Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: BAEC: Gold, HH:Diamond, Marriott: Platinum, IHG: Diamond Ambassador
What is the situation if flying Y but with OWS status? Will they issue a lounge voucher at checkin?
Leaving on the 837 at 01:40 means the OW lounges will all be shut by then?

Is the 3 hour checkin mentioned earlier in this thread enforced even when HBO?
Old Sep 12, 2015, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by amnicoll
Thanks, for me the issue with the Thai business lounge is the poor selection of food available and not what I would hope for from a business lounge - I am a traveler who likes to be at the airport early and relax with a nice meal before the flight rather than panic at the last minute.
If you are looking for a nice meal, then it might be better to seek out a restaurant. Though, to be honest, I've never noticed one at BKK.

Business lounges rarely offer full meal service.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by adfg
Is the 3 hour checkin mentioned earlier in this thread enforced even when HBO?
Yes, but you can check in online. Mobile screenshot of your boarding pass will get you to the gate. However, they won't issue a fast track pass or lounge invitation
Old Sep 13, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: BAEC: Gold, HH:Diamond, Marriott: Platinum, IHG: Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by kt74
Yes, but you can check in online. Mobile screenshot of your boarding pass will get you to the gate. However, they won't issue a fast track pass or lounge invitation
Thanks
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by amnicoll
Thanks, for me the issue with the Thai business lounge is the poor selection of food available and not what I would hope for from a business lounge - I am a traveler who likes to be at the airport early and relax with a nice meal before the flight rather than panic at the last minute.

As a result of the Thai lounge I have never even examined the idea of flying to Thailand with Thai
The Thai business lounge is not the same as the Thai F lounge. I was in there a couple of weeks ago for an 8 hour layover on QR F. I found it quite pleasant, it's the first time I've managed reasonable sleep in an airline lounge anywhere, although the slumber rooms are basic. I enjoyed the food, no it wasn't Michelin star quality, but it was very tasty. There were always significantly more staff there than passengers. It was what I'd call "empty" at all times.

On the negative side, the Thai F lounge is a long walk to the E gate where the A/C was parked, I walk reasonably quickly and it took fifteen minutes. There was no buggy offered for QR F pax.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 3:47 am

Doha/Bangkok return

Will be flying in J on 836/837 return between Doha and Bangkok. Both flights depart around 2am local times. 836 arriving BK at midday and 837 in Doha at around 7am.
Has anyone travelled on these flights and could please advise on which meal service will be available. It will probably affect whether we eat before flying or on board.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 3:54 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Ronel
Will be flying in J on 836/837 return between Doha and Bangkok. Both flights depart around 2am local times. 836 arriving BK at midday and 837 in Doha at around 7am.
Has anyone travelled on these flights and could please advise on which meal service will be available. It will probably affect whether we eat before flying or on board.
You will be served dinner on the flights, with a breakfast service prior to landing.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 4:35 am

Many thanks

That's great I thought it may just have been a snack and breakfast on arrival
Old Sep 22, 2015, 4:37 am

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Ronel
That's great I thought it may just have been a snack and breakfast on arrival
From my experience (in both J and F admittedly), a full dinner service is offered - although there were very few passengers who wanted to eat that late!
Old Sep 22, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: QR Plat
It's a pretty short stretch; I've done it in J/F many times, and always follow the same pattern: find some good food before departure and use the flight to snooze and catch up on a book or some music.

-A
Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:09 am

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ± ♪♪♪ 7¾³ © ™
If it helps this was my menu on QR834 01:15 DOH to BKK 12:05

Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH, EK, QR
I flew on 836 in May in J, full dinner and a decent breakfast before landing, and if it is still operated by the 380 the bar was open from after dinner, where I spent most of the journey, looking forward to repeating the journey again sometime soon!
Old Sep 24, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: CXAM BAEC
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
From my experience (in both J and F admittedly), a full dinner service is offered - although there were very few passengers who wanted to eat that late!
Old Sep 24, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: CXAM BAEC
Can I swap the sequence of dinner and breakfast?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:00 pm

Just a quick comment to those travelling through BKK in F.

BKK currently has 3 operation A380 gates - two on the E side, and one on the C side of the airport.

As both E side gates are now complete, QR flights tend to arrive/depart from this side. Previously, the A380 flights departed from C7, but are now more likely to depart from E4 or E8.

As a result, and if you want to save yourself the 1 KM walk from C/D side to E side, please note that there is a Thai F lounge on the E concourse.

It is a small, roped off, area within the Royal Orchid lounge. It is perfectly pleasant, and fine for a couple of hours.

It is tiny compared to the C/D-side F lounge, with seating for just 24 people (there are currently just two of us here).

The menu is identical, but the seating is more modern and far newer. It is, to be honest, a little disappointing in comparison to the larger C/D-side F lounge, but I dont travel QR for their lounges (CDG is a prime example).

I may wander off to the CX lounge shortly, as it is nearby, but it is worth noting that this F lounge is available to QR passengers on the E side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.