Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR (Qatar) refurbished A330s with horizontal lie-flat business class seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
The reconfigured A332 comes in two versions, one is distinguishable by the 4th row being behind the galley and doesn't use the B/E Diamond seats. The second reconfigured A332 version uses the B/E Diamond seats and is not distinguishable from the seat map. For updated info, refer to the wiki on this thread.
Print Wikipost

QR (Qatar) refurbished A330s with horizontal lie-flat business class seats

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
That A330 also won't have F on it by next summer
I see. I'm looking at the 16.40 afternoon departure from Doha to London, which currently shows as an A330-300. Will it be replaced by an A380 or should I expect to be downgraded? The dates I'm looking at are early-mid July 2016.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I can almost guarentee that there is F availability on the A380 for the dates you are looking for - but QR's website isn't great at present.

Have a look at Expedia or American Express Travel, and you should see the full list of F options.
I'm using BA to search awards and they show nothing in QR F. Is it better to call American Airlines (where I'm using the miles from) to confirm availability in F? Would be nice to fly the A380.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:50 am

I find the F seat on the A330s very comfortable for sleeping, and if you are in the window seats particularly spacious for working due to the massive table and storage areas. I would argue it is not on par with the new F seat on the A380 (which I have seen, but not tried). However, despite being ageing I would probably rate it better than J on the 787 due to its spaciousness.

What is definitely sub-par is the IFE. The screen is very small, and brightness/contrast ratios are poor. Not a good viewing experience.

However, as darthlemsip pointed out this is likely a moot discussion, since it appears that F on the A330s is being phased out.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:04 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by LH4116
I see. I'm looking at the 16.40 afternoon departure from Doha to London, which currently shows as an A330-300. Will it be replaced by an A380 or should I expect to be downgraded? The dates I'm looking at are early-mid July 2016.
In my opinion, it will be switched to either an A332, or another 777. I cannot see QR running 3 A380 flights per day to LHR. If you book F, you may therefore either be downgraded, or advised to switch flights...which may not work with your connection.

Originally Posted by LH4116
I'm using BA to search awards and they show nothing in QR F. Is it better to call American Airlines (where I'm using the miles from) to confirm availability in F? Would be nice to fly the A380.
Ah, sorry - I didn't realise you were booking an Awards ticket.

I would contact AA and see if they can find availability. If not, it is likely that the F award seats have sold. QR rarely sell many revenue seats in F, but over the summer months that can sometimes change.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:14 pm

In my opinion, it will be switched to either an A332, or another 777. I cannot see QR running 3 A380 flights per day to LHR. If you book F, you may therefore either be downgraded, or advised to switch flights...which may not work with your connection.
That's quite a bummer, so they won't offer to re-book me to the A380 in case that happens? In some cases the operating airline agrees to rebook the passenger into a revenue booking class if such events happen.

I will have quite a long connection in Doha, so taking the 7.45am A380 flight does work for my schedule.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
My admittedly-limited experience with QR is that their scheduling of ac many months ahead is quite unreliable. They might have scheduled an A333 with F for next summer without meaning it.

There is at most one A333 with F left. They do not seem to sell F anymore on QR5/6 operated by A333 during this winter season up to 26 March 2016. So, they are using a retrofitted plane. Surprisingly they reinsert an A333 with F at the start of the S16. I would bet that this is just a random phony allocation replicating S15. The only longhaul planes left with F are the A380s and it is extremely unlikely that they will replace the A333 by a third A380.

I recommend that you book the nonstop ARN-DOH and enjoy the excellent J 787 seat. But they might change that ac too in the next six months....

Last edited by brunos; Dec 2, 2015 at 6:22 am
Old Dec 2, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by brunos
My admittedly-limited experience with QR is that their scheduling of ac many months ahead is quite unreliable. They might have scheduled an A333 with F for next summer without meaning it.

There is at most one A333 with F left. They do not seem to sell F anymore on QR5/6 operated by A333 during this winter season up to 26 March 2016. So, they are using a retrofitted plane. Surprisingly they reinsert an A333 with F at the start of the S16. I would bet that this is just a random phony allocation replicating S15. The only longhaul planes left with F are the A380s and it is extremely unlikely that they will replace the A333 by a third A380.

