Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: qr
Q Suites by chance?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: qr
Was on 832 last night for my q credit upgrade to Fisrt ( another story see other posts ) flight was empty approx 12 in BC 4 in first and economy less than half full. Crew were fab , I was only one in bar area and enjoyed talking to crew and had a few cocktails . Crew said recently loads to BKK were very light said it was seasonal ?

Last edited by tav1989; Oct 13, 2018 at 10:32 pm Reason: Typo
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: QR
Hoping I am able to upgrade to first using qcredits for 833... But so far no reward availability but flight still 2 months away and hopefully not much changes between then and now...
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by tav1989
Was on 832 last night for my q credit upgrade to Fisrt ( another story see other posts ) flight was empty approx 12 in BC 4 in first and economy less than half full. Crew were fab , I was only one in bar area and enjoyed talking to crew and had a few cocktails . Crew said recently loads to BKK were very light said it was seasonal ?
That sounds about right. Rainy season is ending about now. Loads should start to pick up, peaking in January/February.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FB Plat
Hi, can anybody advice me on load on flights DOH-BKK and vice versa? I will have quite frequent trips to BKK and not always in J. Is there any one of the 3 flights that leave DOH after midnight that might be emptier than others so maybe I can grab middle seats for myself. Or is there any particular day less heavy? I am trying to find out any pattern in experflyer, but really appreciate your advice. Thanks!
Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
My QR 833 tonight was scheduled for A380 service but in the last few days changed to B777–200LR. Having trouble changing my seat assignment in the QR app, still showing 11A even though 11A doesn’t exist on 77L, and can’t seem to change to an open seat. Considering the reduced capacity of 77L compared to A380, this would indicate light loads.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: QRPC-Silver & Star-Alliance
The ending of DOH-UTP, after a short attempt at the route, should also help a lttle bit.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Originally Posted by nmsondrej
Hi, can anybody advice me on load on flights DOH-BKK and vice versa? I will have quite frequent trips to BKK and not always in J. Is there any one of the 3 flights that leave DOH after midnight that might be emptier than others so maybe I can grab middle seats for myself. Or is there any particular day less heavy? I am trying to find out any pattern in experflyer, but really appreciate your advice. Thanks!
The reason they have 3 flights is presumably demand and the idea that anyone would be able to accurately predict which may be lighted loaded is somewhat fanciful - just because the one I was lightly load on does not mean it will be tomorrow or that the others were full. Go for the one that is most convenient
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Originally Posted by Richard Bell
The ending of DOH-UTP, after a short attempt at the route, should also help a lttle bit.
I missed that announcement.

I looked into this the flights were quite cheap but the airport at the moment does not have good public transport for onward travel (unless you wait 10 years for the train). This is not the only airport in Thailand that one can end up paying more on the ground than the flight (Trat is another)
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by nmsondrej
QR830 (DOH - BKK) on 27.10,2018 was full in Eco and Business
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: QRPC-Silver & Star-Alliance
Originally Posted by amnicoll
I missed that announcement.

I looked into this the flights were quite cheap but the airport at the moment does not have good public transport for onward travel (unless you wait 10 years for the train). This is not the only airport in Thailand that one can end up paying more on the ground than the flight (Trat is another)
I'm not sure that it was actually announced, but all flights on the booking-engine are now connecting on Bangkok Airways via Phuket, and Utapao has been removed from the destination-map in the Oryx in-flight magazine.

One might have thought it would, as a winter-sun destination, have been retained until after this winter ? But perhaps loads were simply too poor, even for the smaller A319LR used through much of the summer ?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One might have thought it would, as a winter-sun destination, have been retained until after this winter ? But perhaps loads were simply too poor, even for the smaller A319LR used through much of the summer ?
I don't think that Bangkok is panning out for QR as they thought that it would. Weren't they up to 5× daily including one 388 at one point? And now they're at, what, 3× daily with no 388? Sounds to me as though the demand just wasn't there. And to the extent that it's mostly connecting traffic, there's tons of competition from Europe and North America to Bangkok, as we well know.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I don't think that Bangkok is panning out for QR as they thought that it would. Weren't they up to 5× daily including one 388 at one point? And now they're at, what, 3× daily with no 388? Sounds to me as though the demand just wasn't there. And to the extent that it's mostly connecting traffic, there's tons of competition from Europe and North America to Bangkok, as we well know.
Now they fly 7x daily to BKK and they stopped the BKK-HAN which mean all these 7 flights are dedicated to BKK passengers (and/or cargo). I guess they only fly 1 A380 to/from BKK now because they need the other ones for Australian flights and also because it’s not a good plane for cargo and they have a high cargo demand from Thailand to feed Qatar during the blockade.
Richard Bell likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
One might have thought it would, as a winter-sun destination, have been retained until after this winter ?
Only if they'd managed to sell seats through tour operators: but that would probably have diluted yield even further. Loads aren't so important: yield is king.

The mad idea that Pattaya-bound tourists would pay a premium to save 30 minutes on the transfer time from BKK was silly. Utapao is a regional low-cost destination par excellence. I guess it could become a low-cost long-haul alternative to BKK, but that's not Qatar's game: leave that to Norwegian.

The idea was almost as silly as the notion that business travellers would use a service lacking frequency, sacrificing the city delights of Bangkok, simply to land closer to the industrial areas of Rayong. A (successful) analogy might be Lufthansa's Mumbai / Pune services - but there the distances and inconvenience is greater, while Mumbai holds few attractions. And of course Lufthansa maintains a close commercial relationship with home-based companies working in Pune - but even so, the PNQ service has had rocky moments.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Matt4
Now they fly 7x daily to BKK and they stopped the BKK-HAN which mean all these 7 flights are dedicated to BKK passengers (and/or cargo). I guess they only fly 1 A380 to/from BKK now because they need the other ones for Australian flights and also because it’s not a good plane for cargo and they have a high cargo demand from Thailand to feed Qatar during the blockade.
Wow, -- you're right. I don't know where I got the idea that they had cut back. 4×77W, and 1×346, 788 and 388 (on November 8, date picked at random). That's a lot of capacity!!

As an aside, I've always had a soft spot for the 346 as a majestic aircraft. But I hate the 2-2-2 seating on QR. Are they going to retire those or eventually upgrade to QSuite?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.