Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
For access to the Qantas First Lounge at TBIT just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non US (not AAdvantage and not Mileage Plan) oneworld Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. AAdvantage or Mileage Plan Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First Class passengers departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers in First Class on a flight longer than five hours connecting§ to/from an international or domestic short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight and not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  5. *Recent Reports Indicate Access via the following Criteria is being Denied with patrons being sent to the Flagship Lounge in T4*: .First Class passengers^ travelling on a three class transcontinental American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight on a designated route (e.g. between Los Angeles & New York).
* A "North American* Itinerary" for AAdvantage elites is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A "North American* Itinerary" for Alaska Mileage Plan elites is travel to destinations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico (unless they are connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day).

§ Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day. Such Lounge access is based on the class of services of the long haul flight (First or Business) regardless of the class of travel on the short haul flight.

^ Regarding AA EXP in any cabin. This is a "Class of Service" based access, so status should not be relevant. Rules indicate NO ACCESS unless in First on 3 class transcon, but there had been some contradictory experiences about this. Early on EXP based access had sometimes been granted; not so much these days. Presumably this related to confusion about the rules on behalf of the agents.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, YOUR QUESTION MAY BE ANSWERED HEREIN

Lounge access rules

All non-AA and Non-AS Oneworld Emerald members have access to this lounge on any oneworld itinerary regardless of cabin or final destination.

AA EXP have access when traveling to all destinations outside North America and Mexico City. Includes if pax is flying LAX-DFW-LHR because you are flying internationally that day.

No Class of Service access for domestic F without non AA and non AS Emerald status unless on designated (generally 3-class) flights to JFK and MIA.

Passengers on any 3-cabin AA flight to JFK, BOS or MIA in First Class.

Emirates pax do not have access except for Qantas Platinum One. EDIT: Appears to be that Qantas removed that access criteria from their lounge access page so I wouldn't count on this working.

No access if connecting to a non-Oneworld airline or partner.

Separate tickets within oneworld do not matter other than it has to be same day . E.g. QF F to AA Y on the same day.

To walk from T4 to TBIT will take approximately 10 minutes one way so plan accordingly if visiting this lounge.

More detail here: Lounge Access | oneworld.com

Qantas.com Access Rules, with specific carve-out for transcon markets.

Print Wikipost

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2024, 3:29 pm

Hi all, I haven’t been to the QF lounge in LAX before, but have a circa 22 hour layover in LA.

Arrival in J, departure in F the next day, international to international flights.

Both arrival and departure flights using terminal B.

I’m wondering if - with hand baggage only - it’s possible to go to the Lounge upon arrival for an hour or two, then go check into a hotel nearby overnight and then come back to the airport for the departure flight 3 hours beforehand, the following morning. Does anyone know if this is feasible please? TIA.

Last edited by Tofino87; Jan 23, 2024 at 2:29 pm
Old Jan 21, 2024, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Tofino87
Hi all, I haven’t been to the QF lounge in LAX before, but have a circa 22 hour layover in May in LA.

Arrival in Y, departure in F the next day, international to international flights.

Both arrival and departure flights using terminal B.

I’m wondering if - with hand baggage only - it’s possible to go to the Lounge upon arrival for an hour or two, then go check into a hotel nearby overnight and then come back to the airport for the departure flight 3 hours beforehand, the following morning. Does anyone know if this is feasible please? TIA.
Diff things at play here like what airlines and is it on 1 PNR as well as flight times. Although those things actually shouldnt matter but with some gate agents they will. Also, do you have any status b/c then you have the possibility to maybe get access upon arrival.

Of course, as I am typing this I just realized all of that would be moot b/c you would not be able to get back airside at LAX as you will have to clear immigration and then LAX wont let you in the day before your actual flight. Although I recently some blog report where someone said they accessed airside within 24 hours but thats news to me at LAX.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Diff things at play here like what airlines and is it on 1 PNR as well as flight times. Although those things actually shouldnt matter but with some gate agents they will. Also, do you have any status b/c then you have the possibility to maybe get access upon arrival.

Of course, as I am typing this I just realized all of that would be moot b/c you would not be able to get back airside at LAX as you will have to clear immigration and then LAX wont let you in the day before your actual flight. Although I recently some blog report where someone said they accessed airside within 24 hours but thats news to me at LAX.
Hey, thanks for the reply. It’s on the same PNR. No status.

I figured that because it’s a transit of less than 24 hours that I could, technically, remain in the terminal - airside - and catch my next flight without clearing immigration, same as if my connection was only 3 hours for example… but whether it was possible to access the lounge on arrival, then leave the airport by clearing customs after doing so?

