Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
For access to the Qantas First Lounge at TBIT just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non US (not AAdvantage and not Mileage Plan) oneworld Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. AAdvantage or Mileage Plan Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First Class passengers departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers in First Class on a flight longer than five hours connecting§ to/from an international or domestic short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight and not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  5. *Recent Reports Indicate Access via the following Criteria is being Denied with patrons being sent to the Flagship Lounge in T4*: .First Class passengers^ travelling on a three class transcontinental American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight on a designated route (e.g. between Los Angeles & New York).
* A "North American* Itinerary" for AAdvantage elites is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A "North American* Itinerary" for Alaska Mileage Plan elites is travel to destinations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico (unless they are connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day).

§ Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day. Such Lounge access is based on the class of services of the long haul flight (First or Business) regardless of the class of travel on the short haul flight.

^ Regarding AA EXP in any cabin. This is a "Class of Service" based access, so status should not be relevant. Rules indicate NO ACCESS unless in First on 3 class transcon, but there had been some contradictory experiences about this. Early on EXP based access had sometimes been granted; not so much these days. Presumably this related to confusion about the rules on behalf of the agents.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, YOUR QUESTION MAY BE ANSWERED HEREIN

Lounge access rules

All non-AA and Non-AS Oneworld Emerald members have access to this lounge on any oneworld itinerary regardless of cabin or final destination.

AA EXP have access when traveling to all destinations outside North America and Mexico City. Includes if pax is flying LAX-DFW-LHR because you are flying internationally that day.

No Class of Service access for domestic F without non AA and non AS Emerald status unless on designated (generally 3-class) flights to JFK and MIA.

Passengers on any 3-cabin AA flight to JFK, BOS or MIA in First Class.

Emirates pax do not have access except for Qantas Platinum One. EDIT: Appears to be that Qantas removed that access criteria from their lounge access page so I wouldn't count on this working.

No access if connecting to a non-Oneworld airline or partner.

Separate tickets within oneworld do not matter other than it has to be same day . E.g. QF F to AA Y on the same day.

To walk from T4 to TBIT will take approximately 10 minutes one way so plan accordingly if visiting this lounge.

More detail here: Lounge Access | oneworld.com

Qantas.com Access Rules, with specific carve-out for transcon markets.

Print Wikipost

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Old Jan 17, 2024, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver
Originally Posted by bradfrancini
Enjoyed the taco they added to the menu.
Looks good. How was the tortilla itself? Just typical store bought tortilla? That carpet gives me a headache if I stare at it too long, even in a picture apparently.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 6:50 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
That carpet gives me a headache if I stare at it too long, even in a picture apparently.
I think it's just the fuzziness in the photo. Actual isn't that bad.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Maybe but have you ever had a few drinks and starred at that carpet.... It will play tricks on you
choosethedrew likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Right now they only stay open "late" for the twice weekly LAX-MEL QF94 departure. The only other later OW International flights are AA LAX-HND and CX LAX-HKG, which they don't stay open for. This will all change as different DST schedules take effect pushing LAX-SYD later again.

I'm still confused. So is the lounge closing roughly at around 9 PM now due to Australian DST?

The last time I was at QF F, I was still there as late as 10:30 PM for my AA LAX-HND flight.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm still confused. So is the lounge closing roughly at around 9 PM now due to Australian DST?

The last time I was at QF F, I was still there as late as 10:30 PM for my AA LAX-HND flight.
Ya but that was a couple months ago if I recall and the US had not changed the clocks back and also AUS hadnt moved them ahead. We got from 17 hours behind to now 19 hours behind and QF times that to land accordingly at around the same time I guess. It usually will land at 6am ish or 7am ish.

At any rate, on select nights when the MEL flight leaves late it sounds like its open late but closing earlier on the other nights.

I dont have enough of a sample size in the winter season to really know exactly the times and which nights.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Ya but that was a couple months ago if I recall and the US had not changed the clocks back and also AUS hadnt moved them ahead. We got from 17 hours behind to now 19 hours behind and QF times that to land accordingly at around the same time I guess. It usually will land at 6am ish or 7am ish.

At any rate, on select nights when the MEL flight leaves late it sounds like its open late but closing earlier on the other nights.

