Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 12:05 am

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Either you have been incredibly lucky or I have been incredibly unlucky but I’m not sure my luggage has ever arrived in 15-20 minutes of landing at BKK! You definitely don’t mean 15-20 minutes of getting to immigration or getting to the belt, do you? I’d say 25 minutes is exceptionally quick and 30-35 minutes is average in my experience. Given I am a quick walker and normally first off the plane I usually have a 10-15 minute wait at the baggage belt minimum.
You're right, might've been more like 25/30 minutes. But waiting at immigration and for luggage should have been max 5 minutes each. Really, BKK has improved a lot over the years.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by quinzinho
But waiting at immigration and for luggage should have been max 5 minutes each.
I fly into BKK at least once/month, and while I have experienced very short, and sometimes even non-existent, lines at Immigration, I've never experienced such short wait times for bag delivery to the belt.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: QR Plat ( Y-Commuter)
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
( I think there used to be a Bangkok specific thread, but I can't find one other than for the lounges .. if there is one please merge )

Arriving in on a Friday evening into BKK on QR832 in business .. it's due in at 1900 .. Is it plausible to try to connect on the last flight to SIN that evening which is at 2110 ( Singapore Airlines) or 2120 ( Jetstar Asia ) ... I believe fast track immigration vouchers will be given out to Business passengers , I'll have luggage so will need to exit and recheck ( travelling LHR-DOH-BKK and first leg is on BA and the connection would be a separate ticket so not even worth asking I don't think on through checking the luggage )

Or if anyone has any other good ideas for how to get to Semarang in Indonesia ( no direct flights from BKK, but there are from SIN or KUL .. but KUL has no late flights at all from BKK - obviously it would have been a better idea to fly not into BKK in the first place, but too late for that ! )
Hola! It should be no problem at all. From concourse G where most QR flights end up you will reach immigration in less then 8 min from the door open up. Immigrationques for J pax is never a pain nor is it,during this time of the year,for y class customers traveling on QR832. At this time of the year this particular flight tend to need all the schedueld flighttime so do not expect early landing.
I do not know who manage the luggagehandlers but i can only give him/her all tumbs up. Luggage is just soooo fast loaded on the belt. And priority tagging works well.
I fly in basicly each 28th day for the last 5 years and mostly on this previous A-380 flight. Came back here last week and i was in Y. Gatearravial 1914 and i managed to clear formalities and buy a ticket to the last departure at 2030 to USM.
Old May 27, 2019, 1:40 am

Programs: BA gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Crisu69
By buying a separate ticket CXN-BKK with Bangkok Air or any other Airline and BKK-PRG with QR.
thanks for the suggestion, but my ticket is already booked, so I have one PNR CNX-BKK-DOH-PRG
Old May 27, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by stijnec
thanks for the suggestion, but my ticket is already booked, so I have one PNR CNX-BKK-DOH-PRG
Then you will have to stay in the transit area in BKK:
Passengers are required to remain in the transfer areas at Suvarnabhumi (BKK) or Phuket (HKT) airports.
https://www.bangkokair.com/through-check-in
Old May 27, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
If no bags, could asking PG @ CNX to check in only up to BKK be an option?
Old May 29, 2019, 12:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Thanks for the further feedback guys .. I think we'll go for it as the alternatives aren't great ( trek over to DMK for an early flight the next morning with a long layover in KL ) and it sounds as though we'd be fairly unlucky not to make the connection .. The Singapore Airlines Minimum check time is just 40 minutes at BKK .. so that gives a 2030 cut off time to check in for the 2110 flight ( vs. 2035 for the 2120 Jetstar flight as they are 45 mins check in limit .. and I'd take SQ over Jetstar clearly as the price is around the same )

Looking to get to Semarang or Yogyakarta and this seems to be the best option , we'll sleep over at the CP in Changi and then take the Air Asia flight late morning to YOG from SIN the next day
Old May 29, 2019, 3:32 am

Hi all, flying to BKK tonight. Anyone else going on QR830?
When I log onto expertflyer to check out the loadings I see only a couple of free seats and a bunch that are blocked.
Perhaps a silly question, but why is this? When I log onto the QR app it shows many of the blocked seats as available.

