Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
For access to the Qantas First Lounge at TBIT just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non US (not AAdvantage and not Mileage Plan) oneworld Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. AAdvantage or Mileage Plan Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First Class passengers departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers in First Class on a flight longer than five hours connecting§ to/from an international or domestic short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight and not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  5. *Recent Reports Indicate Access via the following Criteria is being Denied with patrons being sent to the Flagship Lounge in T4*: .First Class passengers^ travelling on a three class transcontinental American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight on a designated route (e.g. between Los Angeles & New York).
* A "North American* Itinerary" for AAdvantage elites is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A "North American* Itinerary" for Alaska Mileage Plan elites is travel to destinations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico (unless they are connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day).

§ Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day. Such Lounge access is based on the class of services of the long haul flight (First or Business) regardless of the class of travel on the short haul flight.

^ Regarding AA EXP in any cabin. This is a "Class of Service" based access, so status should not be relevant. Rules indicate NO ACCESS unless in First on 3 class transcon, but there had been some contradictory experiences about this. Early on EXP based access had sometimes been granted; not so much these days. Presumably this related to confusion about the rules on behalf of the agents.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, YOUR QUESTION MAY BE ANSWERED HEREIN

Lounge access rules

All non-AA and Non-AS Oneworld Emerald members have access to this lounge on any oneworld itinerary regardless of cabin or final destination.

AA EXP have access when traveling to all destinations outside North America and Mexico City. Includes if pax is flying LAX-DFW-LHR because you are flying internationally that day.

No Class of Service access for domestic F without non AA and non AS Emerald status unless on designated (generally 3-class) flights to JFK and MIA.

Passengers on any 3-cabin AA flight to JFK, BOS or MIA in First Class.

Emirates pax do not have access except for Qantas Platinum One. EDIT: Appears to be that Qantas removed that access criteria from their lounge access page so I wouldn't count on this working.

No access if connecting to a non-Oneworld airline or partner.

Separate tickets within oneworld do not matter other than it has to be same day . E.g. QF F to AA Y on the same day.

To walk from T4 to TBIT will take approximately 10 minutes one way so plan accordingly if visiting this lounge.

More detail here: Lounge Access | oneworld.com

Qantas.com Access Rules, with specific carve-out for transcon markets.

Print Wikipost

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Travel Today
... But, the SFO flights are operated by Skywest as American Eagle (ticketed by American). Please tell me if I will still have access to Qantas FCL. ...
Welcome to FlyerTalk

You will be fine. "Skywest as American Eagle" is essentially an AA flight and hence "oneworld marketed and Operated". You will have access as per rule 1 of the Wiki.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 10:19 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Tried to access this evening the LAX QF's first lounge when flying LAX-JFK in J on AA. I am BAEC Gold (so OWE). We got there at 8.30pm for a 11pm flight but we got denied entry and redirected to their business lounge or the AA flagship lounge (obviously we opted for the QF business). Looks like they are closing earlier in winter, and secondly that "the kitchen ran out of gas". I was thinking that maybe they decided to restrict again the amount of OWE flying domestic AA again, but looking at the number of international oneworld flights departing past 9pm from LAX, there were not that many so maybe the excuse was genuine. Anyway, just to warn anybody flying out of LAX past 8.30pm and wanting to visit that lounge.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by palmanfr
........, but looking at the number of international oneworld flights departing past 9pm from LAX, there were not that many so maybe the excuse was genuine. Anyway, just to warn anybody flying out of LAX past 8.30pm and wanting to visit that lounge.
Its a QF owned-operated lounge. Not a Oneworld owned-operated lounge.
How many QF and QR flights departing after 9:00pm?
https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=LAX

The QF ~ International business lounge has a different list of airlines.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 12, 2024 at 10:35 pm
Old Jan 13, 2024, 12:24 am

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver
Tried to access this evening the LAX QF's first lounge when flying LAX-JFK in J on AA. I am BAEC Gold (so OWE). We got there at 8.30pm for a 11pm flight but we got denied entry and redirected to their business lounge or the AA flagship lounge (obviously we opted for the QF business). Looks like they are closing earlier in winter, and secondly that "the kitchen ran out of gas". I was thinking that maybe they decided to restrict again the amount of OWE flying domestic AA again, but looking at the number of international oneworld flights departing past 9pm from LAX, there were not that many so maybe the excuse was genuine. Anyway, just to warn anybody flying out of LAX past 8.30pm and wanting to visit that lounge.
Maybe something up wtih the kitchen yes or incompetent agent not realizing you had access but also I believe QF 12 has been leaving earlier. I could be wrong but thought i saw on some days it left at 830 instead of the usual 1030 in this season.

Definitely strange though. I usually have seen last call for food around 930 ish & have showered late there maybe 10/1015.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Maybe something up wtih the kitchen yes or incompetent agent not realizing you had access but also I believe QF 12 has been leaving earlier. I could be wrong but thought i saw on some days it left at 830 instead of the usual 1030 in this season.

