Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas International & Domestic grounded

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas International & Domestic grounded

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:39 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold & Others
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Except he forgot to mention that all those evil unions really want to do is steal your firstborn child and eat it. At least that's what they appear to be about if you believe a good number of the people who post on FT
LOL.......maybe they should have included demands for more chips and chocolate bar vending machines in their lunch rooms to appease their hunger, might have got more public sympathy for that request!
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:52 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by adampenrith
An employer who cannot negotiate with their staff and then treats them this bad is a employer I would not want to work for.
A customer who buys a ticket (which is a contract) (but is tied up in small print no one reads) , and then gets stranded is not a happy customer.
The Brand is everything in marketing, the QF brand is worthless now in
my eyes.
I would never trust QF to fulfill their part of the contract.
AJ wants to lower his costs, get rid of the expensive legacy labour costs, but at what price?
I choose to not travel on JQ so thankfully there is competition.
A very sad end to an Australian icon!!
Qantas is not the only airline that relies on the small print.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by chandi
Actually if you did look at corporate law you would know anything tabled at the AGM must be in the agenda circulated 27 days (1 month?) before the AGM. The reason for this to allow shareholders to make an informed decission on if they should attend the AGM and if not who to assign their proxy to.

Tabling items outside the agenda is one sure way to get on the wrong side of ASIC.

Secondly, regardless of what the transport minister thinks, a public company can have may strategies up it's sleeve and discussed at board level without informing ASIC. For example BHP can put a business plan together to go in to the mobile phone business but do not have to disclose it to ASIC. Main disclosure requirement is disclose should not allow some shareholders to benefit over others.

For example QF could not have briefed the institutions ahead of the retails investors about the grounding. But as they held a press conference to announce it, only having briefed the government in advance, (IMHO and INAL) they have not broken disclosure regulations under ASIC or ASX.
This decision was taken at board level not AGM or even EGM
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:00 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by BNE2?
LOL.......maybe they should have included demands for more chips and chocolate bar vending machines in their lunch rooms to appease their hunger, might have got more public sympathy for that request!
Perhaps. And it's hard to fit a newly- born baby into a vending machine. Particularly if it's gone full-term.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
That's where negotiating comes in; with unions, if there is trust between the 2 parties these things can reasomably be negotiated. Unions are not some evil spawn of Satan, they generally are working for the interests of members and it is in the interest of their members for the company to stay operating

Looking at the relationships, it seems that there is complete lack of trust of the company from the union. I doubt that it has come to this from a one sided "we will not trust the company" mantra but from dealings

yup... negotiating... the USA and USSR managed to negotiate to bring the world back from the brink of nuclear war, but a CEO being paid $5 million can't negotiate with his workforce...

qantas is a brand because it is represents the spirit of Australia... it represents 'coming home' from the moment you step on board (supposedly). part of what Australia represents is a fair go.

the majority of the public don't see this as being a fair go... whatever the economics.

the qantas brand is not built on it's ability to make money for shareholders. it's brand is because it is australian (and because it's safe).

there is a long history in Australia of anti-greed, and of the tall poppy syndrome. we don't like the banks making billions and still increasing rates in excess of the rba, we don't like telecoms making profits and reducing services... and I suspect not many really like the idea of a financially profitable company (as a whole) outsourcing to lower costs.

unions have had a valuable place in our society... the 8 hour day, the fight for pay equality between men and women... same work, same pay (although they haven't quite got there yet).

if this was a fight by qantas to only employ women, on lower salaries, there would be an outcry... same work should equal same pay. but yet if it's a foreign worker on a lower salary that's ok because...??

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Oct 29, 2011 at 11:32 pm Reason: to clarify I meant an 8 HOUR day :)
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
That's where negotiating comes in; with unions, if there is trust between the 2 parties these things can reasomably be negotiated. Unions are not some evil spawn of Satan, they generally are working for the interests of members and it is in the interest of their members for the company to stay operating

Looking at the relationships, it seems that there is complete lack of trust of the company from the union. I doubt that it has come to this from a one sided "we will not trust the company" mantra but from dealings
I'm not personally close enough to the details to make that call. My only involvement with Qantas is as a passenger.

Whilst negotiating definitely plays a part it would be hard for an agreement to be achieved if both sides are working from vastly different realities.

An increase in your share of the pie is only sustainable if the pie is getting bigger for everyone or at least staying the same size. Qantas International is losing market share to SQ, EK et al and Qantas Domestic is operating from a higher cost base than Virgin Australia.

Despite the higher fares my last few flights have been on QF both domestically and internationally. For a start if more Australians were flying with Qantas then perhaps market share wouldn't be shrinking (at least internationally)...and then the negotiating would have a chance?
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF

unions have had a valuable place in our society... the 8 day, the fight for pay equality between men and women... same work, same pay (although they haven't quite got there yet).
Man I had not heard about this. I have always said there are not enough days in the week. With unions involved that means a three day weekend doesn't it?
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Well, what happened now? Is flight will resume normal operation again? I wasn't sure why they were on strike or not??
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:33 pm

Here is my 2c -

- unions played an admirable and integral role from industrial revolution days until recent history due to the lack of equitable IR infrastructure (legislation etc) around the world
- their role in modern day Australia, with high labour mobility, high comparative salaries etc, is less clear
- their behaviour in recent history has been questionable. Coincidentally, I was close to the massive strike at Robe River in the Pilbara in the late 80s (I lived in Wickham at the time) and close to the waterfront dispute in the late 90s (working for an importer). The Robe strike was initially triggered because they sacked some workers for stealing on a large scale, something which seems cut and dried. Regarding the waterfront dispute, I doubt I would see too many people defending the rorts that were going on at Patricks.