Thanks and have a good day!
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I fly into BKK at least once/month, and while I have experienced very short, and sometimes even non-existent, lines at Immigration, I've never experienced such short wait times for bag delivery to the belt.
Just arrived at Bangkok, was first person to disembark the plane, there was no queue at fast track immigration, I walked to the luggage carousel, waited literally ONE minute and then the bags came (mine was third on the belt). Really, luggage handling has become very efficient at BKK.
Dr. HFH likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: Some
Just arrived at Bangkok, was first person to disembark the plane, there was no queue at fast track immigration, I walked to the luggage carousel, waited literally ONE minute and then the bags came (mine was third on the belt). Really, luggage handling has become very efficient at BKK.
I think it very much depends which flight you arrive on, as both the time of day and aircraft type will affect how long it takes. I used to fly into BKK on the A380 service (which arrived early evening) and there was always a decent wait. Perhaps they have genuinely speeded things up but I think other aircraft types are better. That being said, my EK flight last week (which was 777) I had a roughly 15 minute wait I think.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: Miles&More SEN; ITA Premium, Asante Gold, IHG Platinum, BAEC Bronze, Accor Silver, Radisson Premier
Complicated QR-SG transit questions in BKK

Hi all. Apologies in advance but this will be a long post with some specific questions due to our specific situation flying into BKK from ARN-DOH on 23 December in J with QR.

We land on QR832 at 17.45. Essentially we don’t want to go landside for reasons I’ll explain in a minute. Ideally we’d like to fly to SIN on either SG or Jetstar after 20.00. We’re also open to anywhere in Vietnam, Laos, Malaysia or Cambodia. We will have checked luggage. Our return ticket from BKK with QR to ARN is 3rd January. We know this is peak passenger traffic time, hence our time-related queries towards the end.

The context - we will be splitting our time between Thailand and one or two of the aforementioned countries, and we want to spend NYE in Chiang Mai. I have a visa exemption, but my wife can only get VOA.

Given this, and the fees associated with re-entry on VOAs we would like to avoid entering Thailand at all on the 23rd and just enter the once on our way to Chiang Mai. I was in DOH yesterday and the QR customer service rep there said no problem to through check our luggage from ARN to whatever final destination as long as it’s a full service carrier (I guess that throws Jetstar out the window), even on separate tickets. He specifically said that SG, Vietnam Air, Malaysia and Thai are no problem for QR to interline with on sep tickets.

Another point, and one which I faced on the trip I took this week with QR and SG, is that I could never seem to get mobile boarding passes and I always had to pass by check in to pick them up. So here come the series of questions:

1. Is there somewhere in the international transit area in BKK to pick up physical boarding passes (we will have checked in online), like the transfer desks in SIN for example?

2. Should I trust the QR customer service rep’s response that they will check bags through (even if SG don’t give us the mobile boarding pass and we have to pick it up in the international transit hall)?

3. In worst case scenario, and we actually do have to go through VOA, immigration and then re-check in (in which case we’d go for 21.10 or 21.20 flights to SIN):
A. Is there also fast track for J passengers for VOA in BKK?
B. Is 3hrs30 mins enough to make the connection with SG or Jetstar?

My final fall back option is that is that we just check in one suitcase in my name, I go through immigration, pick it up and then check in again at the desks landside. But this is dependent on my wife getting her BP from a transfer desk airside.

If this is too much stress we’ll probably just go for the re-entry permit, which is crazy expensive if you are only overnighting in Thailand, but anyway, that’s another story.

If some of these Qs are better answered in a specific BKK forum, let me know and I’ll post the relevant questions there.

Thanks a lot in advance
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:57 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Originally Posted by ChrisBub
Hi all. Apologies in advance but this will be a long post with some specific questions due to our specific situation flying into BKK from ARN-DOH on 23 December in J with QR.

We land on QR832 at 17.45. Essentially we don’t want to go landside for reasons I’ll explain in a minute. Ideally we’d like to fly to SIN on either SG or Jetstar after 20.00. We’re also open to anywhere in Vietnam, Laos, Malaysia or Cambodia. We will have checked luggage. Our return ticket from BKK with QR to ARN is 3rd January. We know this is peak passenger traffic time, hence our time-related queries towards the end.

