Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

BNA Police Officer Threatens Arrest for Filming TSA Checkpoint, Confiscates Phone

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BNA Police Officer Threatens Arrest for Filming TSA Checkpoint, Confiscates Phone

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2010, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN RR, DL SkyMiles, CO Captain America

Ignorance and arrogance at its finest.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:43 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
This new policy is turning the before friendly folks at my home airport into petty tyrants as well. Drat! BTW, I take video there too, just stealthily. No interaction yet but I will know to be prepared now. May just try it tomorrow as I come by from the secure side on my way home. I can just say I was taking pictures of the ridiculous NOOD protesters. That will get them on my side.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:47 am

This needs to get wider exposure. If only to finally clarify whether or not citizens can film at the checkpoint.

It is unrealistic to expect people to not film a protest come the 24th, especially when posted regulations allow it.

There have been many incidents where TSA has implied on the ground that filming was illegal and intimidating passengers.

See also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssdiIrDXVo
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:54 am

This new policy is turning the before friendly folks at my home airport into petty tyrants as well.
As I was saying...
Old Nov 23, 2010, 5:43 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
To his credit, the cop apologized after consulting with the TSO, and the TSO gave the correct answer regarding filming at the checkpoint.

(And this is coming from someone who has a strong dislike for police -- google "Cheye Calvo dogs" if you want to know why.)

If more of these power-trip incidents ended this way, the world would be a better place and the authorities would get much more respect.

Of course, the incident should never have happened, particularly the threat of arrest, but at least it ended correctly.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:25 am

Well at least it wasn't SgtScott31 in the encounter, but I do wonder what he would have to say about the training of his officers.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:29 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by studentff
To his credit, the cop apologized after consulting with the TSO, and the TSO gave the correct answer regarding filming at the checkpoint.

(And this is coming from someone who has a strong dislike for police -- google "Cheye Calvo dogs" if you want to know why.)

If more of these power-trip incidents ended this way, the world would be a better place and the authorities would get much more respect.

Of course, the incident should never have happened, particularly the threat of arrest, but at least it ended correctly.
To his credit?

He has to ask the TSA about the law?

He gets no credit from me.

In general, the TSA is nice here and if you get the right ones, knowledgeable. The SOP is still a travesty.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:31 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
To his credit?

He has to ask the TSA about the law?

He gets no credit from me.
As I said, the incident never should have happened. But apologizing to a citizen goes so against the mindset and culture of these law-enforcement types--their training and mentality is to threaten, stonewall, evade, dominate, intimidate, and control--that it is worth commending that one action.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:35 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Police state. I hope that he complains to internal affairs about abuse of power by the cop.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:36 am

As I said, the incident never should have happened. But apologizing to a citizen goes so against the mindset and culture of these law-enforcement types--their training and mentality is to threaten, stonewall, evade, dominate, intimidate, and control--that it is worth commending that one action.
I have assumed, until now, that summoning a LEO was to my advantage or at the worst, neutral. So who do I summon if they are like this? The fact the he did not know, had to ask the TSA and then was apologized indicates he his way out of his league and looking for a confrontation. I am not comforted by the apology. He would have readily taken the phone if not challenged. Absurd!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:38 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. ^
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:38 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I have assumed, until now, that summoning a LEO was to my advantage or at the worst, neutral. So who do I summon if they are like this? The fact the he did not know, had to ask the TSA and then was apologized indicates he his way out of his league and looking for a confrontation. I am not comforted by the apology. He would have readily taken the phone if not challenged. Absurd!
In many places the police are not there to protect your rights. And the TSA certainly isn't protecting your rights.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:39 am

What bothers me is the whole idea that private citizens who apparently have no expectations of privacy cant photograph or record the actions of other people at a security check point.

If the maulings and strip searches were sooo effective, then video taping the situation would be beneficial to our own security as it would clearly show that the security procedures in place by our Govt were effective and that you cant beat the system.

However since the Govt says you cant film, leads me to think, what are THEY trying to hide?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:46 am

Programs: NWA Tears
John Stossel just did a deal on Fox about China cops snagging a camera from a 13 year old in a public square. Radley Balko has a great article in the current Reason Magazine about this moving to the U.S., particularly when it comes to videoing cops (corruption doesn't like to be seen). We're seeing it firsthand with TSA leading the way.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:46 am

Programs: EB*G, UA ex1K
Originally Posted by planedude86
Perhaps useful to send video to Nashville media

WKRN-2 (ABC) @wkrn, News: [email protected], 615-369-7236
WSMV-4 (NBC) @wsmv, Newstips: [email protected], (615) 353-2231, contact
WTVF-5 (CBS) @nc5, Newstips: [email protected], 615-248-5250
WZTV-17 (Fox) @wztv_fox, 17News Hotline: 615-369-1717, Main E-mail: [email protected] contact

If you were a police chief, would you want your best officers on airport duty? Even so, I think a real LEO practically always will perform better than a TSA. There's more selection and more training.

BNA contact info
email contact
Airport Police (Department of Public Safety) (615) 275-1703, (615) 275-1704
Airport Public Safety Chief (615) 275-2340

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 26, 2010 at 11:48 am Reason: merge consecutive posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.