However my two key issues with unions (and this is relevant in this situation also) are -

1. There is considerable moral hazard in how the union system is set up - Unions essentially have to engage in spurious industrial action to validate their existence. If you were a union working in an area with no problems which required addressing, you would quickly lose membership. Hence the need for militancy

2. The whole concept of unions and pay is trying to bypass the most efficient system there is - the law of supply and demand. If I am not happy with my pay or conditions I look elsewhere. As long as a company is not breaking the law, they should have the right to pay me what they think I am worth. Together we reach consensus or part ways.

Unions do a great job defending the rights of those unable to defend themselves like immigrants working for below minimum wage or in countries with less sophisticated IR laws. But I struggle to develop any empathy when they can bring an iconic company to their knees over people already earning (in the vast majority of cases) 100k+.

ps - I will add however that the Alan Joyce pay rise was a case of horrendous timing and poor strategy as it would have pushed a lot of people who were 50/50 in favour of the unions. (I might stress that CEO pays are subject to the same laws of supply and demand as well - as much as they make for an easy and simplistic target for the average wage earner)
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: QFF SG, VA SL, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by N830MH
Well, what happened now? Is flight will resume normal operation again? I wasn't sure why they were on strike or not??
The industrial umpire is in session at present and a decision is expected in the next few hours that will either invalidate the grounding indefinitely (and the strikes) or only temporarily to allow further negotiation.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:38 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
NO, still grounded: http://twitter.com/?q=qantas#!/QantasMedia
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Chatterbocks
1. There is considerable moral hazard in how the union system is set up - Unions essentially have to engage in spurious industrial action to validate their existence. If you were a union working in an area with no problems which required addressing, you would quickly lose membership. Hence the need for militancy
Not at all. Most unions in my experience are anything but militant but serve the interests of their members in things such as salary negotiations or in disciplinary matters

In the case of unfair dismissal, many people could not afford to take legal action themselves and a union can assist; I have seen 1st hand the success of this and how it discourages such actions by the company in the future

Originally Posted by Chatterbocks
2. The whole concept of unions and pay is trying to bypass the most efficient system there is - the law of supply and demand. If I am not happy with my pay or conditions I look elsewhere.
If you accept to work for a company at a certain level of remuneration it is not unreasonable to expect to maintain it. Not everyone can just go elsewhere; some can just change companies and do the same role, but not all are in such a fortunate position
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Coathanger
I'm not personally close enough to the details to make that call. My only involvement with Qantas is as a passenger.

Whilst negotiating definitely plays a part it would be hard for an agreement to be achieved if both sides are working from vastly different realities.

An increase in your share of the pie is only sustainable if the pie is getting bigger for everyone or at least staying the same size. Qantas International is losing market share to SQ, EK et al and Qantas Domestic is operating from a higher cost base than Virgin Australia.

Despite the higher fares my last few flights have been on QF both domestically and internationally. For a start if more Australians were flying with Qantas then perhaps market share wouldn't be shrinking (at least internationally)...and then the negotiating would have a chance?
nope. this is where trained negotiators have their role... being able to determine what is on the wish list and what is the actual walk away position (and indeed the middle ground where a deal should be made that keeps both parties happy in the long term).

I'm pretty sure pilots wanting manicures in the first class lounge before departure was on the fanciful wish list... and neither a serious negotiator at qantas or the union would expect that to come to fruition.

other items are more substantive... but a good negotiator will be able to tease out the basic demands from any list and then respond to those. that works for both sides... the trained negotiator at the unions should be able to work out the qantas must have position.

Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
Man I had not heard about this. I have always said there are not enough days in the week. With unions involved that means a three day weekend doesn't it?
yes yes... corrected to 8 hour day now
Old Oct 30, 2011, 12:01 am

Surely this action will have triggered the EU compensation rules by now. It is certainly no act of God and even if their position is unsustainable in the long term the company is very responsible for their passengers in the short term.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 12:23 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Darkumbra

IF I take the virgin flight and Qantas flies on schedule? AC has told my TA that they will NOT honor my YYZ leg because I have not followed my itinerary...
I wouldn't worry too much - AC and QF use different reservation systems (QF: Amadeus, AC: I am not sure if it is EDS or still BABS, but definitely not Amadeus) - AC wouldn't know you was not on a QF flight, as it takes a couple of hours to update e-ticket with USED status, if check-in is performed in another system. In the worst case scenario - while check-in in SYD is outsourced to UA, there is a service desk maned with AC employees - there will be may cases as yours and I am sure these AC folks will be reasonable with adjusting the rules accordingly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.