Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas International & Domestic grounded

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas International & Domestic grounded

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:28 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
This comes up time and again but as far as I know EK pays markets rates for fuel at DXB which are much the same as elsewhere.
I think you are right, but some CEO's (LH, BA, AC, QF) love to moan about how much EK is subsidized... But I have never seen any hard evidence about these subsides...
Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Platinum A332
I feel especially sorry for those on QF2. They were flown from London to Bangkok, and are now stranded in a city at huge risk of flooding. Surely they could have granted an exemption to fly these people home?
.. Are they stranded? Were they off-loaded to BA, TG and others? (Note QF1 never left SYD, so it's only one plane of passengers)
Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:34 am

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
I feel especially sorry for those on QF2. They were flown from London to Bangkok, and are now stranded in a city at huge risk of flooding. Surely they could have granted an exemption to fly these people home?
Very true - probably already on their way home with TG or others.

Any empathy for passengers who have had to endure the "union cause" over the past 8 weeks?
Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:37 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Thumbs down

As far as Emirates goes on paper it operates on a "level" playing field BUT the government owns the airline, owns the airport, owns the fuel supplier, owns everything

I'm guessing the same with EY. Gulf Air is the only commercially operated carrier in the region and look how its coping to keep up - its been dwarfed by EK and EY.

Silly QF CEO made a rash hasty decision, you give people notice!!!-there are old, sick, disabled, bereaved, babies and young children out there stranded. It's an unforgivable action and hope he pays the price somehow.

Australian government and its open skies policy cant be helping either...how do you compete with triple and double daily's by yr rivals operating at a lower cost base and offering lower airfares? Why not a teeny bit of protection? Look what Canadian Govt did to Etihad and Emirates..told them to go jump in the lake when they wanted more slots threatening Air Canada to the point of a diplomatic spat now causing Canadians to apply for a visa at $200 if they want to travel to the UAE-that's gutsy!

This never should have happened and if it had to be "the [grounding] we had to have" - be decent and professional and give people some warning.

I'm currently disgusted with this sudden grounding as a QF FF and am looking at my plat Virgin card (status matched) with extraordinary comfort.

My 2 cents
CJ
Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:42 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by amaroo
Don't see any staff comments stating the contrary

In fact, I've seen the heads of all three unions state in interviews that it's not about pay - it's about job security.

Well, it's time to live in the real World......no job for life here or anywhere else
And I don't see any figures to back up the claim...
A lot of difference between job security and a job for life.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:46 am

Any empathy for passengers who have had to endure the "union cause" over the past 8 weeks?
Definitely. This whole situation is a mess with egos on both sides - and it is the customer in the middle being punished.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
.. Are they stranded? Were they off-loaded to BA, TG and others? (Note QF1 never left SYD, so it's only one plane of passengers)
Some were off-loaded onto BA (F+J customers given priority from my understanding). But most were put in a hotel in Sukhumvit.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:49 am

Programs: QFF
The grounding would have come in while QF2 was 3 hours out of BKK. They should have been directed to HKG or SIN. At that point in the flight and the reserve fuel they are required to carry, the flight should have been able to divert to either Asian port.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
annoying comment via the age on line... customer stranded by qantas says they (qantas) have done a great job looking after them by paying for meals and accommodation etc... then they go on to say that they hope the insurance companies are just as forthcoming.

so now all Australians according to this guy are expected (through higher insurance premiums) to cover the actions of the qantas board?

insurance is not there to cover matters such as this. qantas is rightly (probably legally) making the arrangements necessary to feed, accommodate and transport passengers home. this is not a matter for insurance companies!

as for the nationalization argument... there was a good point made by another doctor via the age... he was going to read cancer scans and qf is the only airline capable of carrying isotopes... he now can't do that. this is a reason why if nationalization occurs, it should be for the whole business, including vital domestic services linking remote areas.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:52 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by TPJ
I think you are right, but some CEO's (LH, BA, AC, QF) love to moan about how much EK is subsidized... But I have never seen any hard evidence about these subsides...
That's mostly to do with their being able to get discounts from Airbus under EU trade laws which the European carriers can't.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 7:00 am

Programs: QFF WP
Yes, however, even the relative minority of passengers whose travel were seriously disrupted at least had warning and an opportunity to make alternative plans.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 7:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage, QFF, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by PDPhoto
I wonder how many of the pro union posters have would be happy to see their pension funds devalued when the share in Qantas held by their pension funds is reduced top nothing
LOL, if my pension/super fund held ANY Qantas stock I would have their balls!
Bad management has made it (Qantas) an under-performer for years.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 7:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by drsmithy
Yes, however, even the relative minority of passengers whose travel were seriously disrupted at least had warning and an opportunity to make alternative plans.
So you are saying that unions are allowed to strike but not a company?
Old Oct 30, 2011, 7:08 am

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by chongcao
So you are saying that unions are allowed to strike but not a company?
I'm saying there's a vast gulf of difference between "we're going to be striking on $DAY at $TIME" and "you're all screwed and won't be flying anywhere from right now, muahahaha".
Old Oct 30, 2011, 7:10 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Himeno
She could have and should have. But she won't because she is weak and shouldn't be PM in the first place.
[mod edit]

Comment on Moderator Actions - post deleted

[/mod eidt]

Last edited by willyroo; Oct 30, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.