The context - we will be splitting our time between Thailand and one or two of the aforementioned countries, and we want to spend NYE in Chiang Mai. I have a visa exemption, but my wife can only get VOA.

Given this, and the fees associated with re-entry on VOAs we would like to avoid entering Thailand at all on the 23rd and just enter the once on our way to Chiang Mai. I was in DOH yesterday and the QR customer service rep there said no problem to through check our luggage from ARN to whatever final destination as long as it’s a full service carrier (I guess that throws Jetstar out the window), even on separate tickets. He specifically said that SG, Vietnam Air, Malaysia and Thai are no problem for QR to interline with on sep tickets.

Another point, and one which I faced on the trip I took this week with QR and SG, is that I could never seem to get mobile boarding passes and I always had to pass by check in to pick them up. So here come the series of questions:

1. Is there somewhere in the international transit area in BKK to pick up physical boarding passes (we will have checked in online), like the transfer desks in SIN for example?
Yes there are transfer desks, they are easy to find, located on departure level, ie one level under the shops etc.

2. Should I trust the QR customer service rep’s response that they will check bags through (even if SG don’t give us the mobile boarding pass and we have to pick it up in the international transit hall)?
I know they interline with Bangkok Airlines. Now I would say you best bet is book with Malaysian, a fellow One World airline, making it easier to interline. I would recommend flying to Kuala Lumpur, and then onto Singapore, or KL and maybe somewhere like Langkawi, a beautiful island only 40 minutes from KL, and then you can get flights from there back to Thailand direct.

3. In worst case scenario, and we actually do have to go through VOA, immigration and then re-check in (in which case we’d go for 21.10 or 21.20 flights to SIN):
A. Is there also fast track for J passengers for VOA in BKK?
You will get fast track voucher for the immigration, but you will need to still get the VOA and there is no fast track for this as far as I know.

B. Is 3hrs30 mins enough to make the connection with SG or Jetstar?
Yes. There is also the Miracle Transit hotel airside if you want to stay night and then fly on in morning.

My final fall back option is that is that we just check in one suitcase in my name, I go through immigration, pick it up and then check in again at the desks landside. But this is dependent on my wife getting her BP from a transfer desk airside.
That is a sensible option as a back up.

Hopefully, others can give some more advice.

If this is too much stress we’ll probably just go for the re-entry permit, which is crazy expensive if you are only overnighting in Thailand, but anyway, that’s another story.

I think it is 2000THB, £50? This may still be cheaper than other options

If some of these Qs are better answered in a specific BKK forum, let me know and I’ll post the relevant questions there.

Thanks a lot in advance
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I think it very much depends which flight you arrive on, as both the time of day and aircraft type will affect how long it takes. I used to fly into BKK on the A380 service (which arrived early evening) and there was always a decent wait. Perhaps they have genuinely speeded things up but I think other aircraft types are better. That being said, my EK flight last week (which was 777) I had a roughly 15 minute wait I think.
Yes, I agree. In addition it strongly depends on the overall traffic of the day (in my opinion).
We arrived last Saturday on QR834 (A330-200) and went through immigration within 5min (we had booked a golf cart service due to travelling with a baby), but then we had to wait around 30min for our luggage (Platinum / Gold travelling in business class).
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: BAEC
Echoing the advice above, whilst QR have an interline agreement with SQ, VN, etc, they have a customer facing policy that is on their website to check baggage through onto OneWorld, so Malaysian is your best bet here for a check-through for SE Asia.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Reaaally - Even with the new immigration process?

I got in last week on CX, arrived at the D gates & used the Premium Lanes for APEC card where the line was 5-8 pax deep at all 3 open counters
Used the bathroom after immigration & walked over to the baggage carousel, & my bags were still not out yet.
Waited for another 3-5 min. & it was one of the first 3-5 bags - strangely ahead of someone I knew who was in J class.
I've used BKK airport for many years (5 or so as a status pax) both on *A & OW and I've never once had the bags arrive at the carousel before I did.
It's usually a short wait though, no longer than 5-15 min. but on 2 occasions, I've had the misfortune of really bad weather @ BKK (lightning & thunderstorm) + landing the same time as TG 911 (LHRBKK A380 svc) which both resulted in an hour or more wait for our bags.
Traveller999 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.