I recommend that you book the nonstop ARN-DOH and enjoy the excellent J 787 seat. But they might change that ac too in the next six months....
You have me worried now- I am booked on QR 5 in April and looks like the a/c will end up without F.

How does QR handle situations like this? Will they protect me on the next available a/c with F or give me an option to choose an alternative flight? Or is it "take the downgrade and fly QR 5 or cancel without penalty and fly with someone else"? I have zero experience with QR on situations like this so any advice is appreciated.

The problem is that it is a revenue booking with 4 pax, so they will struggle to find space if they change a/c close to date of travel. It is a TA booking so I can ask the TA to liase with QR to find an acceptable solution, but again don't know how much clout the TA has with QR. And since it is inbound into EU, I will not have any EC 261 protection in case we are downgraded last minute.

QR5 works the best for us schedulewise, in case QR downgrade us, how do they calculate the fare difference between F and J? At the moment QR5 is wide open all the way to I9 so the fare diff as it stands now is more than GBP 1000 per pax (between first and business saver if I fly J all the way back).
Old Dec 2, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by LonLH
You have me worried now- I am booked on QR 5 in April and looks like the a/c will end up without F.

How does QR handle situations like this? Will they protect me on the next available a/c with F or give me an option to choose an alternative flight? Or is it "take the downgrade and fly QR 5 or cancel without penalty and fly with someone else"? I have zero experience with QR on situations like this so any advice is appreciated.

The problem is that it is a revenue booking with 4 pax, so they will struggle to find space if they change a/c close to date of travel. It is a TA booking so I can ask the TA to liase with QR to find an acceptable solution, but again don't know how much clout the TA has with QR. And since it is inbound into EU, I will not have any EC 261 protection in case we are downgraded last minute.

QR5 works the best for us schedulewise, in case QR downgrade us, how do they calculate the fare difference between F and J? At the moment QR5 is wide open all the way to I9 so the fare diff as it stands now is more than GBP 1000 per pax (between first and business saver if I fly J all the way back).
I had a similar issue with QR earlier on in the year.

My aircraft was changed from an A380 to a 777 - the latter obviously not offering an F cabin.

I contacted QR who advised someone would be in touch with me by email. That happened around 48 hours after my initial call, and I was then telephoned by QR.

They offered me a complete refund (not helpful as I did actually need to be in BKK), a refund for the fare difference (*), or the option to move onto another flight. In the end, I chose the final option.

I did so, because I did not like the sound of the way the fare refund worked. I was advised that, if I wanted that option, I would need to request the refund on the day of travel at the airport. I suggested that perhaps they could just keep the fare difference and offer me a free upgrade voucher (but that wasn't an option).

On the days I travel, I like things to be regular. I didn't fancy having to queue up, and then potential argue my case. I had 4 months before my flight, and so would have been relying on the information still being in the QR system.

As such, I opted for a flight a few hours after mine, and was pleased with the decision I took.

Of course it's up to you how you proceed, but call QR first.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
I had a similar issue with QR earlier on in the year.

My aircraft was changed from an A380 to a 777 - the latter obviously not offering an F cabin.

I contacted QR who advised someone would be in touch with me by email. That happened around 48 hours after my initial call, and I was then telephoned by QR.

They offered me a complete refund (not helpful as I did actually need to be in BKK), a refund for the fare difference (*), or the option to move onto another flight. In the end, I chose the final option.

I did so, because I did not like the sound of the way the fare refund worked. I was advised that, if I wanted that option, I would need to request the refund on the day of travel at the airport. I suggested that perhaps they could just keep the fare difference and offer me a free upgrade voucher (but that wasn't an option).

On the days I travel, I like things to be regular. I didn't fancy having to queue up, and then potential argue my case. I had 4 months before my flight, and so would have been relying on the information still being in the QR system.

As such, I opted for a flight a few hours after mine, and was pleased with the decision I took.

