Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

"Oz Fest #2" in SYDNEY - weekend of May 27/29 2005. Let's add to the numbers!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Oz Fest #2" in SYDNEY - weekend of May 27/29 2005. Let's add to the numbers!

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2005, 12:55 am

Programs: QF-LTS & P, SQ-TPPS, IC-RA, HH-D, *wood G, Others
"Definites" are now up to 31, so you will assist no end - might you be available to help? Why not do the Tarmac tour and lunch as well? And then you'll be with the group already.

At this stage count me in for helping with the club visit but unlikely to have the time for the tour (I have done it before - like to see AF Concorde take off - but I am sure this one is spectacular). Besides my son would then want to come (he's 21 and never misses the chance for a free drink, flight or plane spotting) which then poses ingress problems for the lounge.

I'll be back out on the Sunday for CX 110 early morning and would also be happy to "squire" someone into the lounge then.
Old May 3, 2005, 2:19 am
In Memoriam

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by goosegreen
...now the big question. What to wear? What to wear? Alison
when I posed this exact same question to someone on this board who shall remain nameless for fear of reprisal I got the women are weird speech

So I for one hear what you are saying Alison
Old May 3, 2005, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Yikes. Well for the record it was not ME.

No-one has asked me what to wear. And I wouldn't have a clue anyway!

FWIE, the Saturday dinner place is pretty casual place with a young crowd, as of course are the 3 airport thingos.

Glen
Old May 3, 2005, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Listed below (in order of them posting here) are the folks who have indicated a likelihood to attend.

For a detailed outline (and cost) of what we plan to do each day - see initial post on this thread.

-----------------------

Definite and confirmed (= 49)

ozstamps and Lynn - Sydney - (DC/TT/SL/QP/SD/BM - all x 2)
Punki and Hunki - Seattle USA - (DC/TT/SL/QP/SD - all x 2)
serfty * - Melbourne - (DC/TT/SL/QP/SD/BM)
tinkybelle + Mr Tinks - Sydney - (QP x1, SD x 2)
QF WP * - Brisbane - (DC/SL/QP/SD)
Mwenenzi * - Melbourne - (DC/TT/SL/QP/SD/BM)
Lis * - Sydney - (DC/TT/SL/QP)
meloz * - Sydney - (QP)
monitor and Franny - New York - (DC/TT/SL/QP/SD/BM - all x 2)
Leumas * - Wellington NZ - (TT/SL/QP/SD)
Bundy Bear * - Brisbane - (DC/TT/SL/QP/SD/BM)
Dave Noble* - Canberra - (QP/SD)
corbetti and Roo * - Sydney - DC/TT/SL/QP - all x 2)
Kiwi Flyer * - Auckland NZ - (SD)
restlessinRNO - Reno, Nevada, USA - (DC/TT/SL/QP/SD/BM)
TonySCV - Santa Clarita CA, USA - (TT/SL/QP/SD)
techgirl * - Texas USA - (DC/TT/SL/QP)
MSY-MSP * - Minneapolis USA - (DC/TT/SL/QP)
spaceman * - Virginia USA - (DC/TT/SL/QP)
MRSTARALLIANCE - SYD via Waitomo Caves, NZ(!) - (TT/SL/QP/BM)
RichardMEL * - Melbourne - (TT/SL/QP)
adamwebster - Great Britain - (DC/TT/SL/QP/SD)
ozmerish * - Brisbane - (TT/SL/QP)
KathyWdrf - San Francisco - (DC/TT/SL/QP/SD/BM)
kpc * - Sydney - (DC/QP/SD)
luftaom - Sydney - (DC)
Efrem * - Boston USA - (DC/TT/SL/QP/SD)
Craigo * - Canberra - (TT/SL/QP)
Noelene - Melbourne - (TT/SL/QP/SD)
franjelley - Sydney - (TT/SL/QP)
newcx12345 * - Sydney - (TT/SL/QP/SD)
Paul Pang - Sydney - (TT/SL/QP)
RK - Sydney - (TT/SL/QP)
thadocta * - Sydney - (QP)
benoit - Hawaii, USA - (TT/SL/QP/BM)
jrobin * - Waterloo Canada - (DC/TT/SL/QP/SD/BM)
Iain - Canada - (SL/TT/QP/SD)
Karen - Canada - (SL/TT/QP/SD)
goosegreen - Sydney - (SL/TT/QP)
cathaana - Germany - (DC)
capetonian * - Cape Town, South Africa (SL/TT/QP/SD)
Dazer *- Sydney - (DC/SL/TT/QP)
Alysia - Washington DC - (SL/TT/QP/SD/BM)
d00t * - Brisbane - (SL/TT/QP)