Definitely strange though. I usually have seen last call for food around 930 ish & have showered late there maybe 10/1015.
Would expect QF12 to vary with Au eastern daylight saving and the SYD curfew 23:00-06:00. Today QF12 LAX SYD is timed at 20:25 - 06:35(+2)
Old Jan 13, 2024, 12:43 am

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Would expect QF12 to vary with Au eastern daylight saving and the SYD curfew 23:00-06:00. Today QF12 LAX SYD is timed at 20:25 - 06:35(+2)
Yes I thought I had seen its been leaving at that time. So I imagine MEL leaving earlier also and thus no reason for the QF lounge to stay open past their own flights.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Unfortunately, it is peak season for all those Aussies with thir families heading back to Oz after their Christmas/New Year holidays and the lounge is likely packed.

So they are doing all they can to alleviate overcrowding. I feel for the frontline staff who seem to be forced to lie to eligible passengers.

There are reports of similar happening in SYD this week.

I am not trying to justify it and believe what they are doing is wrong, but it is what it is.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by serfty; Jan 13, 2024 at 2:31 am
Old Jan 13, 2024, 5:02 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by serfty
I feel for the frontline staff who seem to be forced to lie to eligible passengers.
(Lying in the front line) So it's not particularly a devious Cantonese thing Long Haul Upgrade - Honeymooners

Nor a pommy thing BA Lounge and Concorde Dining at IAD
Old Jan 13, 2024, 10:05 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by serfty
Unfortunately, it is peak season for all those Aussies with thir families heading back to Oz after their Christmas/New Year holidays and the lounge is likely packed.

So they are doing all they can to alleviate overcrowding. I feel for the frontline staff who seem to be forced to lie to eligible passengers.

There are reports of similar happening in SYD this week.

I am not trying to justify it and believe what they are doing is wrong, but it is what it is.
The lounge was definitely not crowded, and we had access to it 3 weeks ago (although it was 11am) on a LAX-SFO ticket in J. So I tend to believe more and more that they were closing earlier (the gas issues in the kitchen story, I don't know... Sounds weird as the business lounge next door had hot food available. By 10pm when we exited the business lounge we saw the F lounge empty and cleaning staff working in there.

Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Yes I thought I had seen its been leaving at that time. So I imagine MEL leaving earlier also and thus no reason for the QF lounge to stay open past their own flights.
You are correct, the last QF flight As leaving at 21:20. I now recall the front desk agent telling me that in the winter season they are open later only two days a week, but cannot recall which days.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Its a QF owned-operated lounge. Not a Oneworld owned-operated lounge.
How many QF and QR flights departing after 9:00pm?
https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=LAX

The QF ~ International business lounge has a different list of airlines.
Sorry to partly disagree. They represent all oneworld airlines in TBIT. BA and most likely CX and JL also operate flights with first class, not mentioning any emerald members flights on those airlines.

But my initial message was mostly to inform any upcoming passengers flying like us past 8.30pm that the access to the F lounge would not be possible on most of the days.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 8:24 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
I was there from 5pm to 8pm 13th Jan, not crowed, however, quite busy.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
The lounge was definitely not crowded, and we had access to it 3 weeks ago (although it was 11am) on a LAX-SFO ticket in J. So I tend to believe more and more that they were closing earlier (the gas issues in the kitchen story, I don't know... Sounds weird as the business lounge next door had hot food available. By 10pm when we exited the business lounge we saw the F lounge empty and cleaning staff working in there.

You are correct, the last QF flight As leaving at 21:20. I now recall the front desk agent telling me that in the winter season they are open later only two days a week, but cannot recall which days.

Sorry to partly disagree. They represent all oneworld airlines in TBIT. BA and most likely CX and JL also operate flights with first class, not mentioning any emerald members flights on those airlines.

But my initial message was mostly to inform any upcoming passengers flying like us past 8.30pm that the access to the F lounge would not be possible on most of the days.
Sucks if the lounge is closing earlier now. I recalled ordering food at around the new closing time as recent as a few months ago.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 10:39 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Right now they only stay open "late" for the twice weekly LAX-MEL QF94 departure. The only other later OW International flights are AA LAX-HND and CX LAX-HKG, which they don't stay open for. This will all change as different DST schedules take effect pushing LAX-SYD later again.

palmanfr likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
I'm not sure about this being "obvious".IMHO, the F&B, and views are better far better at the AA Flaghship lounge..
Old Jan 17, 2024, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I'm not sure about this being "obvious".IMHO, the F&B, and views are better far better at the AA Flaghship lounge..
Agree. QF F > AA F > OW J > AA AC

and walking distance is an important parameter.

IMHO
Old Jan 17, 2024, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Enjoyed the taco they added to the menu.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.