Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR (Qatar) refurbished A330s with horizontal lie-flat business class seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
The reconfigured A332 comes in two versions, one is distinguishable by the 4th row being behind the galley and doesn't use the B/E Diamond seats. The second reconfigured A332 version uses the B/E Diamond seats and is not distinguishable from the seat map. For updated info, refer to the wiki on this thread.
Print Wikipost

QR (Qatar) refurbished A330s with horizontal lie-flat business class seats

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2015, 1:59 am

Programs: LH, US, UA
Originally Posted by N1Rotate
AEN, AEM, AEG, AEF, AEH are reconfigured in both classes too, same layout in business as AEA and AEC but still 275 seats in economy.
True. My mistake.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:26 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, HiltonHon Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, One World Silver, Eurobonus Silver
I flew a 330-200 from Lagos to Doha yesterday. Never seen these J seats before. Similar to the 787 and A380 J seats, but narrower. 2-2-2 configuration, 5 rows as before.
Being 181 high and 70 kg I am not particularly big. I would imagine anyone slightly bigger than me would struggle in these seats. The room where you put your legs while sleeping is extremely narrow (except on first row where there is more space). See photos below.
I am surprised that Qatar has so many different seats. Customers never know what they get. Sure there would also be financial benefits from having one standard rather than the 5 different J-class configurations I have tried so far (there might be even more...).
IMG_2112 by K BB, on Flickr
[IMG]
IMG_2113 by K BB, on Flickr[/IMG]
IMG_2106 by K BB, on Flickr
Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Blimey, that is narrow! Got overnights to/from KUL in that in a few months, bot looking forward to trying to get my 6' 2" frame into that, sepecially my feet!
Old Sep 28, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Subcard
If its the same as the AA A321T J seat then I think its not bad at all. I'm 6ft and slim and found the AA seat very comfy, more so than the BA CW LCY seat.

I'm not travelling on the A346 till March CMB-DOH, would be nice for someone to post a trip report on the new cabin.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Reminds me a little bit of the A319 (all business) seat which I flew in in January

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5HMB1QeRUm...o__highres.jpg

Less comfortable than the 787/A380/A350 & 777 seat for sure...
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by kimbb
I am surprised that Qatar has so many different seats. Customers never know what they get. Sure there would also be financial benefits from having one standard rather than the 5 different J-class configurations I have tried so far (there might be even more...).
The product on the refurbished A330s and A340s is the BE Diamond seat which is the same one as on the full flat A320 and the A319. It is a more customised version of the United's business class and is also on carriers such as Royal Jordanian on their new 787 and Air China on their newer aircraft.

I wish QR's hard product was more consistent. It is worth noting they are streamlining from 5 long haul business class seats to 3.

Current
1. B/E Super Diamond: On 787, A350, A380 (32 aircraft)
2. B/E Diamond: On A319, some A320, some A330, A346. (24 aircraft)
3. B/E Minipod Flat: On 777, some A330 (44 aircraft)

Older
4. B/E Minipod Angled: On few A330 (Gone in a few months)
5. Recaro Angled: On few A330 (Gone in a few months)

Going forward:

- There is a new product that QR already announced will be revealed next year, QR already announced that latter A350s will be delivered with the new product and it will be retrofitted on the 777, I assume the same will be true about the A380.

- The A330/A340 even though refurbished are only staying for roughly 3 more years and will be increasingly relegated to shorter routes of <6 hours as more A350/787/777 are delivered.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by N1Rotate
Current
1. B/E Super Diamond: On 787, A350, A380 (32 aircraft)
2. B/E Diamond: On A319, some A320, some A330, A346. (24 aircraft)
3. B/E Minipod Flat: On 777, some A330 (44 aircraft)

Older
4. B/E Minipod Angled: On few A330 (Gone in a few months)
5. Recaro Angled: On few A330 (Gone in a few months)

Going forward:

- There is a new product that QR already announced will be revealed next year, QR already announced that latter A350s will be delivered with the new product and it will be retrofitted on the 777, I assume the same will be true about the A380.

