Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas International & Domestic grounded

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas International & Domestic grounded

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2011, 5:14 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by Platinum A332
How can Qantas compete with EK which pays a significantly lower amount for Aviation Fuel for its flights out of its hub
This comes up time and again but as far as I know EK pays markets rates for fuel at DXB which are much the same as elsewhere.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 5:32 am

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
well there was some suggestion to just nationalize the international arm... the loss making one. why just do that? take over the whole thing or nothing.

and where are these losses coming from? diverted flights that can't make it to Australia from Dallas? payout(s) following price fixing on cargo? not getting the fleet right? diminish benefits for frequent flyers to alienate them?

company stuffs up, then greed drives it to lower costs to cover the money they wasted in the first place.
Yeah, why not....NBN (Telstra), QF, why stop there. Lets grab back CBA and whatever else we've sold.

Simple, lets just drop kick the unions and be done with it.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by amaroo
Yeah, why not....NBN (Telstra), QF, why stop there. Lets grab back CBA and whatever else we've sold.

Simple, lets just drop kick the unions and be done with it.
The point trying to be made is not about a Union v Management battle. The point is that having a national flag carrier serving in the national interest is beneficial longer-term. Remember also CBA and Telstra only really face domestic competition. Qantas has a national interest in a global arena where it is competing on an unlevel playing field.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
It strikes me (no pun intended) that one of the real issues behind all of the union's demands (and it would seem, many of the Australian public feel similarrly) is keeping the airline 'Australian'. AJ seems to think that the future lies in Asia. I don't know either way, but what I DO know is that these days you have to compete globally. Nationalising the airline seems to me like a solution stuck back about 40 years ago, which is also where union attitudes seem to be.

Ultimately, if the end game is that Australia no longer has QF as their national carrier, then so be it. If people love QF so much, why not buy tickets on QF instead of on Etihad or Emirates?

I'm sure Virgin Australia would love to be the flag carrier.

Ultimately, though, what Alan Joyce is doing is saving Qantas and saving Australian jobs from unions that want to buury their heads an deny globalisation.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Blackadder1402
All this talk about QF staff being the "highest paid", does anyone have an source of figures to back up the statement or just what is fed by the media?
Don't see any staff comments stating the contrary

In fact, I've seen the heads of all three unions state in interviews that it's not about pay - it's about job security.

Well, it's time to live in the real World......no job for life here or anywhere else
Old Oct 30, 2011, 5:55 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Pilots finished final submissions, now the engineers.
great twitter feeds from @latikambourke and @leigh_howard
many thanks.

Pilots seem to be running a line that even if engineers, baggage actions are terminated theres should be only suspended.

30hrs later. Gillard could have stopped this all at 3pm yesterday.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Platinum A332
The point trying to be made is not about a Union v Management battle. The point is that having a national flag carrier serving in the national interest is beneficial longer-term. Remember also CBA and Telstra only really face domestic competition. Qantas has a national interest in a global arena where it is competing on an unlevel playing field.
Optus - Singapore owned

Vodafone - UK based & foreign owned

Forgot how many foreign owned banks operate in Aus corporate sector - but it's more than a couple.

The last thing this country needs is a government run airline.....they can't even put pink batts in a ceiling
Old Oct 30, 2011, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by amaroo
Optus - Singapore owned

Vodafone - UK based & foreign owned

Forgot how many foreign owned banks operate in Aus corporate sector - but it's more than a couple.

The last thing this country needs is a government run airline.....they can't even put pink batts in a ceiling
Sorry, should have clarified I didn't mean about ownership - I meant in terms of the companies operations - Optus in Australia doesn't have to compete with etisalat from the UAE for example.

But Julia said she will fix it! She definitely can!!!!!!
Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by moa999
Pilots finished final submissions, now the engineers.
great twitter feeds from @latikambourke and @leigh_howard
many thanks.

Pilots seem to be running a line that even if engineers, baggage actions are terminated theres should be only suspended.

She's trying to work out how to say NO to her paymasters

At least Hawke had the balls to say bugger off to the Pilots - in fact it was probably the easiest call he had to make.

Last edited by amaroo; Oct 30, 2011 at 6:09 am
Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:05 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by moa999
She could have and should have. But she won't because she is weak and shouldn't be PM in the first place.

Which aircraft are where?
There is a breakdown on theqantassource.com, but their list totals 131 aircraft at 19 airports, not the 108 at 22 reported in the media.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
the question was raised earlier, but I'm not sure if anyone else had some input...

I have an award ticket on qf, issued on AA stock.

the qf website talks about 081 issued tickets, but also mentions tickets validated to other carriers (non 081)... my understanding is that does not cover award tickets? AA has issued the ticket... so it is the same as a travel agent for all intents and purposes is that right?

is my discussion going to have to be held with AA or qf for an alternative? I am booked in first ex Asia... the only other carrier able to get me all the way home in my class of service is going to be sq first/suites.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:10 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Earlier today I could book flights for Tuesday on qantas.com

Now it's only for Wed onwards flights...
Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:18 am

Programs: QFF WP
I am currently in the process of writing a letter to QANTAS stating that even though I don't support the recent actions of the Unions, or their claims, the grounding was a ridiculously over-the-top reaction showing nothing but contempt for its customers and employees.

I feel particularly bad for any travellers who were in transit when this whole thing went down. The mind boggles at how parents of any unaccompanied minors must be feeling.

Personally I won't pay another cent to QANTAS so long as Joyce is running the place. The risk of him throwing another tantrum is simply not worth it. I hope to see some class-action suits out of this debacle, ideally legal action aimed directly at Joyce & upper management, rather than the company as a whole (though I imagine that isn't possible).
Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:22 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by drsmithy
Personally I won't pay another cent to QANTAS so long as Joyce is running the place.
He'll be pulled into line pretty soon, but he's caused serious damage to the brand - I wouldn't be buying tickets with that airline again for a while, and I thank god that I don't have shares in the company. They'll be useful as toilet paper for a long time, that's about all.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by drsmithy
I am currently in the process of writing a letter to QANTAS stating that even though I don't support the recent actions of the Unions, or their claims, the grounding was a ridiculously over-the-top reaction showing nothing but contempt for its customers and employees.

I feel particularly bad for any travellers who were in transit when this whole thing went down. The mind boggles at how parents of any unaccompanied minors must be feeling.

Personally I won't pay another cent to QANTAS so long as Joyce is running the place. The risk of him throwing another tantrum is simply not worth it. I hope to see some class-action suits out of this debacle, ideally legal action aimed directly at Joyce & upper management, rather than the company as a whole (though I imagine that isn't possible).
I feel especially sorry for those on QF2. They were flown from London to Bangkok, and are now stranded in a city at huge risk of flooding. Surely they could have granted an exemption to fly these people home?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.