Of course it's up to you how you proceed, but call QR first.
The problem is that at the moment the flight has an F cabin, it is showing F8. My TA also confirms that there is F cabin for sale. So until QR actually switch aircraft this is a hypothetical situation- but a very likely situation from what I read above.
I called QR who say I am ticketed in F and they have no info of equipment change at the moment, will contact me or my TA if it happens.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:42 am

Hi everyone,
Long time lurker, first time poster, sorry if my searching was subpar, but i've got a question:
I've got a similar flight reservation held right now, DOH to LHR on the A330 in F for late June 2016. I'll be booking the flight using AA miles.
Will the F be unavailable because the A330 is probably being retrofitted with the lay-flat J seats, losing the F seats in the process?
There is no alternative F award availability on the day i'm flying (or surrounding days).
In the case that the plane does lose F service, would QR be able to move me my award booking onto another flight's revenue seating? (I'd be okay paying a change fee) If not, who would deal with reimbursing the fare difference, QR or AA?
Thanks!
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by genomic
Hi everyone,
Long time lurker, first time poster, sorry if my searching was subpar, but i've got a question:
I've got a similar flight reservation held right now, DOH to LHR on the A330 in F for late June 2016. I'll be booking the flight using AA miles.
Will the F be unavailable because the A330 is probably being retrofitted with the lay-flat J seats, losing the F seats in the process?
There is no alternative F award availability on the day i'm flying (or surrounding days).
In the case that the plane does lose F service, would QR be able to move me my award booking onto another flight's revenue seating? (I'd be okay paying a change fee) If not, who would deal with reimbursing the fare difference, QR or AA?
Thanks!
Welcome to FT geonomic and specifically to the QR Forum.

Until your flight is officially downgraded, there is little you can do. It may never happen, but you are correct in terms of the sole F-cabin A333 being refurbished, and thus losing the F cabin.

Your options may be slightly limited due to the fact that you are on an Awards ticket opposed to revenue. However, if you have used AA miles, you would probably have to contact AA. In my experience, AA are more accomodating than QR when there is an issue such as this.

In my view, you may want to be proactive and switch to a flight with a J cabin (if there is availability), opposed to waiting to be moved to refurbished J on the A333 (which will be inferior to the A380, 787, and possibly even the 777 although opinion is divided).

Do let us know how you get on, and once again, welcome to Flyertalk!

Safe travels,

M
Old Dec 3, 2015, 11:34 pm

My advice for QR's LHR route in the summer 2016 schedule is:

1. Don't book based on aircraft type as you are setting yourself up for disappointment, book the flight that is convenient to your schedule. Its one of those routes that sees frequent aircraft changes and the aircraft on the schedule are mostly placeholders and will get adjusted closer to the date. If aircraft type are big determinant to your travel choices on QR, and this completely fair considering the inconsistencies in QR's hard product, then consider booking closer to your date of travel or consider moving your business to more consistent competitors like EY.

2. Don't book on the single 3-class A333 in the summer schedule as it is only a placeholder at this stage. Even if for whatever reason it is not refurbished by then it will most likely be placed on other routes that have little premium demand.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 3:06 pm

Thanks for the welcome
I ended up flying:
QR MLE-DOH, 20:20 - 22:55 on Business (U)
QR DOH-AUH 08:25 - 10:30 on First (Z)
EY AUH - LHR 13:50 - 18:20 on First (O)

Given that I'll be in the Doha airport overnight, will I be able to get into Al Safwa lounge, given that i'm transferring from a regional business on one day, to regional first the next day, and they're both award flights?

Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:29 pm

genomic Since you are Departing in F you will have unrestricted access to AL Safwa.

It does not matter how you obtained the ticket just that you are departing in F.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:40 am

I recently flew out of and back into Manchester in J on A330s and experienced both of the new seats. I can't say I was impressed with either to the extent that I have now decided to stop using Qatar from Manchester whilst it is still served by A330s. I really was hoping for something better from the refurb. The seat shown in post #167 is really tight for anyone above a slight build. I am 6'2" and I could not have slept in these seats as a side sleeper. In the window seats it is even tighter and I felt confined around my shoulders. The other seat is an improvement in its predecessor in that it is fully flat but does not address the storage issues that bugged the previous design.

Onward flights were on the 787 which was the best seat and service I have experienced outside of F - but I think I may have been very lucky with the crew who were exceptional.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.