Very Definite Maybe

Kurwah *
apirchik (Israel)
infoworks * (Being a Plat has kindly offered to assist with QP ingress Saturday.) ^
Russell Corr (VERY definite!)
lovtofly3
StevePER * - Perth - (SL/TT/QP)
makatikid

VERY Maybe, Maybe - and/or those who have not responded to numerous emails with responses.

Weezy
dan1431
Snoopyo
wahooflyer
d00t
Itsalongwaydown *
QFBoy *
redrat *
perthite
iluv2fly

-------------------------------------

Thank you everyone in 'Definite and confirmed' list above so much for responding so promptly by email to what events you will attend. ^

Now I have some solid numbers I'll make some firm bookings and get firm prices from suppliers. We could certainly use a couple of extra bodies on the Sunday tour to keep the cost down to budget if anyone wants to add themselves to that. We set that up specifically thinking it would interest our overseas visitors, and so far few of them have signed up!

Lynn and I will be travelling in the USA much of May, so hopefully we can wrap 95% of this up before we leave, rather than fly home into a mountain of paying work, to face an OzFest paper mountain instead.

Next to each handle I have added location of member (tell me if I am wrong on this!) and WHAT events they have definitely emailed me they will attend. If anyone wants to CHANGE this, and bring along a friend etc, (everyone is welcome!) or add an event etc to your name, email me direct - ozstamps at bigpond.net.au

Do NOT post it on FT please, or I'll lose track of the fine tunings, and it will bore everyone else to death as well most likely if we got a lot of that. If anything above is WRONG above versus what you emailed me, please advise by email and I'll amend the list above.

A few folks have said they are 99% LIKELY for some specific events but can't quite commit yet - that's fine, and those things have NOT been included in your "confirmed" above - just your DEFINITE choices you gave me.

Code for activities each person has signed up for is as follows:

DC = Friday evening 4 hour Brazilian Samba, Sydney Harbour dinner cruise, with an open bar.
TT = Sydney Airport 'Tarmac Tour" - Saturday right after lunch. Free drop off at Qantas Club door!
SL = Saturday early lunch at Observatory/Esky Bar at Sydney Int. Airport. Pick-up at door for TT
QP = Qantas (Club) Pub - we go to after TT. QF Platinums lead by QF WP will co-ordinate entry.
SD = Saturday evening dinner, Darling Harbour. See more detail in post #1. Inexpensive for Sat!
BM = Blue Mountains and Zig Zag Railway day trip by our private coach, including lunch in the area.

I hate all paperwork, and am quite hopeless at Maths, but as far as I can make it, we have the following numbers so far:

DC = 24, TT = 35, SL = 37, QP = 42, SD = 24, BM = 13.

-------------------------------------

* = QF Platinums.

* - QF Gold, Qantas Club member or OW Emeralds/Sapphire

(Essential to keep track of, for free Qantas Club ingress on Sat. afternoon. Yoo Hoo!)

I have marked the Qantas PLATINUM members thus: * as for OzFest 2004, ably led by QF WP they cleverly talked our large group into the almost deserted Qantas Club for hours of free drinks and nibbles after the Tarmac Tour and Lunch. Each Qantas Platinum can sign in 2 guests each, even if they and guests are NOT flying that day. This is a clearly published, and 100% legit Platinum benefit. We can all have a good social time courtesy Qantas and our obliging Platinum colleagues. Then after a few drinks and friendly mixing, go back to our homes or hotels for a nap before dinner in the city, or catch planes home as several are doing. Stay for 10 mins or stay for hours - your call ENTIRELY.

As QF WP has outlined, a far more controlled "paging" system will be in place this time, and we are sweet. He has kindly offered to co-ordinate this from outside the QP. A little planning and discretion will work far better than 30 folks heading up the escalator in one group as we did last year. As we will all be coming from lunch, that should be far less a riot than the totally fictional "Rod Speed" dozen PA pages, at the SYD Xmas Party, that sent the good matrons into full riot-gear ballistic mode!

