Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, BAEC Silver, Thai Silver, Bangkok Air, Krisflyer Blue
QR to and from Bangkok (BKK)

We are flying into BKK from HKT on Thai in a weeks time on our return journey to LHR via BKK and DOH.
Due to arrive in BKK at around 20:30 and scheduled to take QR837 at 01:40 to DOH. I am thinking that we will not be able to check in at BKK until 3 hours before at around 10:40. So I will ask Thai at HKT to check our bags thru to LHR and do an online check-in for the QR flights before we depart HKT and have the BPs printed by the hotel business centre. Will Thai be willing to check the bags thru or will we need to collect the bags and go land-side at BKK to wait until 10:40 for the QR check in to open.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: The Embassy
Originally Posted by qwest01
Will Thai be willing to check the bags thru
TG list QR as an interline partner

http://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/Ter...e_partner.page
Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:43 pm
Suspended

In CDG, at QR check in they did not let me check my luggage through CNX (Bkk CNX with Tg)
Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jeff_
In CDG, at QR check in they did not let me check my luggage through CNX (Bkk CNX with Tg)
That's because you have to clear customs in BKK, as the next leg is domestic.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:20 am

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
That's wrong from QR at CDG check in:
http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/e...-boarding-pass.

Incidentally I flew QR BKK to CPH yesterday and had a continuation flight to BRU on SN with different ticket, the check in lady was a bit confused, asked if SN was a low cost airline (which it is not) and tagged my bag to BRU with SN flight number, all was fine.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
Anyone have luck getting into the Royal First Lounge when arriving on QR but departing another OW airline? I imagine it's not part of the rules so I'd have to depend on my wit and charm.
Behind those famously gracious smiles you'll find minds focussed totally on revenue and rules. Neither of those work in your favour.

Turning on mega-watts of charm will be an exercise in frustration. But, hey, it will fill in some of your waiting time
Old Nov 29, 2015, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
That's because you have to clear customs in BKK, as the next leg is domestic.
Actually customs for Baggage to Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Phuket will take place at the final destination but not sure how well the computers are hooked up with that regulation. I assume all is fine if booked on the same PNR.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:35 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
There's a special desk at BKK airport to do an international to domestic transfer. If there is an interline agreement between the international carrier and TG (or indeed Bangkok Airways) they will transfer your bags. You do clear immigration at BKK. At CNX you will be directed to the international arrivals where you will clear customs.

The BKK airport website actually has a pretty clear description of the process.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 6:13 am

I stand corrected and learned something new ;-)
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
There's a special desk at BKK airport to do an international to domestic transfer. If there is an interline agreement between the international carrier and TG (or indeed Bangkok Airways) they will transfer your bags. You do clear immigration at BKK. At CNX you will be directed to the international arrivals where you will clear customs.

The BKK airport website actually has a pretty clear description of the process.
Are you talking about this ?http://m.suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/1083-domestic-to-international-ciq
Did you try it ? How can they transfert your bags
To me this is only possible if you can check through your luggage first from you departure point, or am I missing something ?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:10 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by Jeff_
Are you talking about this ?http://m.suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/...ernational-ciq
Did you try it ? How can they transfert your bags
To me this is only possible if you can check through your luggage first from you departure point, or am I missing something ?
We only had hand luggage, so we didn't need to check our luggage through.

The link you give is domestic to international. When we checked in on the way back in Samui with Bangkok Airways, they asked for our onward ticket, and were happy to check our bags through on QR. Again, we didn't actually do it, because we had hand luggage and wanted to have our bags with us for the transit hotel in doha, but they were quite happy to do it if we had wanted.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:56 am
Suspended

Oh ok it may be easier without luggage.
Anyway I will try in a couple of days to do it from kbv to cdg, let see if it works that way...
Old Dec 4, 2015, 2:15 am

Programs: BA (Gold)
Came back on QR833 on 28/11/15. (BKK-DOH-AMS then LHR with Ba)
Had a connection on seperate ticket with BA from AMS to LHR. No problem checking bags through. Agent just needed to see the ticket numbers for the connecting flight. In the BA lounge at AMS agent couldn't see any record of our baggage on the system however bags were soon off when we landed at LHR.
Went to the Royal Silk lounge on the E concourse at BKK as flight was leaving from gate E8. Big mistake. Crowded, dark and poor F&B offerings. Had a beer and went to the Cathay Lounge. What a contrast. Empty apart from 4 others on the QR flight. Excellent noodles a good bar and comfortable seating.
Onboard PJ's offered by crew in J without asking. No Krug in the bar however. Crew said everyone was asking why it wasn't stocked.

Miles and tier points yet to credit to my BAEC a/c however so may have to submit an online request for them to be credited.

Good flight but next time will head straight for the Cathay lounge although it closes early on some nights.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 3:21 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, BAEC Silver, Thai Silver, Bangkok Air, Krisflyer Blue
So far so good.

Originally Posted by qwest01
We are flying into BKK from HKT on Thai in a weeks time on our return journey to LHR via BKK and DOH.
Due to arrive in BKK at around 20:30 and scheduled to take QR837 at 01:40 to DOH. I am thinking that we will not be able to check in at BKK until 3 hours before at around 10:40. So I will ask Thai at HKT to check our bags thru to LHR and do an online check-in for the QR flights before we depart HKT and have the BPs printed by the hotel business centre. Will Thai be willing to check the bags thru or will we need to collect the bags and go land-side at BKK to wait until 10:40 for the QR check in to open.
We checked in at HKT this afternoon. Thai were happy to tag our bags thru to LHR via BKK and DOH. We were given CIQ stickers for domestic to international transit at BKK and had to pass thru international departures at HKT and thru immigration control here in HKT. Plan to try the Cathy lounge at BKK. I wonder if I will ever see my bags again ?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
>> Miles and tier points yet to credit to my BAEC a/c however so may have to submit an online request for them to be credited.
Looking at my account, longest I've waited is 8 days from flight to credit, so don't give up hope yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.