Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

"Oz Fest #2" in SYDNEY - weekend of May 27/29 2005. Let's add to the numbers!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Oz Fest #2" in SYDNEY - weekend of May 27/29 2005. Let's add to the numbers!

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2005, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
newcx12345 - I was typing as you posted, but you make a good point.

We had one of those Taxis from It'l last Monday when we got back from USA as I checked a lot of boxes back. It was HUGE inside. And he charged normal rate, so I bet those big cabs are easily got at airport. And we can probably phone ahead and get them from Four Points. ^
Old May 26, 2005, 7:03 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by thadocta
Eeeeek, the b*s word.

Seriously though, every time I have had to get out to YSSY when there has been trackwork, the buses have been free. No ticket checks, and they certainly cannot charge the station access fee, since you will not be accessing the station.

Dave
So do you just hop onto the bus to the airport without a ticket ?

If I'm travelling from St Leonards, would I then just buy a ticket to the city? or perhaps to Mascot Station ?

Last edited by kpc; May 26, 2005 at 7:09 am
Old May 26, 2005, 7:07 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
I'm booked in at FT central (4Points Darling Harbour) and met up with restlessinRNO last night for dinner. We also introduced him to the rugby league and an Entertainment Book meal at Jordon's seafood restaurant at Harbourside, Darling Harbour.

Had seen the train problems on my trip back from North Sydney today and though it might cause some angst - but I agree that multiple pax per taxi would be a great idea. See those interested in the lobby at 10.30am.

Confirm I have 2 Entertainment books - so any FT'er who wants some free cheap vouchers, see me over the weekend. One book finishes on 31 May, so it's open season on any coupons in it.
Old May 26, 2005, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: CX Gold MPO
Originally Posted by ozstamps
newcx12345 - I was typing as you posted, but you make a good point.

We had one of those Taxis from It'l last Monday when we got back from USA as I checked a lot of boxes back. It was HUGE inside. And he charged normal rate, so I bet those big cabs are easily got at airport. And we can probably phone ahead and get them from Four Points. ^
Yep,

But do note that if you call the taxi there is a service charge (I think around 10AUD) You don't get charge if you get the taxi @ a rank or hail it on the street.
Old May 26, 2005, 12:50 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Hmm bus only departs from/goes to Central. So do I get train at Town Hall to Central and then hop on bus to airport? Do I need to allow time to get bus ticket at Central or will the one (train) ticket get me through?
Old May 26, 2005, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That's pretty weird - the link I pasted above is fine, but Gov't does not allow FT to shorten/truncate it!

Oh well ... there are ways around THAT! Use for more info:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?K2215272B

For anyone needing to take trains over the weekend to or from airport.

Buses are there instead, and sounds like they are free? Maybe we should just take cabs from Four Points to Central Station and allow Mister Carr to fund our further movements?

So I too am curious - if one arrives by cab to Centra i.e. to l -

Central Eddy Ave – bus bays 5-7

Anfd wants to go to (as we all do for Sat lunch at Itl'):

International Departure court 5

How do they collect money and how much? Where the Heck is "International Departure court 5"

Likewise going BACK to city, this is a departure point they say to Central:

Domestic 4th St near station entrance

Which I assume has to be near Qantas Club?
Old May 26, 2005, 5:57 pm

Glen, QFWP et al,

I will try to hook up with you at Sheraton 4P's at 10.30am to share a taxi if thats ok?? Much easier than getting a bus for me.

I presume I'll just look out for a group of you in reception??

Cheers,
Russell
Old May 26, 2005, 6:01 pm

Location: Home of the 2001 & 2004 Rugby Super 12 Champions - the Brumbies (Canberra, ACT) and Australia's best ski resort (Thredbo, NSW)
Programs: QF SG (LT PS, 54% LT SG), Priority Club Gold
Why does Sh*ttyRail always schedule trackwork on the lines I want to use when I visit Sydney? I was planning to catch the train into town when I arrive at 0735, do some shopping and then catch a train out for the lunch and tarmac tour. Looks like I'll have to catch the b*s in and given that everyone's meeting to take taxis from the Four Points, I'll come over there at 1030 and join the group.

Glen, you should have an email from me. I replied to your mail yesterday but it looks like you didn't get it, so I sent it again this morning. Let me know if you haven't received it this time and I'll resend from work.
Old May 26, 2005, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Russell Corr - yes that seems to be the go - to do 4 a cab to airport - and if possible hail a couple of those Maxi taxis! You are right a bunch of folks hanging out on the Four Points driveway will be FT'ers I'd bet, at that time of day. Invite to all that is the fastest way to do things I am sure.

I am very easy to recognise - I carry an AK-47 just to make sure no-one else takes our cabs! :

http://www.glenstephens.com/ak-47.jpg

Should only be about $5 a head I'd guess on a non working day.

Craig - got the email thanks - all on target now. ^
Old May 26, 2005, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This is pretty funny.

Someone today suggested I Google 'OzFest' and you get this:

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...LC:en&q=ozfest

There is even a www.OzFest.com site that is for sale!
Old May 26, 2005, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by ozstamps
This is pretty funny.

Someone today suggested I Google 'OzFest' and you get this:

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...LC:en&q=ozfest

There is even a www.OzFest.com site that is for sale!
Glen,

Does that mean you are "The Wizard of Oz"?
Old May 26, 2005, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty

Glen,

Does that get me to have Dinner With THe Munchkins as they say here?

http://www.syracuse.com/entertainmen.../schedule.html
Old May 26, 2005, 7:37 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by serfty
Glen,

With a beard like his, I would have to nominate him for the Lion, but maybe not so cowardly while carrying an AK47 .

Now who do we have nominated for the other rolls: Dorothy, Toto, Tin Man, Scarecrow, WWW, Good Witch of the North, the man behind the curtain pulling the strings etc???

Last edited by NM; May 26, 2005 at 7:54 pm Reason: Typo
Old May 26, 2005, 8:28 pm

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
Have a fabulous weekend everyone, am very sad I won't be able to join you all, stuck in boring old London. Look forward to reading the post event posts/reports/gossip ! H
Old May 27, 2005, 5:21 am

Programs: QF-LTS & P, SQ-TPPS, IC-RA, HH-D, *wood G, Others
On Saturday I am coming out to the airport about 1.30pm to meet up with WP as part of his cooringating the QP event. I am coming across the bridge and can pick anyone up in the city, en route who is not going to TT and would like to save cab, bus fare.

I will also be driving out at some point in the afternoon and happy to transport on the way home. I can fit 4 others into my never seen dirt SUV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.