Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2015, 3:38 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Bad news... the QF BKK lounge is closing. See here

So if you want a shower, you'll have to use the TG C or E lounges. If you want a decent glass of wine... forget it
Old Nov 12, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by kt74
Bad news... the QF BKK lounge is closing. See here

So if you want a shower, you'll have to use the TG C or E lounges. If you want a decent glass of wine... forget it
Thats really bad news. I used the lounge last time instead of the thai lounge and find it much better and not so crowded.

Will try the cathy lounge next time insead
Old Nov 12, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Is there any more news about QR opening its own lounge at BKK? All seems to have gone quiet on that front so I wonder if they've dropped the plan...
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: Eurobonus EBD, BW Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by purple1addict
Is there any more news about QR opening its own lounge at BKK? All seems to have gone quiet on that front so I wonder if they've dropped the plan...
or it might be in the works, their track record of delays and hush hush makes anything possible
Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
I've had trouble checking in early for anyone other than Thai, as they generally don't have staff there to check you in. CX and JL have both let me check in when they had booths open from earlier flights, but I was lucky both times that they did.
Cathay has 13 flights per day ex BKK I think the counter is open permanently.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
788 on DOH-BKK ???

I've just edited the Wiki to add information for Y passengers and I've noticed that someone previously wrote on the Wiki there was 788 on this route. I've never seen that. But I've flown DOH-HKT on a 788...

Has anobody flown QR on a 788 between DOH and BKK ?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 10:53 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Qr flights to/from BKK

To my knowledge this is the lastest on DOH-BKK route:
From airleneroute.net, never noticed a B788

QATAR Airways in second-half of November 2015 is expanding planned capacity on Doha – Bangkok service, with the addition of 20th weekly service on board Airbus A380 aircraft. QR832 on Mondays, QR837 on Tuesdays will be operated by A380 from 16NOV15 to 01DEC15, instead of 777-300ER.

QR operates this route 4 times a day.

QR834 DOH0120 – 1135BKK 77W D
QR836 DOH0155 – 1210BKK 388 D
QR832 DOH0830 – 1845BKK 388 x2
QR832 DOH0830 – 1845BKK 77W 2
QR830 DOH2040 – 0655+1BKK 388 D

QR837 BKK0140 – 0440DOH 388 x3
QR837 BKK0140 – 0440DOH 77W 3
QR831 BKK0835 – 1135DOH 388 D
QR835 BKK1955 – 2255DOH 77W D
QR833 BKK2045 – 2355DOH 388 D
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:23 am

Programs: The Embassy
Removed the QF lounge from the Wiki now that QF are using Louis Tavern lounge.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:16 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Thanks to Matt4 and zebrametalevel for further editing the WIKI in my absence.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
Just did the A380 on QR833 BKK-DOH 20:45-23:55 and there were no PJs in C/F. The FA managed to find a couple of PJs from a previous flight (still wrapped), though.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 9:40 am

Back in February we got PJs on that flight. I will be on the 01:40 flight from BKK. Do they give PJs on that flight?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 9:47 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by El_Duderito
Just did the A380 on QR833 BKK-DOH 20:45-23:55 and there were no PJs in C/F. The FA managed to find a couple of PJs from a previous flight (still wrapped), though.
This flight is not classified as a night-flight, and so no pjamas are offered. However, in F, it is usual for there to be pjamas available...if not necessarily offered. On the numerous times I have taken QR833, I have always been offered pjamas.

Originally Posted by bthau
Back in February we got PJs on that flight. I will be on the 01:40 flight from BKK. Do they give PJs on that flight?
Yes, on QR837, the 01:40 departure from BKK-DOH on the A380, pjamas are offered in both F and J.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by El_Duderito
I was on that same flight a week ago and PJs were offered in J.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Anyone have luck getting into the Royal First Lounge when arriving on QR but departing another OW airline? I imagine it's not part of the rules so I'd have to depend on my wit and charm.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
Anyone have luck getting into the Royal First Lounge when arriving on QR but departing another OW airline? I imagine it's not part of the rules so I'd have to depend on my wit and charm.
It has nothing to do with wit and charm. You need a voucher to enter the TG Lounge and it's not an arrivals lounge. Thai won't get paid for allowing you into their lounge so you can pretty much forget it. For your connection you have to rely on the oneWorld Lounges available with CX being the best choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.