- The A330/A340 even though refurbished are only staying for roughly 3 more years and will be increasingly relegated to shorter routes of <6 hours as more A350/787/777 are delivered.
Thank you for keeping us informed and up to date. Really appreciate all your efforts. ^
Old Sep 28, 2015, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by GTR56
If its the same as the AA A321T J seat then I think its not bad at all. I'm 6ft and slim and found the AA seat very comfy, more so than the BA CW LCY seat.

I'm not travelling on the A346 till March CMB-DOH, would be nice for someone to post a trip report on the new cabin.
It is indeed the same seat as in the AA A321T J, with more customisation on the privacy divider and the level of finish. It also has a much larger IFE screen.

Dreamtrip,

Anytime ^
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: BAEC:Silver ,IHG:Spire Amb ,QR:Silver,HH:Diamond
I flew DOH-CAI on a refurbished A340-600 yesterday in J QR1301 . It surprised me as was showing as a 777-300 until my outbound trip (I never checked before the return ) . As stated above I also found the setup rather cramped across the shoulders , lack of storage space and small footwell space . As it was only a 3 hour flight it wasn't an issue but if faced with a longhaul flight and a given choice I would choose A380/A350/B787/B777 over the refitted A340 . If choosing this aircraft go for row 1 there is much more footwell space. Then centre seats appear to have more foot space than side aisle seats which in turn have more than window seats . Definitely felt like a lesser hard product than the other aircraft I've flown in J .
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:53 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Just to give QR a little bit of credit for the refurbs, I'm 180cms and around 95kg. I'm broad, and have a bit of a stomach (but fortunately more muscle than fat!).

I flew from HKG-DOH in August on a refurbished A330-200, and actually slept very well. I found it more comfortable than it looks, and although the foot-well is narrow, it does allow for some wiggle room.

Don't be afraid to select the option if it means a shorter connection.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Do they have a timeframe to get the fleet totally changed out?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I had flown the A332 with the B/E Minipod seats, meaning three rows of 6 seats in the first cabin (one in the second cabin). Huge personal space and perfect for a couple. Not as large as on the 777 (wider ac with also 6 seats per row), but fine.

I just flew the most-recent retrofitted A332 with the B/E Diamond (NOT super Diamond) 4 rows of 6 seats in the first cabin. That's the one in the picture above. This is really bad. They managed to cram the same number of seats as with the old angled seats 924 seats in the first cabin). That means that the seats are very narrow as the feet have to go on the side of the seat in front. The cushions are quite narrow and there is no additional space besides the cushions. I sleep on my side with my knees a bit up to avoid back problems. This is just impossible in those seats. You have to lie down straight. I needed pain killers once I boarded the wonderful A380. There (like all reverse herringbone seats, Cirrus, Super Diamond,...), there is is one side were you can gt your knees up.
Food and wines were superb.

Last edited by brunos; Dec 1, 2015 at 3:13 am
Old Dec 1, 2015, 4:34 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
How is First Class on the A330-300?

Hello,

I am looking at flights for next summer, and I've noticed that Qatar Airways is the only airline offering First Class availability on my route. Since my options are either to fly DOH-ARN non-stop in Business on the 787 or DOH-LHR-ARN on the A330 in First, I'm tempted to go for the latter.

How is the hard product in First Class? From what I know it's an older seat, so does it still beat the newer versions of Business Class. Also what service can I expect on the flight. And thirdly do Qatar release First Class seats on the A380 last minute?

Thanks for the help!
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:06 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by LH4116
Hello,

I am looking at flights for next summer, and I've noticed that Qatar Airways is the only airline offering First Class availability on my route. Since my options are either to fly DOH-ARN non-stop in Business on the 787 or DOH-LHR-ARN on the A330 in First, I'm tempted to go for the latter.

How is the hard product in First Class? From what I know it's an older seat, so does it still beat the newer versions of Business Class. Also what service can I expect on the flight. And thirdly do Qatar release First Class seats on the A380 last minute?

Thanks for the help!
I can almost guarentee that there is F availability on the A380 for the dates you are looking for - but QR's website isn't great at present.

Have a look at Expedia or American Express Travel, and you should see the full list of F options.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:02 am

That A330 also won't have F on it by next summer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.