Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:16 pm

Programs: Privilege Gold
Originally Posted by tafer2uk
After the disappointment of having my first A380 experience being dashed I'm pleased to say that QR have in part made up for this by changing the MAN-DOH legs of my BKK flight to the 787 from the A330. : ^

I just hope it doesn't change again before we fly, unless of course it's the BKK legs back to the A380.
Yep I've just been informed of my DOH-MAN flight being changed from A330 to 787 on our return from BKK...

Bit disappointed to have lost the A380 to and from BKK on my next trip, but considering the cost of my flights from MAN-BKK came in under £400 I'll suffer the 777 into and out of BKK.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:42 am

Programs: QRPC Silver, BA Silver
All

I think i've spent an hour on this thread now so apologies if i've missed this answer, my eyes have about turned square!

Im flying HKT-BKK (Thai) with a 3h40 connection to QR -DOH-LHR. Im in J with QR, Y with Thai. Also OWE through QR.

I understand from the wiki i can check bags all the way through with Thai to LHR. But would anyone suggest doing that given I've got the time in BKK, to just check HKT-BKK and then repeat process there for BKK-LHR. Thinking this as i doubt Thai will fast track me immigration at HKT (urghh!)but i will get at BKK, or give me lounge access obviously, and i wouldn't get the lounge card at BKK as i wouldn't technically be passing through check in (although I'm guessing the J ticket is enough!). Would Thai issue me my QR J tickets too?

Thanks for all your help regular Thailanders!

Ox
Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:11 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
If you can check your bags through then why would you wish to waste time queuing to enter thailand , queuing to check in and then again queuing to exit just to collect your bags when you could be enjoying the lounge

If you bags can be checked through then you will be issued with your boarding passes as well.

The thing you do not tell us and is crucial is will you be traveling on one ticket HKK-LHR or on two separate tickets on to BKK and one from BKK
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:42 am

amnicoll

Perhaps I should be clearer! If I'm in HKT (Thailand!) and flying to BKK i'm not going to need to queue to 'enter thailand' at any point. I will have to queue at HKT no matter what, and J check-in as Plat at BKK - easy. However if i clear immigration at HKT and transit BKK i will have to stand in a very large queue HKT vs a fast track card at BKK.

Two tickets - 1 Thai and 1 QR.

My q's below are aimed at anyone with any experiences/views on what they did in this scenario whether from HKT or other Thai airport!

Thank you!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:49 am

In similar circumstances I always treat the flight to BKK as domestic and then check in again. You're straight out at BKK, it kills a bit of the 3-4 hour connection time, I often get a drink or bite to eat landside, and I quite like the hustle and bustle in the main areas at BKK. That's just my personal preference though! I like stretching out the time at my destination, whether for work or pleasure.

If the domestic flight was running very late I'd probably check through instead, hasn't happened so far though....
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by theox
amnicoll
I will have to queue at HKT no matter what, and J check-in as Plat at BKK - easy. However if i clear immigration at HKT and transit BKK i will have to stand in a very large queue HKT vs a fast track card at BKK.
The immigration queue at HKT is *sometimes* bad - e.g. if it coincides with a bunch of flights to Russia or China. But the walking distance at BKK is *always* bad...

If you are patient enough to queue at HKT (there's not much else to do at the airport, so why not pass through immigration if you can), it will save you having to walk the length of the terminal at Suvarnabhumi to exit and get to the main check in area and back again - by comparison, the domestic to international transfer point is close to the domestic gates and deposits you close to the TG (QR appointed) lounge

Also, YMMV, but QR sometimes only opens check in at BKK 3 hours before check in

Finally, if there are any delays out of HKT, I would rather the bags were in TG's hands for the transfer at BKK, rather than having to wait to pick up and take upstairs myself
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:24 am

kt74 johnnieboy

Good advice from both - thank you! Great to get your perspectives.

Final Q - if i do check through from HKT, would my bags be priority tagged, and would I be able to go straight to lounge in BKK (even though likely 3+ hrs before flight!)? Thanks for the info gents!

