Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Oneworld: UL: DXB-CGK in J, $800 R/T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oneworld: UL: DXB-CGK in J, $800 R/T

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
Data point: My UL flights from 7,8,9 June posted to my BAEC account on Wednesday 19 June. This seems in line with what others have said.

Unfortunately for me, I'm still waiting on 800 points from my last run in May... I submitted a claim and I'm crossing my fingers it will not take too much to solve this
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:07 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Has anyone tried going airside at CGK with a printed out boarding pass?

I'm keen to avoid the check-in desks, for reasons I'll go into later

M
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:18 pm

I did. It was okay to go through immigration with printed boarding pass. I was 5-6 hours earlier so the security guys made me wait for a few minutes while consulting their manager if it was ok to go in. At the boarding gate the agents will print out normal boarding passes for you.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Still
I did. It was okay to go through immigration with printed boarding pass. I was 5-6 hours earlier so the security guys made me wait for a few minutes while consulting their manager if it was ok to go in. At the boarding gate the agents will print out normal boarding passes for you.
Awesome! Many thanks!

M
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Has anyone tried going airside at CGK with a printed out boarding pass?

I'm keen to avoid the check-in desks, for reasons I'll go into later

M
Done that four times, UL->MH and reverse. Reported previously upthread. No problems.

If planning a B2B UL->UL @ CGK and problems printing BPs in LON or AUH, a good plan B evolves in the CMB lounge, where they are happy to print them for you, provided you mail them to their CPU.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by onobond
Done that four times, UL->MH and reverse. Reported previously upthread. No problems.

If planning a B2B UL->UL @ CGK and problems printing BPs in LON or AUH, a good plan B evolves in the CMB lounge, where they are happy to print them for you, provided you mail them to their CPU.
I was sure I remembered someone saying it was possible, but perhaps I didnt scroll up enough.

Anyway, I managed to make it airside without going anywhere near the UL desks, and thus avoiding the Supervisor until the gate...by which point he couldn't stop me leaving!

I'll write up a few more comments and tips about this weeks journey in a few days time.

I'll also introduce Charlie the Cockroach, who resides at Bandara International by Accor, and particularly enjoys bathtubs and mirrors.

M
Telecasterman, Lefly and cgtechuk like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
BTW, I spotted a UL A333 at CGK while I was waiting for my A321. Apparently it was being leased by Oman Air as it was flying to Muscat under a WY flight number. I don’t know if it was a wet lease or not.
It's a wet lease, so crewed by UL

M

Last edited by msm2000uk; Jun 27, 2019 at 12:19 pm
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club

I'll write up a few more comments and tips about this weeks journey in a few days time.

I'll also introduce Charlie the Cockroach, who resides at Bandara International by Accor, and particularly enjoys bathtubs and mirrors.

M
Look forward to it!
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:19 am

So having just completed a back-to-back at AUH on this run, I thought I'd offer some new feedback to that which I offered last time.

I flew AUH-CMB-CGK-CMB-AUH-CMB-CGK-CMB-AUH over 4 days, and I was rather shattered by the end! Still, it was hardly a chore!

Flying out of AUH is very easy, and the transit route is short and quick. My flights from CMB into AUH landed early, and I spent around 45mins in the lounge on each turn.

Having booked through an OTA, I was able to print my own boarding passes, which ultimately saved me from an uncomfortable encounter (more on that later!).

Upon landing at CMB, we were parked at a remote stand. However, with a separate bus for J, it was very efficient and quick to reach the terminal building.

Having already stayed at the Novotel in Tangerang (Jakarta), I decided to split my stays between the FM7 and Bandara International by Accor.

The FM7 was pretty good. The hotel representative was very easy to find, and the shuttle bus was ready for me to board immediately. Because of its proximity to the airport, it's a very quick ride to the hotel, and they even use some sort of random shortcut through a field! It's a toll road, decorated with flower pots, but it does save time!

I had a Dexlue Plus room, which came with a very large bathtub, but mostly just a larger room. The space was very functional with British plug sockets in three places. Breakfast was included, and that also meant Room Service...which was surprisingly tasty. The only negative I'd offer, is that FM7 dont cool the rooms prior to arrival, so mine was 28°C when I walked in - although the air-con quickly cooled it.

Upon my return to CGK, I'd forgotten how trying the airport staff maning the UL desks were. The staff aren't particularly clued up when it comes to Visas for European passport holders, so I had to explain I was in transit at AUH and thus no need for a visa.

Now this is where the fun began for me, and I apologise the long-winded nature of the tale. I'm going to put this section at the bottom, because most of you wont care, and just want to know about Charlie.

I've spoken about the A321 and CGK Lounges beforehand, so wont dwell on these again. However, on my CMB-AUH-CMB legs, I was served by an A330-200 with fully flat beds. Winner!

Well sort of winner!

The A332 product has been reviewed by others elsewhere, so I wont spend too much time here, but I will way Row 1 has much more legroom.

I found the seat great for meals, really wide and comfortable as a bed, but utterly useless for relaxing or watching movies. It's all to do with how the seat moves, and it's pretty odd.

Upon landing back at CGK, I was booked into the Bandara International by Accor. It has an outdoor pool, is very close to the airport, and I know quite a few FTers favour it. So, keen to find out for myself, I booked a room.

