Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas International & Domestic grounded

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas International & Domestic grounded

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Exclamation Qantas International & Domestic grounded

Joyce giving press conference now...

Unions to be locked out.

Jetstar not affected.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:21 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

This is what QF have wanted all along. The nuclear option.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:22 am

Programs: VS Gold, QPPS, CX, DJ, SG, AA, NH
This thread is strictlyto provide a quick overview of the current situation for affected passengers. This thread will be updated as new information comes to hand.

If you wish to discuss the grounding, please do so in this dedicated thread.
-----------------------------------
This information is current as at 30 OCT 2011 0256hrs AEDST/1556hrs GMT

As Qantas is preparing to resume operations, please review any information presented here carefully.

This page does not constitute official advice, and links are available at the bottom of the page for verifying information, as well as contacts for enquiries and assistance.

Summary

QF mainline operations globally were grounded effective on 29 OCT 2011 at 1700hrs AEDST/0900hrs GMT as the result of Qantas taking protected industrial action.

As a result of industrial arbitration before Fair Work Australia, all protected industrial action has been terminated.

Based on this, and tweets earlier today from Qantas Airways, it is likely that the carrier will resume flying on 31 OCT 2011 from 1200hrs AEDST/2200hrs GMT.

Recommencement of operations is still dependent on the go-ahead from relevant airline regulators.

Carriers not affected

This grounding specifically excludes:

Jetstar (JQ)
Services operated for Qantas by either;
QantasLink (Flt numbers QF1400 to QF2699) or
JetConnect (Trans-tasman services)

Stranded?

Information on what to do is below.

Recovery fares

A number of airlines are offering recovery fares to pax affected by the grounding.

These airlines include (links to web information included where known);

Air Asia
Virgin Australia
Etihad

Rebooking, refunds and reimbursements

Qantas is offering rebooking onto other airlines (to alternate QF flights, or carriers with an interline e-ticket agreement with Qantas), refunds and/or reimbursements.

Full information, terms and conditions, and the online refund claim form can be found at:
http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...g-your-booking

What to do?

Only passengers flying in the next 24hrs are asked to contact the airline by telephone.

Passengers should not proceed to the airport unless specifically advised to do so by airline staff or official information channels.

Passengers currently not in their home port will be provided all the usual support, assistance and accommodation where necessary.

Staying up to date

Updates and information are available from this thread, as well as:

Twitter: @qantasairways
Facebook: facebook.com/qantas
Online: qantas.com - disruptions and travel alerts
Telephone: Global Reservations and Customer Service contact numbers

Last edited by thewinchester; Oct 30, 2011 at 10:10 am Reason: Major updates and links
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:26 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, HH Blue, SPG PLatinum
Post Joyce playing politics

Even though this might be short term disruption for pax, imagine the calls to politicians re stranded pax let alone the stranded politicians etc. I can't wait for the transport ministers press conference, this is just bring it to a head and frighten the unions, bring on the fight!!! Lucky I am not flying.

Great timing, - after the AGM, and a few hours after the Queen cleared Australian air space
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:30 am

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
Wow.. I'm glad I don't have any travel booked this week.

So.. is anyone thinking of cashing out their QFF points?

I ask half in jest, but also as a former Ansett Rewards member.....

Hope for a resolution soon.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:36 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Thumbs down

This will force Government invention and likely the begining of the end of AJ.
There wil be a resolution but QF brand has now been severely damaged.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:40 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
...and likely the begining of the end of AJ.
There wil be a resolution but QF brand has now been severely damaged.
Good, the damage is all his own making.

He needs to be gone yesterday.

John Borghetti must be wetting himself...
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:46 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, HH Blue, SPG PLatinum
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
Good, the damage is all his own making.

He needs to be gone yesterday.

John Borghetti must be wetting himself...
John Borghetti is too busy selling tickets to wet himself or even have time to walk to the toilet
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:49 am

Programs: QF, AA, UA, AS, SW, CO
Bugger! I am due to fly to the US Monday, & have a further 5 trips booked over the next few months. Also half a dozen domestic bookings.

Interesting times ..
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Joyce seems to be wanting to have a fight with unions ; this should tip the government into forcing an arbitration between the 2 parties which I think is a good thing since I don't think that Joyce has been serious in attempting a negotiation with the other parties
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Storyteller
Bugger! I am due to fly to the US Monday, & have a further 5 trips booked over the next few months. Also half a dozen domestic bookings.

Interesting times ..
Good opportunity and incentive to see whether the the competitors on the routes have a better product than Qantas
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:53 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
I have had my head buried for the last few hours doing my tax return. AFF is down and I now find QF have grounded their entire fleet....unbelievable. This will force the Govt's hand!!!!
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:57 am

Was just as Brisbane Airport when I saw the news on ABC 24. Wasn't flying, meerly plane spotting with my son.

They had a few news crews and other taking photos, etc with some of the affected passengers.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:58 am

Programs: QF, AA, UA, AS, SW, CO
Originally Posted by kpc
I have had my head buried for the last few hours doing my tax return. AFF is down and I now find QF have grounded their entire fleet....unbelievable. This will force the Govt's hand!!!!
I'm also having trouble getting onto AFF since my post there. Occasional trickle of other posts being reported to me, via getting emails of replies on the thread.

And I was also doing my tax return until my brother rang to tell me to switch the TV on!
Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:00 am

Programs: OZ*G, QF Gold
Phew, I have to go to the US for urgent family matters on Tuesday - unspeakably relieved that we booked with UA on a whim, even though I was considering at QF as they're my usual!

I definitely hope for a quick resolution though...I do have a MEL-SIN codeshare on QF on my way to Europe in December...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.