Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2016, 4:46 pm

swancity many have suffered this downgrade and appear to have been compensated. Hopefully they will provide you with details.

QR has an acute shortage of wide-bodied aircraft so these types of aircraft swaps are to be expected.

Since you will be departing DOH in J you will have access to Al Mourjan not Al Safwa.

Talk to your local QR office about it.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 5:54 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by swancity
I booked a DOH-BKK-DOH first class flight ticket using airmiles sometime last year to travel this April, and just noticed that the QR830 leg to Bangkok has changed from an A380 to B777, meaning I am now flying out in business class rather than in first. Do I have any room for complaint here, as I was really looking forward to the whole first class experience (I've never flown better than business before). Does this also mean I now won't be able to use the new Al-Safwa lounge, even though I originally booked first class?

Thanks
Having had more than just a couple of aircraft swaps on the BKK route, I feel I might be fairly well placed to help!

You mentioned that you redeemed airmiles for your ticket. Are these Qmiles or Avios? The answer, will determine who you should contact.

If Avios, contact BA and discuss the downgrade with them.

If Qmiles, call QR.

Either way, you will likely be given 2 clear options:

1) Accept the downgrade, and receive the difference in miles as a refund.
2) Select an alternative QR flight to BKK, at a different time, that offers an F cabin.

Unfortunately, QR like to change aircraft fairly regularly, and although BKK is a fairly stable route, QR made similar changes (to those affecting you) last year. The A380, last year, was deployed to CDG opposed to BKK, for the summer months, ensuring 2 A380 flights a day into Paris.

In this instance, the change is nothing to do with a shortage of aircraft (as stated by remdk, but more so due to supply and demand. Paris is a very popular route for those in the Middle-East looking to escape the summer heat, while Bangkok is in low season from March-September.

Let us know how you get on.

Safe travels,

M
Old Feb 24, 2016, 2:46 am

This particular change in April is simply QR swapping a single weekly 77W from QR830 with an A380 from QR832. The overall amount of A380 flights between DOH and BKK is the same (for the time being). As msm2000uk says BKK tends to be a generally stable route in terms of equipment, the last time frequent swaps happened at BKK is when they had the political issues a few years back. The BKK route is due for some changes as HAN will be split from BKK later in the year.

The vast majority of swaps are due to commercial reasons, last minute swaps for commercial reasons are more common on short haul flights (e.g. a regional A330 flight has 80 pax booked and not much cargo might change to an A320 with less than a days notice). On long haul flights swaps for commercial reasons usually have more notice. The other common reason is IRROPS or aircraft maintenance. Finally the late A350 deliveries cause equipment swaps (e.g. a 777 takes place of the A350 flight, which in turn might have a A330 take its place etc). Also some flight swaps happen when QR pull the A380/A350 to participate in airshows.

A shortage of widebody aircraft at QR would imply the inability of QR to execute the published schedule (not in terms of equipment types but the actual flights). If QR are regularly cancelling long haul flights then that is evidence of that.

QR have not extended leases on certain widebody aircraft, are preparing for other aircraft to leave and at the same time accepting charters for widebody aircraft. They also always have widebody cover in case an aircraft goes tech in DOH and finally they are doing a lot of mods and non-essential maintenance as well as taking aircraft to participate in airshows, all things that wouldn't be possible if they had a real shortage of widebodies. The last time QR had to cancel a number of long haul flights for an extended period was the 787 grounding when they suddenly had 6 less widebody aircraft in the fleet for a few months.

QR would like to have a few more widebodies in the fleet than they currently have to allow the opening of more destinations and addition of more frequencies as well as the retirement of the A330/A340. As long as the A350 delays continue it is simply a case of pushing these plans to the right on the timeline until deliveries catch up.

Last edited by N1Rotate; Feb 24, 2016 at 2:58 am
Old Feb 24, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Hi All,

I remember reading something about a QR lounge going into BKK. I did a bit of hunting about and found this post on an thread from March 2015 -

Originally Posted by DH188
According to the Bangkok Post, QR will open their own lounge at BKK later this year.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/...ll-add-lounges

No firm completion date is given, but the designated area is already boarded up with some construction underway.
The link to the bangkokpost appears to be dead. Does anyone have any information whether QR are definitely putting a lounge into BKK as I'd like to do a bit of lounge hopping in June?

Thanks

Edit - I found out a little more here but not much - http://www.passengerterminaltoday.co...p?NewsID=65835 http://www.bangkokpost.com/print/461986/

Last edited by capin; Feb 24, 2016 at 1:00 pm
Old Feb 24, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: The Embassy
Interesting that SQ are also getting a new lounge. Their current one is by far the best of the current alliance offerings.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Ill be at BKK late on Thursday night and will try and take photos of the space given to QR for their lounge.

Numerous airlines wanted the space, but AoT awarded it (for a fee) to QR.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Ill be at BKK late on Thursday night and will try and take photos of the space given to QR for their lounge.

Numerous airlines wanted the space, but AoT awarded it (for a fee) to QR.
Thank you msm2000uk.

What I'd really like to know is, Will it be open by June 11th?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by capin
Thank you msm2000uk.

I doubt it, based on what state it is currently in (I'm told).

However, you will have an ample selection of other lounges for your trip, so no need to worry 3.5 months in advance!
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:00 pm

I doubt it, based on what state it is currently in (I'm told).

However, you will have an ample selection of other lounges for your trip, so no need to worry 3.5 months in advance!
I'm not worried about the lounge in BKK, I was going to lounge hop CX-QR. What is bothering me far more is what is Al Mourjan going to be like during Ramadan?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:24 pm

I'm not worried about the lounge in BKK, I was going to lounge hop CX-QR. What is bothering me far more is what is Al Mourjan going to be like during Ramadan?
Info in the Lounge wiki. Food on offer as normal, but no alcohol served.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:26 pm

Info in the Lounge wiki. Food on offer as normal, but no alcohol served.
I was having a read of it earlier. The irony is that I have a 50 minute transfer in DOH on the way out (non ramadan) and a 6.5(ish) hour transfer on the way back (in ramadan). I wonder will I get a glass of champagne in Al Mourjan on this trip?

Last edited by capin; Feb 25, 2016 at 8:07 am
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:36 pm

What year?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by ft101
What year?
Indeed.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 2:34 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Stumbled upon this post in another forum which suggests they were aiming for end of February. Not looking at all likely though...

http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...ml#post1365882
Old Feb 25, 2016, 2:35 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I was having a read of it earlier. The irony is that I have a 50 minute transfer in DOH on the way out (non ramadan) and a 6.5(isn) hour transfer on the way back (in ramadan). I wonder will I get a glass of champagne in Al Mourjan on this trip?
If previous years are anything to go by, I'm afraid you will be out of luck on the champagne front

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.