Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by amnicoll
On Tuesday I arrived at Bangkok and found that there was a queue at the "First Class" check in.

Wow I thought First Class is popular but no, not one of the people in front of me was traveling first but were in business class, and I had to queue for 30 minutes
Thirty minutes seems an AWFUL long time, for any premium-class line . I'm surprised the poor folk from business-class aren't complaining.....

Could some of the people blocking your access have been status-entitled users of first-class check-in?
Old Feb 4, 2016, 3:22 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Seems very odd - especially as there is a separate line for First Class Check-In (closest desk to the entrance into the airport).

I would have found a member of staff and complained - especially as I have never queued for more than about 3 minutes at the First Class Desk!
Old Feb 4, 2016, 3:41 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
there were a lot in the business queues as well. There are two flights 50 minutes apart and check in was for both (only one of which had First)

Yes some could have been status holders. However I was told by a member of the crew that this was not the first time that people had complained about the situation at Bangkok.

This in the first instance is a simple lack of queue management. Before the check in opened there was no separate First Class check in area and it was combined with the business. There was a vinyl poster for first class inside the premium area (mind you it looked as if it was put to one side and was not being used) but no separate entrance or queue line provided for the First class. Unlike other airlines before the check in staff arrived the TV display screens simply said "Qatar all flights" and did not indicate which counter was for which class.

Only when the staff arrived did they then indicate which check in counter was which by which time it was too late
Old Feb 4, 2016, 3:48 am

amnicoll one of the benefits for PC Platinum is been "Other Airports: Check-in at First/Business Class counter irrespective of cabin of travel." http://www.qatarairways.com/Privileg...m_members.page This benefit also applies to OWEs.

Until the changes bought about by Oneworld membership Gold was the highest PC level and had this benefit. This benefit was not immediately removed from Gold. In fact it is only recently it has been removed for PC Golds.

So you are sharing First Class check-in with PC Platinum and OWE members. But there are still a large number og PC Golds that are not aware of the recent changes and still use the First Class check-in.

You may be aware of a thread on this forum dealing specifically with BKK http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ngkok-bkk.html suggesting that BKK is especially popular with FT members, and most likely PC members also.

Since there can be a maximum of 8 first class passengers it is not an unreasonable benefit offered to loyal customers. But, that said, it sounds as though the handling agent is not exercising proper crowd control.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 4:38 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR
Every time I have travelled through Bangkok the queue at first class whilst not always long is very slow moving. This seems to be a result of large groups checking in together (where not all the people checking in seem to be at the check in desk at the same time) and lots of baggage being checked in with lengthy 'discussions' over excess baggage charges. I think I can say that I have never encountered any of the people ahead of me in the first class cabin. The trick seems to be to catch the eye of the check in supervisor who will nearly always arrange for a ticketed first class passenger to be dealt with immediately
Old Feb 4, 2016, 5:50 am

"Normally" QR tends to differentiate between First/Business check-in and cardholder check-in. They don't do that in BKK?
Old Feb 4, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
"Normally" QR tends to differentiate between First/Business check-in and cardholder check-in. They don't do that in BKK?
There is a separate First Class Check-In desk. As I said earlier, it is the desk closest to the entrance of the airport.

I use it twice a month, and never find a queue - although I dont turn up 3 hours early either. 90mins is ample time to Check-In, go through security, walk 1.3km to the TG F Lounge, have a drink (or something to eat), and then walk to the C concourse.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
There is a separate First Class Check-In desk. As I said earlier, it is the desk closest to the entrance of the airport.

Yes but firstly it was not separated from the business desk with a separate queue and it was not labeled as First Class until after the check in opened and no one did anything to check that people were in the correct queue and hence the long
Old Feb 4, 2016, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by amnicoll

Yes but firstly it was not separated from the business desk with a separate queue and it was not labeled as First Class until after the check in opened and no one did anything to check that people were in the correct queue and hence the long
I appreciate that, but I was answering the question posed by FlyingScientist.

From the sounds of your post, you were at the airport very early (3 hours), hence I wrote, in my post, that I am never there that early.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 9:59 am

Leaving next Thursday for Koh Samui. Going through Doha.

Got Upgraded to FIRST!

Business was completely full and oversold!
Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: SK Diamond, QR Platinum, AA Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by surftb15
Leaving next Thursday for Koh Samui. Going through Doha.

Got Upgraded to FIRST!

Business was completely full and oversold!
What booking class and status did you have (registered)?
Old Feb 4, 2016, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by sexten
What booking class and status did you have (registered)?
J booking class. No status with qr.. Only AA. Wife is CK and I'm ExP.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
Originally Posted by surftb15
J booking class. No status with qr.. Only AA. Wife is CK and I'm ExP.
Are U upgraded from the USA-DOH or DOH-BKK ?
Old Feb 4, 2016, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Flyiboy
Are U upgraded from the USA-DOH or DOH-BKK ?
No. Just DOH BKK. The other flight is only two class.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 12:41 pm

I was commenting on sharing First Class check-in with OWE. This is usually not the case with QR, who separate OW status card holders from premier class. Even their small operation in EDI has one counter for Business and another for OWE status (although more often than not I get helped at just the other one).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.