Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: BA - Gold, On Business, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by impeymac
Seems clear enough to me.

I give up.
Thanks, it was about time!

Looks like only F passengers are allowed into silk, not J according to Thai air website
http://www.thai-airways.ru/en/exp_th...#div1-section2

With due respect if people can't help me may I suggest not wasting my time and theirs by posting things which are of no use to anyone
Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: The Embassy
I generally fly out of Bangkok, and it's confusing.

Business class travellers can use Royal Orchid, or Royal Silk, which are both business class lounges, they just have different names.

They used to be opposite each other(!) at Concourse E. Now that's where the Royal Orchid lounge is, which is horribly dated, and I wouldn't recommend.

As OWE, I haven't ever been given an invite to the Royal First Lounge, which as I understand, is also at Concourse E.

Concourse E, confusingly, is the main area where all the shops are, and is ~1km long.

I quite like the JAL lounge, just for something unusual. Old CX lounge was nothing special, need to try the new one some time.

I can highly recommend spending as little time at Swampy as you possibly can.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
I generally fly out of Bangkok, and it's confusing.

Business class travellers can use Royal Orchid, or Royal Silk, which are both business class lounges, they just have different names.

They used to be opposite each other(!) at Concourse E. Now that's where the Royal Orchid lounge is, which is horribly dated, and I wouldn't recommend.

As OWE, I haven't ever been given an invite to the Royal First Lounge, which as I understand, is also at Concourse E.

Concourse E, confusingly, is the main area where all the shops are, and is ~1km long.

I quite like the JAL lounge, just for something unusual. Old CX lounge was nothing special, need to try the new one some time.

I can highly recommend spending as little time at Swampy as you possibly can.
Thanks that's very useful. Are you sure J passengers can access Silk, see the above link, it says F only.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by docvenkat
Thanks, it was about time!

Looks like only F passengers are allowed into silk, not J according to Thai air website
http://www.thai-airways.ru/en/exp_th...#div1-section2

With due respect if people can't help me may I suggest not wasting my time and theirs by posting things which are of no use to anyone
May I suggest you take the the time to actually read the threads on this forum. Don't expect others to help you when you're too lazy to do it for yourself.

A link to the OW website is usually considered very helpful, even by rude lazy posters. In future I won't try & help you by pointing you in the right direction, I'll ignore your posts like the others.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 12:03 pm

May I suggest you take the the time to actually read the threads on this forum. Don't expect others to help you when you're too lazy to do it for yourself.

A link to the OW website is usually considered very helpful, even by rude lazy posters. In future I won't try & help you by pointing you in the right direction, I'll ignore your posts like the others.

That's exactly what I want you to do, ignore if you can't help!
Old Jun 14, 2015, 12:11 pm

To be honest and to elaborate the link you pointed out does not say if J passengers can use silk and/or Royal orchid. And you seem to be insisting! But thanks if your intention was to help me anyway.

I repeat, J passengers do not seem access to Silk lounge according to the Thai airways link I sent earlier
Old Jun 14, 2015, 12:37 pm

I have used Royal Silk 5 times this year. This is not the same as Royal First. Rules may have subsequently changed, I guess.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 6:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ph-ndr
In BKK the CX lounge is in the D area, almost at the intersection with E area.
That's no longer the case with the opening of the new lounge. It is located at concourse G. The D lounge is now closed.

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
From memory, I usually depart from C6-C8 because I take the a380 route, which limits the number of possible gates QR can park at.
It was C3 on Saturday.

Originally Posted by docvenkat
Please for clarification sake - as OWS and QR business class passenger, which lounges am I allowed. Also where can I get a shower and a nap? How early do these guys allow me in as I have a 10 hour layover, but will be having boarding passes.
As a OWS travelling on a Oneworld carrier you can access any of the Oneworld lounges at BKK. My suggestion is to go for the Cathay Pacific lounge. You can also access any of the TG lounges apart from the First lounge. If you want a shower then go to the QF lounge, is it located very close to the Cathay lounge (concourse G).

