Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas International & Domestic grounded

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas International & Domestic grounded

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Whew.... from PHX ....
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:22 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by moa999
bill shorten claiming this was what the govt wanted all along.

why did they not use the powers to issue the order themselves and stop the shutdown alltogether.
How about this rant by Jeff Lawrence?
QF failed when they just got what they wanted - a termination?
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:26 am

Programs: QF, SQ, GA
Originally Posted by thewinchester
Fair Work Australia ruling

The Justices of the Fair Work Australia tribunal have delivered their verdict, and they have ruled that the industrial action is TERMINATED effective NOW.

QF did state via Twitter that there will be no flights until at least Monday afternoon, and this decision means that this is likely to stay current.

The court is issuing a written decision, as the Justices believe the dispute is likely to be escalated through higher court.

More information soon.
Glad to hear about the termination given my upcoming travel plans!

But I'm curious how long it would take to escalate this to a higher court? I have no idea about such things given that I'm not a lawyer, but I've got bookings for next weekend and wonder whether I should still be considering making alternative arrangements? Is it likely to get a hearing before then? Or is this more realistically months down the road?
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:39 am

Glad it's all over - now I can get some rest!

On a sidenote, QF website is down - any bets on when flights will resume?
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Very exciting and illuminating to watch this from the States on the live ABC News feed which we normally cannot access from up here.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:10 am

Programs: Skywards Gold & Others
Common sense has prevailed and it looks like i might get to fly international with QF on Thursday after all......i guess depending on how long it takes to get the back log sorted.

Notwithstanding, if my flight doesn't go ahead on schedule, it will have all been worth it in my opinion. A monumental decision and we may all look back at it one day and reflect upon this moment as the day workplace relations changed forever, for better or for worse!

The unions have been responsible for many of the benefits Australian workers come to take for granted today, however, when their demands become untenable and would ultimately lead to the demise of a business and when they endeavour to dictate how a company should operate their business, it's time to clip their wings, and i believe they just had their wings removed!

I wish Qantas well moving forward and hope the stranded travellers find a way to their destinations sooner rather than later.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:12 am
Suspended

A good outcome so far. The grounding worked for AJ this time.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:14 am

Programs: VS Gold, QPPS, CX, DJ, SG, AA, NH
The information for affected passengers post has been updated to reflect all the new information.

I'm continuing to keep that as up to date as possible as new information comes to hand.

On that note, after what has been a crazy 34 hours in Australia's aviation history - I am going to bed. Good night.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by thewinchester
The information for affected passengers post has been updated to reflect all the new information.

I'm continuing to keep that as up to date as possible as new information comes to hand.

On that note, after what has been a crazy 34 hours in Australia's aviation history - I am going to bed. Good night.
That's what got us into this debacle in the first place - this sense of entitlement that Australian workers have. What makes you think you are entitled to sleep? Get back to your computer terminal!
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by drsmithy
I am currently in the process of writing a letter to QANTAS stating that even though I don't support the recent actions of the Unions, or their claims, the grounding was a ridiculously over-the-top reaction showing nothing but contempt for its customers and employees.
You may have to take a number. It should be a very long queue.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:57 am

Management all the way...Go Qantas. I will send them a letter congratulating them on their stance. About time mf's.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 12:10 pm

It may have been over the top but Joyce had not choice and it worked - unions have so many legal protections, they can strike all they want in hundreds of ways, but the airline can only respond in one way. He had to take drastic action - if he could have taken a softer approach to make the same point, he would have.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
Too late for me. My flight was on Sunday LAX-SYD. Bye bye to my Western Australia visit. It will be interesting to see how long they take to get website and GDS updated.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 1:23 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
The industrial action may still continue, in spite of Fair Work Australia's ruling.

One part of the action was overtime bans, and this may continue, albeit unofficially without official union sanction.

You cannot force staff to work outside their rostered hours, therefore you cannot force staff to work overtime.

(You'd be mad to refuse overtime, due to the penalty rates attached to the extra hours, but that is another issue).

Apart from tech and cabin crew though, I am not sure if there are mandated maximum shift lengths, so QF may be able to get around it by increasing the rostered hours, but if they don't, all the engineering staff have to do is refuse overtime.

Dave
Old Oct 30, 2011, 1:24 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
JQ now returns to the airline of last choice instead of everyones favourite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.