Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

BNA Police Officer Threatens Arrest for Filming TSA Checkpoint, Confiscates Phone

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BNA Police Officer Threatens Arrest for Filming TSA Checkpoint, Confiscates Phone

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by greentips
Guys,

Please. Bearcat06 is being straightforward in his answers. You may not like the answers, and he has already admitted that his officer probably went a little off the mark and said if he were in a supervisory position, the officer would be disciplined.

Did he take the camera? Yes.
Should he have? Probably not.
Is the TSA ambiguous, arbitrary, capricious and whimsical? Yes indeed.
Will the officer be disciplined? Yes, but along the lines of Gee, George, that wasn't one of your brighter moves--don't do it again. You know how those TSA idiots are.

A little common sense will go a long ways. Our system tolerates a little elasticity at the edges to make sure that most things are ok. On both sides of the uniform.

Suppose the cop had kept the camera as contraband or any other thing. Then you can redress this, through appropriate channels.

Don't bait the Bear!
+1 Well said. Honest answers and not afraid to call his own guy out.

And we shouldn't forget that he is only addressing his own airport, not suggesting that this is how it works at all airports.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:35 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by Bearcat06
I'm assuming your screen name is correct. Try taking a side-arm from one of your fellow GIs and see what happens....especailly if you are at FOB or out playing elswhere....
I've done that at a FOB. He got all pissy until I pointed out how retarded it was to wear a thigh holster with no retention.

But, I didn't get shot.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA,AS,UA,Hyatt,Hilton
unlawful seizure

Originally Posted by 4th Amendment
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
I don't think there is any question that this individual had his effects seized, albeit temporarily, and I don't think anybody would argue that that this officer did so with lawful authority. It's obvious that this American's 4th Amendment rights were violated here, and from the people who presumably are sworn to uphold those rights and to defend the Constituton we get:

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
The LEO violated the persons civil rights.
Not even close.....
The LEO violated the persons civil rights.
Pffft.....
This disturbs me greatly.

We hear all the time from LEO's on this board how we as citizens are expected to follow LEO directions without question or be prepared for the inevitable "consequences" of our failure to do so.

Yet when our public servant blatantly violates the Constitution he is sworn to uphold we get "rolleyes" icons and "pffft". We are expected to take on faith that whatever "verbal counseling" or other non-punishment the officer's supervisor deigns appropriate is of sufficient "consequence" that future violations will not recur. In fact we must take it on faith because we are told it is considered an internal training matter and not any of our business.

The way this violation of the supreme law of the land is treated as a triviality by the LEOs on this board evinces a callous disregard for the rights of the American people, rights those very officers have taken a solemn oath to defend.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 9:02 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Top Tier
Yet when our public servant blatantly violates the Constitution he is sworn to uphold we get "rolleyes" icons and "pffft".
Some posters got sidetracked into semantics over confiscation vs. taking possession. The point is whatever you call it, it was unnecessary and done either to stop OP from fleeing () or simply as part of the "command presence" dogma (double ).

4th Amendment violation ? No:
The Supreme Court has held that searches and arrests can be performed without a warrant under some circumstances. Most notably, arrests and searches can be performed if the officer personally witnesses the suspect committing a misdemeanor, or has reasonable cause to believe that the suspect has committed a specific, documented felony.
Reasonable cause ? Probably not.
Less than stellar performance by this LEO ? Undoubtedly.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 9:48 am

Req airport police expertise: airport photography/videography: misdemeanor or felony?

Originally Posted by Wally Bird

The Supreme Court has held that searches and arrests can be performed without a warrant under some circumstances. Most notably, arrests and searches can be performed if the officer personally witnesses the suspect committing a misdemeanor, or has reasonable cause to believe that the suspect has committed a specific, documented felony.
Bearcat06, you say you worked as an airport police officer. Do you know of any circumstance in which photographing or videorecording the public areas of an airport is or was ever a misdemeanor or felony offense (besides "upskirt" and similar invasions of privacy)? You said that it was once "a no-no" but have yet to clarify what you meant by that.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Photographers, specifically those who work for the press, claim the 1st protects them being interpreted as not limited to speech, but applicable to all forms of communication.

Court opinions have been divided on the issue. No surprise there.

See also "Freedom of the Press" and "Flag Burning".
That's not what I'm saying.

I have no problem with photography being considered a form of speech.

They're not showing pictures, though, they are taking them.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 2:29 pm
In Memoriam

Some posters got sidetracked into semantics over confiscation vs. taking possession. The point is whatever you call it, it was unnecessary and done either to stop OP from fleeing () or simply as part of the "command presence" dogma (double ).
So we're all agreed the officer at least possessed the phone, and possessed the phone outside of law and procedure.