I dont have enough of a sample size in the winter season to really know exactly the times and which nights.
Gotcha. I'm assuming QF F won't typically close late until US DST starts in March?

At least AA F isn't a bad place to be. The food is actually decent. The WiFi is slow though. I just prefer QF.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 2:02 am

Gotcha. I'm assuming QF F won't typically close late until US DST starts in March?

At least AA F isn't a bad place to be. The food is actually decent. The WiFi is slow though. I just prefer QF.
Boring drab lounge to me the FL is, small as well. Gets hot in the summer. However, with the new shower faulet set redo the showers are now hot. No clue if they changed the temp to make it hotter or it really is just from the new set up. Its now a level hotter than the QF F showers, which themselves werent bad (like MIA & DFW FL which are horrible and cant get hot).

Time change is first Sunday AM in March and then I believe shortly after that AU changes as well which then makes it go from 18 which its at briefly to 19 hours.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by happiest_at_40000; Jan 18, 2024 at 9:09 pm
Old Jan 18, 2024, 1:00 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP

Other than the two nights each week that QF94 operates, the latest QF departure is at 9:20PM, hence the earlier 9PM closing time. When QF94 is operating (currently Thu/Sat) the lounge is open until 10PM. Of course this will all change during the next DST adjustment.

In some ways we are lucky the lounge is even open for the morning JL/CX flights, I guess the revenue makes sense to them even though it's generally pretty empty in the morning and early afternoon.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 1:16 pm

Other than the two nights each week that QF94 operates, the latest QF departure is at 9:20PM, hence the earlier 9PM closing time. When QF94 is operating (currently Thu/Sat) the lounge is open until 10PM. Of course this will all change during the next DST adjustment.

In some ways we are lucky the lounge is even open for the morning JL/CX flights, I guess the revenue makes sense to them even though it's generally pretty empty in the morning and early afternoon.
Likely open in the morning more for QF arriving pax w onward connections. Although who knows b/c they do like to send pax to FL when on arrival. But yes it’s nice that lounge in the morning and early afternoon, much more tranquil.

Last edited by happiest_at_40000; Jan 18, 2024 at 9:10 pm
Old Jan 18, 2024, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
That is not a fuzzy photo. The carpet is acutally designed to be fuzzy and me too - gives me a headache looking at it. (I don't drink)
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been to QF F twice in the morning and I agree, it's very quiet, especially at around 7 AM. However, I find the breakfast menu to be very underwhelming. I don't know if anything has changed since September 2023. For breakfast, I definitely prefer AA F.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 11:15 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I've been to QF F twice in the morning and I agree, it's very quiet, especially at around 7 AM. However, I find the breakfast menu to be very underwhelming. I don't know if anything has changed since September 2023. For breakfast, I definitely prefer AA F.
I've been there in the morning - also at a quiet time. The kitchen had no problem with me requesting a "non menu" combination - e.g. smashed avo on toast with bacon.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by og
I've been there in the morning - also at a quiet time. The kitchen had no problem with me requesting a "non menu" combination - e.g. smashed avo on toast with bacon.
Someone mentioned this last year, but it still doesn't change the fact that the menu feels underwhelming. Their lunch/dinner menu is superior to breakfast in a lot of ways. Have you been to AA F yet? I honestly feel like their breakfast spread caters more to my tastes. Yes, QF F is very quiet in the morning, but it's not like AA F is a zoo in the morning either.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 1:32 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I'm doing breakfast at QF over AA in most cases. I have an issue with overcooked scrambled eggs that end up on buffets. QF cooks to order and your specification.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 2:35 pm

I'm doing breakfast at QF over AA in most cases. I have an issue with overcooked scrambled eggs that end up on buffets. QF cooks to order and your specification.
I'm only doing eggs when they are in front of me within a minute of being cooked so thats an item thats a huge no for me on a buffet. Dont really like buffets at all but certanly QF F for eggs over FL.

I had them do a scramble loosley scrambled with goat cheese, tomato & spinach and they did a fairly decent job tbh. Nothing will compare to AF LP eggs, its as if you were in Paris proper having eggs. Best lounge eggs you could ever ask for, better than any eggs in the US. Good quality heavy cream, cold pan, herbs on top, loosley done with out even having to ask for it.
Koru Flyer and lsquare like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.