance. They will overflow the hoi polloi upstairs if the flight is busy.

I've experienced both scenarios. Once had 6 to myself ... window for me, next for my stuff, and four across the middle to sleep
I think Y still has plenty of seats as I can book 9 and it's picking up a fairly low booking class.

Upstairs seat map has only one new seat selection, still six empty rows. My allocated seat is the window as that's my preference if the upper deck fills up, but if it's still empty when the doors close I'm sliding across to a row of 4 before take off!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:26 am

Programs: The Embassy
Call...
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:35 am

Programs: AA PLT
Hi All,

If you arrive on QR-F and need to connect to TG-J No checked in bags can you do it in sub 70 min?

Thanks,

Last edited by jrpaz; Feb 12, 2016 at 5:50 am
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by jrpaz
Hi All,

If you arrive on QR-F and need to connect to TG-J No checked in bags can you do it in sub 70 min.

Thanks,
Easy. Look up the transfer instructions International to Domestic (I am assuming here) on the BKK airport website.

EDIT: I am in a good mood today - http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/e...-boarding-pass
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Easy. Look up the transfer instructions International to Domestic (I am assuming here) on the BKK airport website.

EDIT: I am in a good mood today - http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/e...-boarding-pass
Thanks trying to find out where it says the time.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrpaz
Thanks trying to find out where it says the time.
It doesn't because then people start saying 'but, but, but...'. I don't know if there is an official MCT, but I would say less than 45 min with HBO. Maybe a tad more if you spend all the flight at the bar.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:04 am

Programs: EB*D, Hilton Diamond, Carlson Gold Elite, Amex Plat
I´ve got an upcoming trip in Eco from BKK with A388. As I will have lost status at the time of travel, would it be sufficient to check-in 1,5h before? I´ve traveled J before but can't remember the lines at check-in.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would take a little more time... Lines were very, very long when I was there last.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:24 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Insomnia4u
I´ve got an upcoming trip in Eco from BKK with A388. As I will have lost status at the time of travel, would it be sufficient to check-in 1,5h before? I´ve traveled J before but can't remember the lines at check-in.
You should plan to arrive well in advance as traffic is crazy in BKK (unless you're traveling on Sunday), check in queues are long for non status Y passengers, and the worst is immigration control (unless you kept one of your previous Premium Lane voucher) : Once I had to queue 1 hour and 15 minutes for immigration and the boarding gates are far away and they close 20 minutes before the flight. So don't play and avoid a very stressful experience by arriving 3 hours before your flight.
I hope you'll get back your status soon as traveling from BKK without status is just awful.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 5:03 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Insomnia4u
Depending on the timing of your flight, you wont need to worry about traffic.

I left at 01:40 on the A380, and left Ratchasprong at 11pm. It took 30mins - but early mornings and daytime traffic in BKK is horrendous.

I arrived at BKK 2 hours before my flight, and the Eco queues were round the corner of the check-in area. Personally, in Eco, I would allow 3 hours...but again, this depends on the time of your flight.

For the 01:40 flight, according to a friend at AoT, a lot of people reach the airport about 10 hours in advance...as that is when their hotels ask them to Check-Out (unless they pay for an extra night). As a result, the queues can be exceptionally long.

Worth adding that the J queue was busy (20 people), while F was empty - so the F desk was checking in J passengers in turn.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 5:31 am

Nearly diverted today due to medical concern.
Anyway a group of four people got banned from qr for safety reasons as a result.
Ill explain later but it was a .... show.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 5:38 am

Programs: EB*D, Hilton Diamond, Carlson Gold Elite, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Depending on the timing of your flight, you wont need to worry about traffic.

I left at 01:40 on the A380, and left Ratchasprong at 11pm. It took 30mins - but early mornings and daytime traffic in BKK is horrendous.

I arrived at BKK 2 hours before my flight, and the Eco queues were round the corner of the check-in area. Personally, in Eco, I would allow 3 hours...but again, this depends on the time of your flight.

For the 01:40 flight, according to a friend at AoT, a lot of people reach the airport about 10 hours in advance...as that is when their hotels ask them to Check-Out (unless they pay for an extra night). As a result, the queues can be exceptionally long.

Worth adding that the J queue was busy (20 people), while F was empty - so the F desk was checking in J passengers in turn.
Tnx, yes it´s the 01:40 flight. So the check-in on 380 flights still is only 3-hours? Seems tight regarding so many eco-passengers. I´ll see if I can't status match me to OW so I can check in in business line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.