Tennessee Statute

39-14-103. Theft of property.

A person commits theft of property if, with intent to deprive the owner of property, the person knowingly obtains or exercises control over the property without the owner's effective consent.

[Acts 1989, ch. 591, 1.]

So if you or I do it, it's theft. And an officer acting outside his authority has no more right or protection than any citizen. While the DA probably won't take the case, bearcat's cavalier approach is quite troubling.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
That's not what I'm saying.
Then what are you saying ?
How in the world does the 1st apply here? It's recording, not speech!
In order to show pictures, you have to take (record) them first.

Last edited by Wally Bird; Nov 30, 2010 at 6:07 pm
Old Nov 30, 2010, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think there is any question that this individual had his effects seized, albeit temporarily, and I don't think anybody would argue that that this officer did so with lawful authority. It's obvious that this American's 4th Amendment rights were violated here, and from the people who presumably are sworn to uphold those rights and to defend the Constituton we get:

This disturbs me greatly.

We hear all the time from LEO's on this board how we as citizens are expected to follow LEO directions without question or be prepared for the inevitable "consequences" of our failure to do so.

Yet when our public servant blatantly violates the Constitution he is sworn to uphold we get "rolleyes" icons and "pffft". We are expected to take on faith that whatever "verbal counseling" or other non-punishment the officer's supervisor deigns appropriate is of sufficient "consequence" that future violations will not recur. In fact we must take it on faith because we are told it is considered an internal training matter and not any of our business.

The way this violation of the supreme law of the land is treated as a triviality by the LEOs on this board evinces a callous disregard for the rights of the American people, rights those very officers have taken a solemn oath to defend.
Thanks for speaking up.

I started to reply to Bearcato6 but didn't see any point in trying to have a conversation with someone who is so dismissive of others opinions.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by MaximumSisu
with intent to deprive the owner of property
@:-)
Old Nov 30, 2010, 7:13 pm
In Memoriam

So, Wally, you think it accidentally fell into the cops hand? He didn't intend to take it?
Old Nov 30, 2010, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA,AS,UA,Hyatt,Hilton

Reasonable cause ? Probably not.
Less than stellar performance by this LEO ? Undoubtedly.
I don't see how you can be so quick to dismiss the contention that this man's 4th Amendment rights have been violated. The case law you cite says certain seizures are Constitutional if the officer has witnessed a misdemeanor or has reasonable cause to suspect a felony has been committed. Neither apply here. It's apparent that this officer had neither witnessed a misdemeanor nor had reasonable cause to suspect a felony and therefore neither of the "exceptions" you cited apply. How does that not add up to an unconstitutional seizure?
Old Nov 30, 2010, 9:44 pm

I have stated that the officer was wrong, ignorant and incompetent, and should be rebuked.

Blathering on about the 4th Amendment is far less important than the questions posed to Bearcat which he seems unable or unwilling to answer.

Last edited by Wally Bird; Dec 1, 2010 at 11:19 am Reason: Clarification
Old Dec 1, 2010, 5:09 pm
Suspended

Thanks for speaking up.

I started to reply to Bearcato6 but didn't see any point in trying to have a conversation with someone who is so dismissive of others opinions.
Like so many, Bearcat06 divides people into two groups: Police officers and criminals. Everyone here who doesn't carry a badge is a criminal who just hasn't been caught yet. And in the great crusade of catching "criminals" anything goes.

I don't see how you can be so quick to dismiss the contention that this man's 4th Amendment rights have been violated. The case law you cite says certain seizures are Constitutional if the officer has witnessed a misdemeanor or has reasonable cause to suspect a felony has been committed. Neither apply here. It's apparent that this officer had neither witnessed a misdemeanor nor had reasonable cause to suspect a felony and therefore neither of the "exceptions" you cited apply. How does that not add up to an unconstitutional seizure?
The problem is way too many judges (including the nine whores in black stealing oxygen in DC) give too much "good faith" leeway and let these obvious tyrannical acts slide. Some would even go far as to say that a police badge is effectively an unconstitutional Patent of Nobility, for there are in fact two sets of laws: One for police and their paymasters, and one for the rest of the unwashed.

Last edited by n4zhg; Dec 1, 2010 at 5:14 pm
Old Dec 1, 2010, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by n4zhg
Like so many, Bearcat06 divides people into two groups: Police officers and criminals.
I've seen no indication of such. Can we please refrain from insulting the one person in this discussion who has personal experience with the topic at hand?

I look forward to some insight from Bearcat06 about how TSA's ever-changing policies affect an airport police officer's job of enforcing the law.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.