Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver
​​​​​​
i thought those clothing posts were relevant to QR as they seem to be introducing/enforcing some sort of lounge dress code. This would bother me as I really like leaving my cold country wearing jeans, sweatshirt etc and getting to AM, having a shower and changing into shorts, tshirt and flip flops ready for Bkk.

Caveat being that I hadn't looked at this thread for a while so not sure if there were insults being traded about fashion sense or what nonsense.
dsquared37, Global321 and :D! like this.

Last edited by capin; Jan 16, 2018 at 2:54 pm Reason: added caveat
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:06 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by capin
​​​​​​i thought those clothing posts were relevant to QR as they seem to be introducing/enforcing some sort of lounge dress code. This would bother me as I really like leaving my cold country wearing jeans, sweatshirt etc and getting to AM, having a shower and changing into shorts, tshirt and flip flops ready for Bkk.
Yeah, I usually change on the flight between Thailand and cold country (i.e. Europe or Australia depending on time of year). If not going to a cold country next, I may not even have long trousers or shoes available in Thailand, as they would be in my checked bags/airport storage elsewhere.

If the QR lounge really enforces this dress code then I may have to stick to the CX lounge, where I have spent many hours in shorts and sandals without any hassle.
dsquared37 and capin like this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
So what are peoples best guess for when this lounge will finally open? End Of March?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 11:17 am

13 May
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Before 16 April would suit me, don't want to be the first to have access

Might well be the last time also, August trip booked with TK...
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
I have a trip returning from Bangkok 5th April but I am not that hopeful . Further trips in May and September might be more realistic.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: FB PFL, TK Gold, PC Platinum
Will be there in 2 weeks. Will report back
celtic_warrior and nilsfr69 like this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:41 am

I just asked the check in agent at BKK about the new lounge and she didn't seem to have any real idea. Said not in the next two months.

I resigned myself to the Thai lounge, but came across the JAL Sakura lounge still open by chance on the way (23.30). The lady on reception was delighted to welcome me in until they close in an hour.

(Edit - JAL entry courtesy of oneworld status, Thai from travelling J)

Last edited by Johnnieboy; Jan 28, 2018 at 9:51 am
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
I just asked the check in agent at BKK about the new lounge and she didn't seem to have any real idea. Said not in the next two months.

I resigned myself to the Thai lounge, but came across the JAL Sakura lounge still open by chance on the way (23.30). The lady on reception was delighted to welcome me in until they close in an hour.

(Edit - JAL entry courtesy of oneworld status, Thai from travelling J)
The J ticket would have gotten you into the JAL lounge also, right?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Recently departed 836 in F, but this time from C Gates, so no access to Thai First Lounge, since: " QR only has contract with First Lounge/ Cubicle near E gates"
(C and E are at the exact opposite ends of Suvarnabumi Airport... 10 Minutes brisk walk )
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:01 am

1. Originally Posted by mcgahat
    The J ticket would have gotten you into the JAL lounge also, right?

I don't know is the simple answer, I showed them my membership card and BP and was grateful to stop walking. I'm not sure now you say it which actually got me in... Someone will be along to tell us soon no doubt
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Johnnieboy

I don't know is the simple answer, I showed them my membership card and BP and was grateful to stop walking. I'm not sure now you say it which actually got me in... Someone will be along to tell us soon no doubt
My QR J ticket got me into the BKK JAL lounge just fine when I was traveling back in September, Of course, things do change, but I found the lounge to be much quieter than the TG lounge with good Japanese food offerings and decent alcohol including sparkling wine. Very attentive service, too.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:04 am

QR lounge about to open?

Loyalty Lobby reports that the QR lounge is to open on 8 Feb.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/02/01/...uary-8th-2018/
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:14 am

Good news if true, thanks for that
Old Feb 1, 2018, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by Philodemus
Loyalty Lobby reports that the QR lounge is to open on 8 Feb.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/02/01/...uary-8th-2018/
Flying from BKK on the 9th, so will report back if open!
nilsfr69 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.