Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

"Oz Fest #2" in SYDNEY - weekend of May 27/29 2005. Let's add to the numbers!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Oz Fest #2" in SYDNEY - weekend of May 27/29 2005. Let's add to the numbers!

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2005, 10:12 pm

Programs: QR Platinum
A few quick questions on practicalities for Saturday...

Firstly, is it possible to check in (with luggage) for domestic flights at the international terminal? Note that this will be six or seven hours before my flight. Is it even possible to check in that early at domestic?

I'd like to take a camera, but what happens to it when we're on the tarmac tour? The thinking on the YSSY board was that it would be confiscated when going through security, and it may or may not be returned at a later date. I'm not willing to take the risk if this is true.

See you all on Saturday!
Steve
Old May 23, 2005, 10:40 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Good questions, Steve.

Frankly, the main reasons for me to join the TT are to see behind the scene operations, and to take photos. If photos aren't allowed, then it'll be quite disappointing. (I've made the commitment to Glen though, so I'll be there.) However, I'll be arriving that morning, and I'm likely to have a camera with me as part of my luggage. Does that mean I shouldn't even bring a camera at all?

Also, are they banning camera phones too?

Can someone in Sydney kindly clarify the situation please?
Old May 23, 2005, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StevePER
..Firstly, is it possible to check in (with luggage) for domestic flights at the international terminal? Note that this will be six or seven hours before my flight. Is it even possible to check in that early at domestic?..
From Sydney white pages
BAGGAGE SERVICES
Sydney International Airport
Hours of Operation 0700-2100 1300 653 077

Sydney Domestic Airport
Hours of Operation 0700-2100 (02) 9952 9529

Suggest you phone them

Also from the QF web site http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...irport/checkin

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 23, 2005 at 11:10 pm
Old May 23, 2005, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
IMPORTANT NOTE RE CAMERAS ON TARMAC TOUR

As per my post #557 on main thread a day or so back, there is a brand new security crack-down on any cameras entering Airport apron. Long current thread on it here on Sydney airport BB:

http://www.vpmag.com/yssy/viewtopic....r=asc&start=60

Just incredibly bad luck for us with the timing. Tarmac Tours are phoning all booked groups to advise this. Their tour yesterday was the first to be hit - and it was heavy they said. An Airport inspired ban, and not TT of course. They hate it. They have a meeting set with airport brass next week to hopefully tone it down, but that will not assist us this Saturday.

Right now we need to all pass security to enter airside area. You have all been told and told that photo ID must be in your possession, and I have to print a full list of real names for each person for TT driver, as part of the security crack down.

As of my tally 15 minutes ago we have exactly 44 folks "confirmed" for TT and their Bus has a legal max of 44 so we are packed in like sardines right now. Unless someone cancels, no more FT'ers can add to this one. Sorry.

Security check operators have just been memoed by Airport that no cameras are to pass scanners for any reason airside.

HOWEVER mobile phones are at this point 100% kosher TT tells me. Many newer type phones have better cameras in them (up to 3 mega-pixels I hear!) than many year or so old digital cameras! So if you know anyone with a Hot Dog new phone, maybe borrow it for the afternoon.

Tarmac Tour bus has only a small lunch-box type security locked box he can put a couple of cameras in for storage and that is it. And he stressed to me SMALL so I'll take mine, but I gather will not be allowed past security for the TT part of it, or else driver must guarantee it stays locked - I have no idea what the deal is. Anyone else is therefore advised by TT to simply not carry a camera or video camera. Again, I am simply repeating what I was told.

So yes, a shame Airport is reacting to what one imagines is the heavy bad media publicity in recent times, to the hundreds of kilos of cocaine airport staff are alleged to have been smuggling in a highly organised gang, and to those idiots stealing Moose suits from checked bags and parading around the airport surrounds, and even driving equipment wearing them etc. And staffers allegedly stuffing 5 kilos of marijuana into Chappelle Corby's boogie board bag etc. I guess the brass do not want us to photograph by chance anything like any of these things occurring.

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2005/s1366560.htm
Old May 24, 2005, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newcx12345

Thanks. Because of the e-mail problems I had before I am just perinoid about not getting the msg.
If I were you, I'd be perinoid about not getting any lunch, as you STILL have not bothered to reply with what you and your friends want to order, which I have to do tomorrow in advance.

I have sent the original May 8 email to you again at BOTH your email addresses.
Old May 24, 2005, 1:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Unhappy Can't make it.

I am a definite no.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.
Old May 25, 2005, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have never activated PM here. thadocta's email keeps bouncing back.

<[email protected]>: User unknown

Could someone with PM turned on please ask him to contact me please? Thanks.

ozstamps at bigpond.net.au
Old May 25, 2005, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ozstamps
....Could someone with PM turned on please ask him to contact me please?..
Done
Old May 25, 2005, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Merci. ^

Altho I'd like to protest at how downhill this place is going - 20 whole minutes to get a simple request fulfilled ....
Old May 25, 2005, 6:31 am

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Well like all good football lovers around Australia everyone should have been glued to the TV.

and in case you didn't know Queensland won the first state of origin match for 2005 24-20
Old May 25, 2005, 6:09 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by Bundy Bear
Well like all good football lovers around Australia everyone should have been glued to the TV.

and in case you didn't know Queensland won the first state of origin match for 2005 24-20
And of course that now means that over the 25 years of Origin Football, QLD is not one win ahead of NSW, and 1 point ahead in total points scored! How close is that @:-) .

Did you also note that in last night's game, all points except one (Thurston's field goal) were scored at one end of the field? When they tossed for choice in extra time, Buderus took no hesitation in chosing to kick off, and Lockyer took even less time to chose which direction to run - to the end where 39 or 40 points had already been scored.

What a great game, including the NSW fightback in the second half.
Old May 25, 2005, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Bundy Bear

Yah know, some of us here in Oz don't get to watch these live. In Melbourne, It came on as a replay at 10:30PM (both CH9 & FOX1).

I had been browsing FT; switched off at 10:29 so I could watch it. I'm REALLY glad I did not get to view your post before doing so!

BTW, I won't have this problem for III, I will be there !

Last edited by serfty; May 25, 2005 at 7:26 pm
Old May 26, 2005, 1:45 am

Programs: QF Silver, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards, Hilton HHonors
Ack...you guys aren't gonna talk football all weekend, are you?

Alison
Old May 26, 2005, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goosegreen

Ack...you guys aren't gonna talk football all weekend, are you?

Alison
The above isn't Football.

FOOTBALL is what is broadcast live from 7.30pm Saturday, and involves fit athletic chaps in red and white AFL guernseys.

I asked they cancel all that Samba cr*p on the cruise and turn that on instead.
Old May 26, 2005, 2:08 am

getting back ON THREAD TOPIC>

has anyone else got some coupons for dinner friday or I fear we will not have enough . BTW glen I have 2 more people for tomorrow night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.