Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
One thing I discovered annoyingly on my last trip is that whilst Intl-Dom connections at BKK on separate tickets are super easy and quick, Dom-Intl proved impossible. Maybe I could have sorted it in advance at Phuket to pass through immigration stuff there, but just going through the normal domestic channel, my only option at BKK was to exit through arrivals entirely, and reclear security then immigration both of which took HOURS with no fast track that I could see (maybe I was directed to the wrong place?)

I had 3h30 for my flight connection and landed ontime but only made it airside just before boarding started for my QR flight! Not a nice experience at all!
Old Jul 28, 2017, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
One thing I discovered annoyingly on my last trip is that whilst Intl-Dom connections at BKK on separate tickets are super easy and quick, Dom-Intl proved impossible. Maybe I could have sorted it in advance at Phuket to pass through immigration stuff there, but just going through the normal domestic channel, my only option at BKK was to exit through arrivals entirely, and reclear security then immigration both of which took HOURS with no fast track that I could see (maybe I was directed to the wrong place?)

I had 3h30 for my flight connection and landed ontime but only made it airside just before boarding started for my QR flight! Not a nice experience at all!
Definitely, a lot quicker to clear customs in HKT, then C.I.Q. at BKK. Quick security check. Probably less than 30 minutes from the time you leave the plane to sitting in the lounge.

At BKK, Fast Track is in the middle of the concourse and 100% the way to go. (Straight to the back of check-in counters.) With status, probably less than 45 minutes to deplane, check-in and FT customs. (Assuming no checked bags to wait for.)
Old Jul 30, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: qr
QR831 in F/Class on 27th July. Check in was painful at F/C check in desk due to printer malfunction ( not airlines fault) but agent was very surly!! Fast track passes issued but although security was fast the queue for exit immigration was out the door with only two agents on duty, so this took best part of 30 mins. once through all good and decided to visit Cathy Lounge which was very peaceful and relaxing although a bit of a trek to our gate. Roll on the QR lounger opening!!
Old Jul 30, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by R2
I bought HEL-DOH-BKK return in J 19 Dec - 4 Jan for €1390 a couple of weeks ago. Might still be available.
Thanks. I picked up VCE-DOH-BKK in J out 22nd December and back on Jan 2nd. 1300 odd euro - delighted.

As an aside - Has the JAL lounge reopened yet?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by capin
As an aside - Has the JAL lounge reopened yet?
Yes it has :-)
Old Jul 30, 2017, 5:43 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
We just checked in and were told that since the onward flight was more than 24 hours out, it wouldn't be possible for them to check the bags through to SIN. I don't buy it, but am not going to get excited about it.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by yosithezet
We just checked in and were told that since the onward flight was more than 24 hours out, it wouldn't be possible for them to check the bags through to SIN. I don't buy it, but am not going to get excited about it.
The 24 hour through checking restriction is pretty standard, not just for QR. In the about baggage wiki thread it says

You can only expect through check in for baggage if your onward journey commences within 24 hours of your arrival at your Qatar destination, and some airports may have restrictions on whether baggage can be stored overnight in the baggage systems for an onward flight the next day.
Realistically this is probably more to do with airport baggage handling systems not having the capacity to be an unlimited baggage storage facility.

Hope needing to recheck your bags doesn't detract from your travel experience.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:27 pm

yosithezet you obviously have a free 96 hour transit visa. Under the rules you may request short checking your luggage in DOH. I believe that there was a rule that baggage must not be in transit for more than 24 hours. This maymay now be enforced with all the recent visa rule changes.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by tav1989
Fast track passes issued but although security was fast the queue for exit immigration was out the door with only two agents on duty, so this took best part of 30 mins.
I've read another report of exit Fast Track being slow recently. The writer headed upstairs to the regular area.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Global321
Definitely, a lot quicker to clear customs in HKT, then C.I.Q. at BKK. Quick security check. Probably less than 30 minutes from the time you leave the plane to sitting in the lounge.

At BKK, Fast Track is in the middle of the concourse and 100% the way to go. (Straight to the back of check-in counters.) With status, probably less than 45 minutes to deplane, check-in and FT customs. (Assuming no checked bags to wait for.)
Thanks! Silly question but can you clear and CIQ if you are on two separate tickets HKT-BKK and then BKK-DOH? I was silly in not preparing the trip better!!
Old Jul 31, 2017, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Thanks! Silly question but can you clear and CIQ if you are on two separate tickets HKT-BKK and then BKK-DOH? I was silly in not preparing the trip better!!
I am guessing you are flying TG and connecting to QR? I am not 100% sure, but maybe. TG does interline bags with Qatar, so I think it is a decent shot to get your BP's. I would call Thai and ask.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:15 am

Programs: Qatar Gold, Asiana Club Diamond, THAI silver
Flew from HKT domestic terminal last week (24JUL2017).
I noticed this information posted at TG ticket office.

So to sum up,

If flying TG out of HKT to BKK then connect to flights with those airlines mentioned, given that you meet MCT, even on separated tickets. You could still ask check-in agent to through your checked-luggage.
All you have to do is proceed to International terminal, recommend to take free shuttle bus provided by the airport, and check in with TG there.

This is under normal circumstances, there maybe exceptions, and it is not the rule or rights of pax.

Flying TG code-shared flights, operated by THAI smile won't qualify.

Flying PG, remember that under any situations, no through checked from HKT. Pax needs to collect bags in BKK.
Attached Images  

Last edited by flyvirgin; Jul 31, 2017 at 5:21 am Reason: Grammar
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by flyvirgin
All you have to do is proceed to International terminal, recommend to take free shuttle bus provided by the airport, and check in with TG there.
Just curious, why should OP go to domestic terminal at all? Just have the car drop off at international terminal at HKT.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: Qatar Gold, Asiana Club Diamond, THAI silver
Just curious, why should OP go to domestic terminal at all? Just have the car drop off at international terminal at HKT.
I flew PG - HKT to Hat Yai that day and happened to see this information. I wasn't flying TG to BKK and connect QR.

I guess there are questions from pax who hold separated tickets and wanted to through-check but arrive at domestic terminal.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:03 am

I am guessing you are flying TG and connecting to QR? I am not 100% sure, but maybe. TG does interline bags with Qatar, so I think it is a decent shot to get your BP's. I would call Thai and ask.
Nope. Was flying PG (but no checked luggage!) Thanks for the info everyone, I'll try to check in at the International terminal next time. The silly thing is that I dropped my friend there before going to domestic for my own flight! I should have really checked and gone there myself! Anyway, thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.