I’d aim to go the lounge on arrival and stay from 17:30-19:30, then leave the airport and go to a hotel overnight. Then, come back to the airport for 10:00am the next morning, 3 hours before my flight departure.

I’m not sure what the layout is like, having only been to LAX once before, but have heard of people doing similar things at Doha and I think Sydney (of course they could be a completely different setup ) , many thanks

Last edited by Tofino87; Jan 23, 2024 at 2:28 pm
Old Jan 21, 2024, 10:25 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Hey, thanks for the reply. It’s on the same PNR. Arriving BA, departing JL. No status.

Arrival time something like 17:30, departure at 13;00 the next day.

I figured that because it’s a transit of >24 hours that I could, technically, remain in the terminal - airside - and catch my next flight without clearing immigration, same as if my connection was only 3 hours for example… but whether it was possible to access the lounge on arrival, then leave the airport by clearing customs after doing so?
There is no International Transit at American airports (AFAIK) - certainly not at LAX. You always need to clear Customs/Immigration. As you are HBO you don't have to consider retrieving bags/rechecking but that is always a consideration too.

Since you are under the impression you are remaining airside - which you aren't - then you should ensure you have a valid visa/ETSA too to allow entry to the US.

Regards,

BD
Old Jan 21, 2024, 10:43 pm

Oh wow! I definitely hadn’t realised that about US airports - thank you for clarifying! Guess I’ll be leaving the airport then haha!
Old Jan 21, 2024, 11:40 pm

Oh wow! I definitely hadn’t realised that about US airports - thank you for clarifying! Guess I’ll be leaving the airport then haha!
Yes no US airport allows you to transit with out going through immigration, collecting you bags (if you have them) and then re entering airside. I should have just said that and got rid of my first paragraph to not confuse. But yes you def. wont be able to stay airside.

However, if you really wish to see the QF F lounge the day before you could always try to go back airside. Lines will be beginning to be bad at the international termianl (Bradley) around the time you land but not horrible. On the lower level, where you will be when you come out, all the way to the south end is a usually not busy area to go back airside. Maybe TSA will let you in but the < 24 hours thing you alluded to (I think you put the greater than sign by accident) really isnt a thing at LAX but you can try.

Given you will have access the next day and plan to go a few hours early you should consider just leaving and throwing your stuff down at the hotel. At that time your room will obviously be ready and you can shower & store bags there. I would suggest either Marina Del Ray or Santa Monica for you to go have a nice evening but still be fairly close to the airport.

Btw, that JL fight I think is at 12:30 not 13:00 and they sure do board pretty efficiently so you may want to leave the lounge by 11:45. If you really want some quality time in the lounge I recommend arriving at 9 not 10.
lsquare and Tofino87 like this.

Last edited by happiest_at_40000; Jan 22, 2024 at 1:13 am
Old Jan 22, 2024, 10:38 am

That’s great, thank you for your insight. Always helpful to check with experienced forumers :-)
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 9:09 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Anyone know what time the lounge closes tonight?
Old Jan 22, 2024, 10:26 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
To answer my own
Old Jan 24, 2024, 4:34 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
About 30-45 mins before the last QF operated flight of the day, in my experience.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 3:04 pm

Can someone kindly remind me/send me the link to where those rules were online (OW site maybe or Wiki) that showed at a time FF Transcon allowed access.. Flying to JFK Saturday night and going to try to get in and want to be as prepared as possible. Hoping for a nice agent I can persuade.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Can someone kindly remind me/send me the link to where those rules were online (OW site maybe or Wiki) that showed at a time FF Transcon allowed access.. Flying to JFK Saturday night and going to try to get in and want to be as prepared as possible. Hoping for a nice agent I can persuade.
Are you flying in F?
Old Jan 25, 2024, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Are you flying in F?
Yes in F, the earlier of the 2 red eyes to JFK... But lately most reports are they are not allowing access.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 3:11 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Yes no US airport allows you to transit with out going through immigration, collecting you bags (if you have them) and then re entering airside. I should have just said that and got rid of my first paragraph to not confuse. But yes you def. wont be able to stay airside.
For the sake of clarity there are a select few US airports where it is not necessary to retrieve bags but they will be transited for you on International to International itineraries of certain airlines. From a QF perspective an example is DFW and whilst this page speaks only of QF/AA I've experienced this on BA/QF. You still have to clear immigration and enter landside.

Regards,

BD
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 6:42 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I keep hearing about DFW and MIA where "ITI" international connection baggage is available Checked baggage DFW & MIA “ITI” international to international transit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.