Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2015, 1:36 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by jumbooze
I have used the slumber rooms at the TG F lounge, not great since you hear a lot of the airport noise in the rooms, bring earplugs or Bose qc15
Ok, thank you, in that case I'll go landside and get a hotel.

Regarding Bose QCs, I have purchased quite a selection over the years going back to the QC1s but the on ear/over ear ones I gave up on some time ago because (a) the black pads disintegrate leaving your face covered in black bits and (b) they feedback too easily, screeching into your ear just as you nod off.

More recently despite my previous experiences I invested in a set of QC20i in ear jobs, and I tried them the other day on a couple of Cathay flights between LHR and HKG, they are awesome! There are many excellent design decisions, such as operating as normal non-ear cancellers if the battery's flat or you want to operate them in that way. I find them unusually comfortable for in ear headphones, and they don't feed back. The iPhone version also works perfectly well as headphones with other tech, including IFE, but the remote controls won't work.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 1:45 am

Programs: Eurobonus EBD, BW Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Howard Long
Ok, thank you, in that case I'll go landside and get a hotel.
Novotel BKK has hourly transit rooms, otherwise I have stayed with the Best Western that has a free shuttle service
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:42 am

Quick comment regarding sleeping in BKK, notably the Thai F lounge. I had three hours' kip in one of their slumber rooms today during an eight hour layover. I could've had as long as I wanted.

Some points to note about this lounge:

When I arrived at about 13:30, it was practically empty, I think only one other customer was there. It's now 19:30 and barely 5% capacity. There are far far more staff than pax.

Champagne is bog standard Moet.

I really enjoyed the food I had here, why is it that you have to come to Thailand to get that awesomeness of spicy and aromatic flavours?

Slumber rooms are very basic. You get a blanket barely large enough, and the aircon is continually blowing over you. Fairly noise free apart from the aircon, I couldn't see a way to turn it off. You can just hear the odd announcement, enough to wake me up, but popped in me new Bose noise cancelling ear pod thingies and I was sweet.

(Edit: the slumber rooms have a window in the door, an interesting concept, I suppose it deters nefarious goings on but I found the concept a bit weird. There's a small table by the bed and a luggage bench, but no chairs or desk. You wouldn't use the slumber room to do any serious work. US and EU combo sockets are in there too, not UK style though.)

Very attentive staff.

When I arrived, there was some fannying around because I didn't have a lounge invite, having come from a connecting flight. They very helpfully rang around for five minutes and got the OK while I was invited to relax in the lobby by the reception.

I was offered a "room"' a section off the main lounge, with six comfy chairs, a telly and a puter. It looks like there are about half a dozen of these rooms.

It's a bit tired, but other benefits mentioned make it very comfortable.

(Edit: the Thai F lounge is near gate D1 and was a very long way from where the A/C was parked at E8. I'm a reasonably swift walker, it took me 15 minutes. There is no buggy service offered to QR F Pax as far as I could see, unlike Thai F. Boarding at E8 was pretty chaotic, there was no discernible F/J line, and there was a reasonably long queue once I got there, complicated by the travellator dumping folk off at the head of the line. Thus, chaos ensued.)

Last edited by Howard Long; Aug 31, 2015 at 1:30 am
Old Sep 1, 2015, 4:55 am

QR837

We are travelling BK to Doha on QR 837 departing 01:40 in J. Do we have any options lounge wise. Last time through BK (some time ago) we were directed to one of the Thai lounges which was pretty miserable. Could not even get a glass of wine and my wife was not very well after indulging in some of the not very inviting food. We later saw some of the food being removed and then brought back again. Same food warmed up?? Off topic does anyone have experience of which meal service will be served on this flight. Thanks.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:06 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Ronel
We are travelling BK to Doha on QR 837 departing 01:40 in J. Do we have any options lounge wise. Last time through BK (some time ago) we were directed to one of the Thai lounges which was pretty miserable. Could not even get a glass of wine and my wife was not very well after indulging in some of the not very inviting food. We later saw some of the food being removed and then brought back again. Same food warmed up?? Off topic does anyone have experience of which meal service will be served on this flight. Thanks.
You may have access to the CX lounge, but that may depend on whether you have OneWorld status.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:36 am

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
I am flying QR833 in J next Monday (dept 20.40)
According CP rules oneworld carrier Business Class have access.
Re opening hours seems I am OK (before 17SEP)
I do hesitate visiting the Novotel 18.00 buffet instead, at 1050B net still a treat.

