Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: Baec
Originally Posted by plunet
Personally not. Seems like a very typical low-tech Thai solution to something. But thinking about this, tippex is so last century, I guess someone with a few hours to waste on a flight in economy might be able to upgrade a copy of their mobile boarding pass with an image editor...
I'm pretty sure Suvarnabhumi doesn't do mobile boarding passes so back to the tippex.

To be honest I'm not even sure the person checking the boarding passes actually looked at mine, 20/7 7:30 8pm ish

Virtually zero queue in fast track but then an awful noise behind me and a group I'd noticed outside, gathering behind one of those people with flags who herd tourists around, invaded but took over only one queue.

Wasn't sure what to make of it. Why only one queue?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Daandeluxe
Today I arrived in Bangkok, coming from Doha (8AM flight).
Flying in J doesn’t give you the premium lane voucher anymore, a lady sitting in front of the premium lane is checking the boardingpasses themselves...

When flying business I was able to use the premium lane (it took me 2 minutes to pass customs).
Sorry, I might be a newbie in regards to booking classes. I thought "J" was business class? ...and you say it doesn't allow you premium lane access?..........then you say you were flying business class with premium lane access.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:36 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Originally Posted by thinkingallowed

I'm pretty sure Suvarnabhumi doesn't do mobile boarding passes so back to the tippex.

To be honest I'm not even sure the person checking the boarding passes actually looked at mine, 20/7 7:30 8pm ish

Virtually zero queue in fast track but then an awful noise behind me and a group I'd noticed outside, gathering behind one of those people with flags who herd tourists around, invaded but took over only one queue.

Wasn't sure what to make of it. Why only one queue?

Well the good news is they do have mobile boarding passes. Even Thai uses them now via app, very handy. Not that I am suggesting you edit your pass
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Bravada04
Sorry, I might be a newbie in regards to booking classes. I thought "J" was business class? ...and you say it doesn't allow you premium lane access?..........then you say you were flying business class with premium lane access.
The poster wrote "Flying in J doesn’t give you the premium lane voucher anymore" which is correct. They would still get access but by producing their boarding pass rather than the now obsolete voucher.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards, KLM Flying blue, Qatar Airways Privilege club, GHA Discovery
Originally Posted by Bravada04
Flying in Business doesn’t give you the “voucher” (premium lane card) anymore.
you will still have access but you don’t get a physical card anymore, they just check your BP which states “business” and let you through.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: Baec
Originally Posted by gav0106

Well the good news is they do have mobile boarding passes. Even Thai uses them now via app, very handy. Not that I am suggesting you edit your pass
Cool.
I have in the past been sent to a special immigration officer at BKK for having a mobile boarding pass. Also noticed that QR wouldn't supply with a mobile boarding pass on my last trip for the DOH-BKK leg. I'd done online check-in and boarding pass from ARN and just made it to the gate and I came up as denied boarding until they issued me with a paper pass for Suvarnabhumi. (20/07/19)

Actually I remember trying to use the Thai Smile app with mobile boarding card for a short connection. It all went terribly wrong but I managed to land for a KLM flight, luckily gate D6, see the app refuse to work, do immigration, run up stairs and check in, run down to the basement and change money, all the way back up to do security, find gate and board all in less than 40 minutes.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: QR PC Platinum
Don't know if someone might be able to answer..

Will be arriving in BKK on QR830 at 07:00am on a paid J ticket and travelling on to PNH on PG (separate ticket).

Will I be able to access the QR lounge with with my boarding pass of the arriving flight (QR830)?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:13 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Originally Posted by kl1987
Don't know if someone might be able to answer..

Will be arriving in BKK on QR830 at 07:00am on a paid J ticket and travelling on to PNH on PG (separate ticket).

Will I be able to access the QR lounge with with my boarding pass of the arriving flight (QR830)?

Hello. No access I am afraid buy you get free access to Bangkok Airways lounge if I remember right that PG is code for them
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by gav0106

Hello. No access I am afraid buy you get free access to Bangkok Airways lounge if I remember right that PG is code for them
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, PG is Bangkok Airways. Wanted to take my parents to the QR lounge as they haven't seen it before and they will be flying back from HKT.

Guess the PG Blue Ribbon lounge will have to do 😉
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Wanted to take my parents to the QR lounge as they haven't seen it before and they will be flying back from HKT.
If you get (or can arrange) the opportunity, take them to QR lounges at LHR or CDG. Much nicer, IMO.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
If you get (or can arrange) the opportunity, take them to QR lounges at LHR or CDG. Much nicer, IMO.
Unfortunately we are from SA and flying out of JNB.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Unfortunately we are from SA and flying out of JNB.
Yeah, I saw that. But one never knows what the future holds!
Old Nov 8, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: qr
Data point if arriving in j on QR look for section 2 of the immigration sections to use fast track you must show boarding card to prove you J traveller. Rest of immigration was like a zoo but got through in 5 mins through FT even with finger printing both hands.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
I'm booked on an Airbus 330 either onto or back from Bangkok 19:40 on QR981 on Saturday 18th April 2020. Worth adding this to the wiki? Still wondering how they can stick 2x2x2 in a relatively narrow plane (vs the 777W).

Seemed to miss out on the A380 on both the flights. Boo. Not bothered about qsuites. Want the bar.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: qr
Originally Posted by Smid
I'm booked on an Airbus 330 either onto or back from Bangkok 19:40 on QR981 on Saturday 18th April 2020. Worth adding this to the wiki? Still wondering how they can stick 2x2x2 in a relatively narrow plane (vs the 777W).

Seemed to miss out on the A380 on both the flights. Boo. Not bothered about qsuites. Want the bar.
A380 has been discontinued for some time on BKK route - yes I love the bar too and use my q credits to upgrade to F . Sitting in BKK lounge at moment / quite busy as three flights leaving around an hour and a half time frame . J loads look reasonable but I have also been QR’d as plane switch to a non w suite which I have still yet to try . Flew a330 a few times in the past and the seats are different to 777 pairing seats so that why they fit narrow plane . They ok if you have. A spare seat next to you or travelling in a pair .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.