Go into the city. It's very easy. Visit a few of the temples, enjoy some nice Thai food then head back to the airport, freshen up and relax before your flight.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by matthandy

As a OWS travelling on a Oneworld carrier you can access any of the Oneworld lounges at BKK. My suggestion is to go for the Cathay Pacific lounge. You can also access any of the TG lounges apart from the First lounge. If you want a shower then go to the QF lounge, is it located very close to the Cathay lounge (concourse G).

Go into the city. It's very easy. Visit a few of the temples, enjoy some nice Thai food then head back to the airport, freshen up and relax before your flight.
Thanks
Old Jun 16, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
This assumes they're open (the QF lounge hours seem to be shortening, and CX is only open on alternate evenings). They also need to be aware of the lounge rules, as when MH first joined OW (and presumably also QR), there was a lot of shrugging of shoulders or "this lounge is full"

Is there any other option than TG for the 2:40am QR flight? (Does anyone know the JL hours and/or whether it's as awful as the main TG lounge?) And do you need an invitation for TG, or will any TG lounge just let you in with boarding pass?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 7:59 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kt74
Is there any other option than TG for the 2:40am QR flight? (Does anyone know the JL hours and/or whether it's as awful as the main TG lounge?) And do you need an invitation for TG, or will any TG lounge just let you in with boarding pass?
The JL lounge hours are around 6am - 8.30am & 6pm - 11.30pm I think (check the OW web entry for BKK lounges for options...). I thought it was quite nice, not the largest but a decent selection of lite bites including a couple of hot meal choices when I visited at the beginning of the month. The wine & spirits selection is quite small but as they were offering JW Gold reserve self-pours I wasn't interested in much else!

QR normally give an invite to the TG lounge with a recommendation as to which one to use wrt the departure gate, though you can get into any of them. Not sure about gaining entry without an invite, IIRC I did that once, but it was quite a while ago & things may have changed since then. If only the TG lounges are available I'd suggest utilising the large main lounge near gate D2. It likely to be crowded but it's less likely to be overloaded due to it's large size.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 8:09 am

We should do a BKK meetup at some point
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Edited to add: As you'll be in F then that makes a difference as you won't be experiencing the TG J lounge. I've heard that the F lounge is much better. Still, if you have some time, check out the CX lounge, it's close to where security kicks you out anyway.
How big is the new CX lounge? I guess I'm trying to figure out how crowded it will be since it is a OW lounge and it sounds like every OWS/OWE flying ex-BKK will descend to this lounge.

Also has anyone try both TG F lounge and the new CX lounge and if so, which one is better? It's not an issue for me but trying to decide whether it is worth dragging my (elderly) parents all the way to CX lounge if the QR flight is leaving from a different concourse ...
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:50 pm

How about the 8am flight on QR, first class, got a reward booking on it. Wondering if its worth going earlier to enjoy the lounge access
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:29 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Rivarix
Also has anyone try both TG F lounge and the new CX lounge and if so, which one is better? It's not an issue for me but trying to decide whether it is worth dragging my (elderly) parents all the way to CX lounge if the QR flight is leaving from a different concourse ...
I popped into the CX Lounge briefly this evening to see it. It is significantly better than the TG J Lounge, but not as good as the TG F Lounge (which itself is probably a 7/10 lounge). If you are flying J, and don't mind the longer walk to the gates, then I'd recommend the CX lounge. However, if you are in F, I would suggest the TG F Lounge.

Originally Posted by tboons
How about the 8am flight on QR, first class, got a reward booking on it. Wondering if its worth going earlier to enjoy the lounge access
As you are in F, you will have access to the TG F Lounge at the start of the D concourse. The entrance is to the left at the bottom of the escalator. Personally I would not recommend getting up extra early to spend time in the lounge. It is pleasant, and the staff are exceptional, but I wouldnt make a special trip for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.