Concourse G, 3rd floor

From now till 16SEP
Mon / Wed / Fri / Sun: 0400 – 0145 (CX706 departs at 0205)
Tue / Thu / Sat: 0400 – 0100 (CX706 departs at 0120)

Starting from 17SEP
Mon / Wed / Fri: 0400 - 1830
Tue / Thu / Sat: 0400 - 0100
Sun: 0400 - 2230

And no news on QR's own lounge opening 2015?
Bangkok Post had a newsflash in March on this subject.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:38 am

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
If travelling in J you will have access to CX lounge if open regardless of your status
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
We are travelling BK to Doha on QR 837 departing 01:40 in J. Do we have any options lounge wise. Last time through BK (some time ago) we were directed to one of the Thai lounges which was pretty miserable.
I'm on 837 tonight, and it's departing 02:40

Currently in the CX lounge, which is absolutely lovely - probably one of the best shorthaul outstation lounges anywhere - great food at the noodle bar, relaxing ambience and really comfy seats! And I was in the Qantas lounge earlier for a shower - it's a bit worn, but the food was "differently nice" and more choice of wine (but still woeful - it's a Thailand thing, I think...). Full list of accessible lounges here. I could go to the JL lounge too, I guess

Funnily enough, I can't get into the TG lounges. I got to BKK early and thought I'd try to get the earlier A380 flight, but QR wanted to charge me USD1k for the privilege. QR then refused to issue boarding pass, fast track or lounge vouchers, as 837 check in opens strictly 3 hours before. So I online checked in while standing at the desk and used a stashed premium track voucher from a previous trip. No lounge pass though, so I'm having to slum it at other OW lounges instead - what a shame. In hindsight I'm actually glad I'm here rather than in DOH - the new CX lounge is *that* nice! But no Krug, alas
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by kt74
Full list of accessible lounges here.
Right. CX flight boarded around 00:40, and nothing left for the last couple of hours than the TG lounge. I feel like I've arrived in a Third World airport - fading, oddly stained furniture, chicken frankfurters and pre-packaged, unidentified "premium snacks". Mmmm...
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:02 pm

Thai J lounge

Originally Posted by kt74
Right. CX flight boarded around 00:40, and nothing left for the last couple of hours than the TG lounge. I feel like I've arrived in a Third World airport - fading, oddly stained furniture, chicken frankfurters and pre-packaged, unidentified "premium snacks". Mmmm...
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:08 pm

Re. Thai lounge

The lounge you describe is exactly the one we were trying to avoid and in my wife's case the food. Unfortunately we are travelling on a Monday and it looks like the CX lounge will be closing early from the middle of this month. Sad it sounds much better. Odd that no further mention has been made re the new Thai Lounge. But the again maybe not.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 5:36 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Hi all,

My brother and I will be in BKK as a transit from a QF flight (SYD-BKK) and then onto a QR833 in F.

It seems from this thread that I will be able to use the famed Thai flagship F lounge however may not be entitled to a one hour complimentary massage - is this indeed the case ?

To enter the lounge will I need some sort of voucher from QR ? Or will be QR F boarding pass suffice ?

I will have about 5 hours transit (the QF flight arrives at 15:30), so more than enough time to enjoy the lounge properly - but probably not enough time to head into town ?

Thanks
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Nizar
Hi all,

My brother and I will be in BKK as a transit from a QF flight (SYD-BKK) and then onto a QR833 in F.

It seems from this thread that I will be able to use the famed Thai flagship F lounge however may not be entitled to a one hour complimentary massage - is this indeed the case ?

To enter the lounge will I need some sort of voucher from QR ? Or will be QR F boarding pass suffice ?

I will have about 5 hours transit (the QF flight arrives at 15:30), so more than enough time to enjoy the lounge properly - but probably not enough time to head into town ?

Thanks
To ease entry, a QR voucher will help. I assume they're issued at landside check in at BKK. On my flight itinerary at the weekend it was CDG-DOH-BKK-DOH-CDG on a mileage run, and I transited airside at BKK as I already had all the QR boarding cards. That in itself was entertaining, doing a boomerang trip at the transit they seemed insistent that I needed to go landside, but I managed to avoid that in the end.

At the lounge near the D1 gate I had to wait for five minutes while they figured out how to let me in without a voucher even though I had an appropriate boarding card. Again, the concept of such a trip didn't compute at first, but they were exceptionally polite and helpful.

I don't know about QF, but I couldn't get BA to issue me with QR boarding passes despite being on the same PNR from LHR the previous evening, with a <12 hour overnight layover in CDG. The BA check in agent at the F check in at LHR T5 tried her hardest, but computer said no. The same applied with QR not being able to issue me a BA boarding card at CDG despite a 3hr same day connection. So much for oneworld. In the end I checked in online for this connection and downloaded the BP to my phone.

The lounge itself I found to be reasonably pleasant, and it was empty when I was there. Food, although not posh by any measure, was super tasty, but then I love proper spicy and aromatic Thai food.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by Howard Long
To ease entry, a QR voucher will help. I assume they're issued at landside check in at BKK.
So i'll have to go landside just for this ?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: The Embassy
There's a QR desk airside, I wonder if they would be able to give you a voucher?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.