A couple of hours here in our own private corner is a great way to pass away the early afternoon. NOTE - the SYD Qantas Club is nearly empty Saturday afternoon, so we are not bothering ANYONE, or any other passengers in the remote "FT Corner", nor occupying premium space, which might have been the case on a weekday.

QF Gold members, and also Qantas Club members - both of whom should have a same-day boarding pass (coff) are able to get QC admission each, with one guest who does NOT need to be flying anywhere. Same deal with One World Emerald or Sapphire members. If you are in ANY part of this group please let me know on thread or by email and I'll add * after your handle.

For those who have added themselves to "DEFINITE" - please let me have the best email address to contact you on. I'll need this keep in touch with times, and prices, and payment details etc.

ozstamps at ozemail.com.au

Glen

----------------------------

Last edited by ozstamps; May 11, 2005 at 8:44 pm
Old May 5, 2005, 6:03 pm

Anyone still want somewhere to stay?

I have a friend with some Hyatt nights left and wants to swap for some spg points.
email me if interested.
Im also staying there.
Old May 6, 2005, 5:55 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
tinkybelle, you've got real mail coming to you from me. Remember our emails and my kind offer of comp Suite Upgrade voucher??
Old May 7, 2005, 3:54 am

Programs: QF Silver, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards, Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by Noelene
when I posed this exact same question to someone on this board who shall remain nameless for fear of reprisal I got the women are weird speech

So I for one hear what you are saying Alison
Thanks Noelene. I think I'll stick with the black pants/top & colour accent. Personally, I would never ask one of the guys what the wear! So I was asking my question to the universe...I never expected Ozstamps or QF WP to tell me!

Alison
Old May 7, 2005, 5:30 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
goosegreen, that's strange because I didn't say anything about what you were going to wear ...I could have sworn that I said:

Finally get to meet goosegreen after she had to pull out at the last moment from the SYD Xmas drinks. Alison, don't worry, we'll be gentle(men)..won't we boys!!
and you replied:

Thanks QF WP...now the big question. What to wear? What to wear? Something that doesn't make my bum look big. Oh yeah, that's right...my bum is big!
but if you want me to

Maybe you should ask Trinny and Suzannah from BBC1's program "What Not To Wear"

Last edited by QF WP; May 7, 2005 at 5:36 am
Old May 7, 2005, 9:55 pm

Programs: QF Silver, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards, Hilton HHonors
Oh you silly billy...it just looked like I was asking you but I wasn't & obviously you knew that as did I. I just grabbed your name from the pile!

How many days to go??
Old May 8, 2005, 2:28 am

Oz the pier 26 bar
is that just the food and then we buy our own drinks?

I have a heap of those entertainment books with the coupons still in them
would they be anygood to U?
Old May 8, 2005, 12:54 pm

Programs: LH, SA, AA

How many days to go??
20? or 19? depending where you are..
Old May 8, 2005, 12:59 pm

Programs: LH, SA, AA
Originally Posted by tinkybelle
Oz the pier 26 bar

That's how I understand it..
Old May 9, 2005, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tinkybelle

Oz the pier 26 bar

Yes Ros as has been clearly outlined on post #1 for over a month!

This is a function menu type deal for 25 persons, with 10 large platters of canapés over 2 hours, and 4kg of cooked prawns, and not valid for Ent Books.

However I asked and one staffer said "No Way" and another said he'd look at accepting a few when we had a firm number.

After out email survey on 10 choices of canapés (all but 1 of 20 wanted that) I can go ask if they will take a few, which was always my plan as posted, and if so, it will reduce cost for all to about what I outlined.

So yes, please mail them to me so they are to hand in advance, to Box 4007, Castlecrag, 2068.

Glen
Old May 9, 2005, 12:39 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Oz - you have email, can you please reply?
Old May 9, 2005, 8:54 pm

Programs: QR Platinum
You can add me as a probable maybe for the tarmac tour, Saturday lunch, and QP. I'll be flying home on Saturday arvo so QP access is not a problem and I'll be able to take in a guest if required.

Cheers,
Steve

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.