Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: JFK-BKK $2409 RT Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA: JFK-BKK $2409 RT Business

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2022, 5:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium,
Originally Posted by rbAA
Right now, the only transit allowed is arrivals to transfer on to the specified Bangkok Airways flights to Koh Samui, for those that do the Samui Sandbox plan. Stay tuned: things are always changing. Besides that, to even get on the plane to BKK JL will check your Test-N-Go certificate and other papers, so you'll have already paid for the hotel night, car transfer, and tests on arrival. Unless you plan to cancel the SHA+ hotel before you leave, in which case, you would technically be violating the immigration rules which might have some serious repercussions, financial and otherwise. Best to just play it straight. And even if your plan is to transit back to the US on that same ticket, I don't think you'll have the negative test to get back as it is required 24 hours before departure to the US. I think you'd have to clear immigration at BKK to get the test done, as even an express PCR test (PCR is required to get on the JL plane and enter Thailand) may not staisfy the required time.
Is the day 1 PCR test qualify for travel to another country? I am totally ok with staying at AQ hotel for 24 to 48 hours just to wait for the day 1 test result. My 2nd ticket require PCR test within 72 hours, if the day 1 PCR test is also good for intl travel, I don't have to look for another testing place.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 10:01 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by barabbas90
My guess is that if R=0, then it would have to book into a full J fare. That way youd earn more miles (200% for a J fare compared to 150% in an R fare when crediting to AS for example)
Is there no upcharge for J when R is unavailable only? But there would be an upcharge if R has space and you f bc=j on the segment?
Old Feb 3, 2022, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by lieflatn000b
Can one even fly to BKK? Do t you need to enter via Phuket?
Sandbox - yes.
Test and Go - no.

Originally Posted by 350zrx330
Is the day 1 PCR test qualify for travel to another country? I am totally ok with staying at AQ hotel for 24 to 48 hours just to wait for the day 1 test result. My 2nd ticket require PCR test within 72 hours, if the day 1 PCR test is also good for intl travel, I don't have to look for another testing place.
Yes, the PCR test is good for INT travel.

Test and go is probably your best bet. You will get picked up at the airport, taken to your hotel, with a stop along the way at the hospital for the test. (Some do the test at the hotel. Phuket does the test at the airport for the Sandbox.) You will be taken to your hotel where you will wait for your results. Once you get your results - typically 10-14 hours later - you are free to go out or leave and go to the airport and leave the country. (The hotel can print your PCR results.)

Either way, there is paperwork to do. It is relatively easy. 5-10 minutes.

The only potential gotcha - a positive result on arrival. At that point, you are stuck for 10 days. No symptoms, you can likely stay at the hotel you are in. (But this too varies.) Any symptoms, you will be sent to the hospital or a hospitel (hotel with medical facilities). This is much more expensive than just a hotel, but good insurance will cover it.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
Is there no upcharge for J when R is unavailable only?
No, thankfully. But there is an upcharge for # of segments so pricing is ~$2900 w/ the transcons included.

Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
But there would be an upcharge if R has space and you f bc=j on the segment?
I have found this to be the problem. F bc=j forces ~$11k ticket.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Global321
Sandbox - yes.
Test and Go - no.

Yes, the PCR test is good for INT travel.

Test and go is probably your best bet. You will get picked up at the airport, taken to your hotel, with a stop along the way at the hospital for the test. (Some do the test at the hotel. Phuket does the test at the airport for the Sandbox.) You will be taken to your hotel where you will wait for your results. Once you get your results - typically 10-14 hours later - you are free to go out or leave and go to the airport and leave the country. (The hotel can print your PCR results.)

Either way, there is paperwork to do. It is relatively easy. 5-10 minutes.

The only potential gotcha - a positive result on arrival. At that point, you are stuck for 10 days. No symptoms, you can likely stay at the hotel you are in. (But this too varies.) Any symptoms, you will be sent to the hospital or a hospitel (hotel with medical facilities). This is much more expensive than just a hotel, but good insurance will cover it.
awesome, thank you so much.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 12:41 pm