Last edited by theox; Sep 23, 2016 at 7:27 am Reason: formatting
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by theox
Final Q - if i do check through from HKT, would my bags be priority tagged, and would I be able to go straight to lounge in BKK (even though likely 3+ hrs before flight!)? Thanks for the info gents!
I'm not 100% sure if you can check through from TG - it may vary on the agent. There is an interline agreement with QR, but not sure how strict TG is on non-Star Alliance separate ticket baggage handling. I know Thai Smile definitely won't do it, and they operate some of the TG flights to HKT. Doubt you'll get priority tagging, but you can ask

Definitely can use any/all of the BKK lounges any time before the flight. If you check in for your QR flight online, just save the pdf boarding pass to your phone (or print preferably), and you can access any of the TG or CX/JL lounges subject to opening hours
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kt74
Definitely can use any/all of the BKK lounges any time before the flight. If you check in for your QR flight online, just save the pdf boarding pass to your phone (or print preferably), and you can access any of the TG or CX/JL lounges subject to opening hours
Yep - fine for lounge access - I used a self-printed boarding pass to access the CX lounge in BKK when I was last there.

If you particularly want a lounge invite though, just head to the QR transit desk (concourse E if I recall correctly) and they'll print you a TG one there. However, the CX lounge is far better in my opinion anyway, so I would just head straight there.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:48 pm

purple1addict kt74

Spot on - thank you. Unfortunately the CX lounge closes early on the day I'm flying so i'm planning to nip in there quickly before it does, and then head to one of the others!

Thanks again both.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 3:51 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Sorry I misread the start point as Hong Kong and not as a domestic flight

I would certainly eat in the CX lounge the food was great but for my flight it was a good 15-20 minutes from the gate although after eating I went to the Thai lounge nearer my gate as CX had no shower
Old Sep 28, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: Ek Blue, BAEC Bronze, SQ Silver, HH Gold
I'm not sure if it's been posted before but flying out of Bangkok tonight, flight is leaving from e gates, since the cathay lounge is closed I spent a nice hour in the Japan airlines lounge and then went to go to the Thai royal silk lounge in concourse e an hour before boarding.
The receptionist said I could use the orchid lounge opposite and when I queried that as I've been in there before and its not as good as the royal silk lounge she said as I'm one world emerald I can use the 1st class section. She even phoned over to confirm, anyhow it's roped off towards the rear of the reception desk and I've been the only one in here so far, there is table service in here and a menu you can choose from as well as self service food and drinks.
Waitress has confirmed I'm the only passenger whose been in here this evening.
Still not sure if it's a mistake or not but I'm not complaining and I wish I had skipped the jal lounge now altogether

Last edited by ams2174; Sep 28, 2016 at 7:31 am Reason: Misspelt
Old Sep 28, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by ams2174
I'm not sure if it's been posted before but flying out of Bangkok tonight, flight is leaving from e gates, since the cathay lounge is closed I spent a nice hour in the Japan airlines lounge and then went to go to the Thai royal silk lounge in concourse e an hour before boarding.
The receptionist said I could use the orchid lounge opposite and when I queried that as I've been in there before and its not as good as the royal silk lounge she said as I'm one world emerald I can use the 1st class section. She even phoned over to confirm, anyhow it's roped off towards the rear of the reception desk and I've been the only one in here so far, there is table service in here and a menu you can choose from as well as self service food and drinks.
Waitress has confirmed I'm the only passenger whose been in here this evening.
Still not sure if it's a mistake or not but I'm not complaining and I wish I had skipped the jal lounge now altogether
I was flying home from BKK in June. I tried the Cathay lounge and it was closed so I walked down to the JAL lounge, I really liked it - Excellent food.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by purple1addict
Yep - fine for lounge access - I used a self-printed boarding pass to access the CX lounge in BKK when I was last there.
The last time I went to the CX lounge, I used a mobile boarding pass to get in, and then printed the PDF boarding pass from the lounge PC!

And, as mentioned above, the most recent time I was in BKK, the CX lounge was closed, but I enjoyed the food in the JL lounge before going to the TG lounge just before boarding
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:00 pm

Programs: The Embassy
Originally Posted by capin
the JAL lounge, I really liked it - Excellent food.
I have just found the food there to be ... weird. It's mostly 70s era canapes, as is the decor generally. Not showing its age or shabby, just ... a time machine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.