The room I was given initially, lacked any UK or international plug sockets. Instead, you are asked to use the USB socket connected to the TV - not ideal. Fortunately the staff had a UK to European adapter, and that sufficed.

The pool area was pretty good, albeit the actual pool gave me a small rash on my feet (an aversion to the chemicals they use). But, it was comfortable and definitely a sun trap.

After an hour or so, I headed back to my room and filled the bathtub to relax after a long days travelling. The hot water flow was atrocious, but when I emptied the tub, I could hear bubbling to the side from the drain.

Up the drain came a load of dirty water and bits of debris. It flooded the bathroom floor, and while that's bad, the silver lining was making a new friend. Charlie the Cockroach.

He was very keen to say hi, but found the mirrored rubbish bin most interesting. I have videos galore, but I wont upload those quite yet!

Instead, how about a photo (see bottom of post)

The Duty Manager failed to come to my room after 15mins of me waiting, so instead I decided to announce my news at the Reception desk. Needless to say the Duty Manager soon appeared.

I was moved to a Junior Suite which was a long long long long walk away, but it was a really nice room.

I opted for Room Service for dinner, and the Nasi Goreng and Satay were one of the best meals I've eaten in Asia all year. I appreciate it's an easy meal, but it was delicious - I sent a note of thanks to the chef upon checking out.

I wont go into the service recovery side of things here, as this is ongoing, but I was less than impressed at how this was all handled.

So, 8 flights in a short space of time, and I'm now back in the UK.

The UL staff were absolutely brilliant right the way through, and they are my favourite airline staff of all those I've been fortunate enough to fly!

Bye for now!

M

The CGK debacle
My passport is full. I have no totally empty pages, but immigration officers still always find spacs to stamp.

I appreciate there are rules which say you must have a certain number of free pages before travelling, and I'm definitely in contravention of those.

However, CGK officers have stamped the same page 3 times this year without issue, so clearly they aren't concerned!

So, on my first CGK-CMB this week, I'm told at check-in that they need an Immigration Official to check my passport for onward travel.

The UL Supervisor (who isnt actually UL), tells me it will be their decision. I explain I've already been stamped in, and that is where an issue could have occurred. However, as the official had no complaints, they cannot stop me leaving.

Anyway, the Supervisor gets quite difficult about it, asking to see ALL my onward travel plans for the next 6 months. I ask on what grounds, and he cannot explain, so I show nothing - not wanting him see my b2b plans!

He disappeared for about 20 mins with my passport, then returned, slapped it into my hand, and told me not to return to CGK without a new passport - challenging when I'm doing a b2b at AUH to come straight back!

I go through security, and approach the Immigration desk - at which point the UL Supervisor decides to appear and explain the situation to the official...who doesn't give a damn, says I have already been granted access, and stamps me out.

At the gate, the Supervisor makes me wait while the other J pax board as he claims he needs approval from his Manager.

The Manager then came along, who was dressed with a UL tie opposed to the green CGK airport staff outfits. He chastised the Supervisor, wished me a safe flight, and off I plodded...hence I was keen to avoid him on my return!

The Supervisor was completely right about my passport, but it's not his role to get involved - if there were any issues they would have been dealt with at Border Control on the way in.

Grace B, Lefly and Still like this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Hi M , good read thx.
How were the immigration queues at CGK? I might have crapped out on mine with long queues.
FM7 for the short overnight connections 👍
I love the UL crews👍
Agree CGK officials can be a tad tiresome, imho they don’t get what is happening sometimes.
have a good rest and think of the TP’s etc..mate.
”Charlie the Cockroach “ 🤪
T
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Telecasterman
Hi M , good read thx.
How were the immigration queues at CGK? I might have crapped out on mine with long queues.
FM7 for the short overnight connections 👍
I love the UL crews👍
Agree CGK officials can be a tad tiresome, imho they don’t get what is happening sometimes.
have a good rest and think of the TP’s etc..mate.
”Charlie the Cockroach “ 🤪
T
The CGK queues were bad, but I've realised that the Disabled line has healing powers - as many of the people who walked up to the short queue with a bad leg, could immediately walk freely straight after their passport was stamped. Must be magic!

The first trip I queued for about 25mins, and the second time the tensa barriers were totally full - so I was sent to the Diplomatic line with a few others (I through in about 5mins).

For whatever reason, 1300-1330 is a terrible time to reach passport control!

M
Unionruler and Last20 like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:15 am

For anyone running in July and August, AUH airport is running a deal with Careem, whereby you get a free trip to/from Dubai from the airport.

Saves around $60, so it's a pretty good deal.

M
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:07 am

I just did CGK - LHR via CMB and it was a bit of a tale of two airlines for me. In the air I found them fantastic. On the ground, generally appalling. Saying that, the Plaza Premium lounge in CGK I think wins my vote for one of worlds best contract lounges.

We had to do an overnight transit in CMB at UL's expense. It was pretty dire.

Last edited by 108912; Jul 11, 2019 at 1:18 am
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
For anyone running in July and August, AUH airport is running a deal with Careem, whereby you get a free trip to/from Dubai from the airport.

Saves around $60, so it's a pretty good deal.

M
Seems like a very good deal.
https://www.timeoutabudhabi.com/trav...port-this-week
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Higher and higher: £685 rtn now: AUH - CGK. I assume this is the weak pound driving the cost up.
msm2000uk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.