Not sure if the 4x transcons in J are worth an additional 1k USD compared to the Amex IAP deal. It'd fetch me ~24k more BA Avios, 560 more TP and 5k more in Amex MR. The transcon legs in J aren't very special, are they? (Like the ones in F have Flagship First Dining)
Is it easy to upgrade AA transcons to F? I don't have AA miles/status, so I'd assume not, but happy to be proven wrong!
Old Feb 3, 2022, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by NHarmonia
Not sure if the 4x transcons in J are worth an additional 1k USD compared to the Amex IAP deal. It'd fetch me ~24k more BA Avios, 560 more TP and 5k more in Amex MR. The transcon legs in J aren't very special, are they? (Like the ones in F have Flagship First Dining)
Is it easy to upgrade AA transcons to F? I don't have AA miles/status, so I'd assume not, but happy to be proven wrong!
Pretty sure the $1900 Amex IAP is booking into JAL stock in fare bucket: I. AA transcons are somewhat easy to upgrade from R,D,J - just 15k miles required and availability tends to be good, although the only difference from J to F is hard product and flagship dining. The dining might be worth it but a lie flat is a lie flat.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
How do you get this routing (JFK-LAX-BOS-NRT-BKK-NRT-BOS-LAX-JFK ) on AAvacations ? I wanted to get this/Marked as special fare and get the hotel also booked along with Flights Can't seem to be find the multi city options for Flights
Old Feb 3, 2022, 6:46 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Test&Go requires you to prepay 2 hotel nights and tests, for days 1 and 5. Once you get the day 1 test result, you are free to go wherever, I suppose they won't stop you from leaving the country. But, I doubt you'll get a refund for the second night and test.
When I did the Phuket Sandbox in October, it took 3 hours to get my test results-just as it started raining heavily. I needed a nap anyway, after the long SQ flight LAX-SIN-HKT.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 4:36 am

Test&Go requires you to prepay 2 hotel nights and tests, for days 1 and 5. Once you get the day 1 test result, you are free to go wherever, I suppose they won't stop you from leaving the country. But, I doubt you'll get a refund for the second night and test.
When I did the Phuket Sandbox in October, it took 3 hours to get my test results-just as it started raining heavily. I needed a nap anyway, after the long SQ flight LAX-SIN-HKT.
Ture. I don't have high hope of getting any refund. Thank you for the heads up.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 5:04 am

Ture. I don't have high hope of getting any refund. Thank you for the heads up.
100% you can get a refund on the second night if you have purchased a refundable stay. (It is a common misunderstanding to think the rates must be non-refundable). The requirement is to pre-pay, not book a non-refundable. Lots of the SHA+ hotels offer a refundable rate. In most cases, you have to ask. (Mine were all refundable. I did this in case I had a last minute change of plans.)

And of course you can leave the country any time after getting the first results.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by rajhyd99
How do you get this routing (JFK-LAX-BOS-NRT-BKK-NRT-BOS-LAX-JFK ) on AAvacations ? I wanted to get this/Marked as special fare and get the hotel also booked along with Flights Can't seem to be find the multi city options for Flights
And I want a pony. Basically you're asking for too much. Either take the AAV option with transits in LAX/SFO or do the non-special fare with the extra transcons.
edsh and Sandy Hopper like this.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 4:19 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Not mine but incredibly helpful to me - https://lpcalculator.com/#/calculato...I0MDAsMTU4NTIs.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Whodunit68
Not mine but incredibly helpful to me - https://lpcalculator.com/#/calculato...I0MDAsMTU4NTIs.
Maybe I am screwing something up but......when I put in the details for this particular trip flying AA marketed versus JL marketed it actually shows a higher earning with JL marketed. Also, it doesn't seem to take into account that after March 1st, I fares seem to earn different loyalty points amounts. Again, I am willing to concede that I am entering something in wrong.

Edited to add: I did not realize that you get the EXP bonus on the JL booking so it does look like it is correct. But, I think after March the amount of the I fare changes to the chart below.

Last edited by mcgahat; Feb 5, 2022 at 6:49 am Reason: Added note about the EXP bonus for partners that I didnt realize
Old Feb 5, 2022, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Maybe I am screwing something up but......when I put in the details for this particular trip flying AA marketed versus JL marketed it actually shows a higher earning with JL marketed. Also, it doesn't seem to take into account that after March 1st, I fares seem to earn different loyalty points amounts. Again, I am willing to concede that I am entering something in wrong.

Edited to add: I did not realize that you get the EXP bonus on the JL booking so it does look like it is correct. But, I think after March the amount of the I fare changes to the chart below.

I believe you are correct. The developer is awesome and all over this. I’m confident that it doesn’t show the future values (from after Match) but the current as it seems you’ve discovered.
mcgahat likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.