FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   BNA Police Officer Threatens Arrest for Filming TSA Checkpoint, Confiscates Phone (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1151777-bna-police-officer-threatens-arrest-filming-tsa-checkpoint-confiscates-phone.html)

planedude86 Nov 23, 2010 3:04 am

BNA Police Officer Threatens Arrest for Filming TSA Checkpoint, Confiscates Phone

Ignorance and arrogance at its finest.

InkUnderNails Nov 23, 2010 4:43 am

This new policy is turning the before friendly folks at my home airport into petty tyrants as well. Drat! BTW, I take video there too, just stealthily. No interaction yet but I will know to be prepared now. May just try it tomorrow as I come by from the secure side on my way home. I can just say I was taking pictures of the ridiculous NOOD protesters. That will get them on my side.

AmericanSecurityTheater Nov 23, 2010 4:47 am

This needs to get wider exposure. If only to finally clarify whether or not citizens can film at the checkpoint.

It is unrealistic to expect people to not film a protest come the 24th, especially when posted regulations allow it.

There have been many incidents where TSA has implied on the ground that filming was illegal and intimidating passengers.

See also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssdiIrDXVo

LuvAirFrance Nov 23, 2010 4:54 am

This new policy is turning the before friendly folks at my home airport into petty tyrants as well.
As I was saying...

studentff Nov 23, 2010 5:43 am

To his credit, the cop apologized after consulting with the TSO, and the TSO gave the correct answer regarding filming at the checkpoint.

(And this is coming from someone who has a strong dislike for police -- google "Cheye Calvo dogs" if you want to know why.)

If more of these power-trip incidents ended this way, the world would be a better place and the authorities would get much more respect.

Of course, the incident should never have happened, particularly the threat of arrest, but at least it ended correctly.

ND Sol Nov 23, 2010 6:25 am

Well at least it wasn't SgtScott31 in the encounter, but I do wonder what he would have to say about the training of his officers.

InkUnderNails Nov 23, 2010 6:29 am

Originally Posted by studentff (Post 15250971)
To his credit, the cop apologized after consulting with the TSO, and the TSO gave the correct answer regarding filming at the checkpoint.

(And this is coming from someone who has a strong dislike for police -- google "Cheye Calvo dogs" if you want to know why.)

If more of these power-trip incidents ended this way, the world would be a better place and the authorities would get much more respect.

Of course, the incident should never have happened, particularly the threat of arrest, but at least it ended correctly.

To his credit?

He has to ask the TSA about the law?

He gets no credit from me.

In general, the TSA is nice here and if you get the right ones, knowledgeable. The SOP is still a travesty.

studentff Nov 23, 2010 6:31 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails (Post 15251361)
To his credit?

He has to ask the TSA about the law?

He gets no credit from me.

As I said, the incident never should have happened. But apologizing to a citizen goes so against the mindset and culture of these law-enforcement types--their training and mentality is to threaten, stonewall, evade, dominate, intimidate, and control--that it is worth commending that one action.

Global_Hi_Flyer Nov 23, 2010 6:35 am

Police state. I hope that he complains to internal affairs about abuse of power by the cop.

InkUnderNails Nov 23, 2010 6:36 am

Originally Posted by studentff (Post 15251388)
As I said, the incident never should have happened. But apologizing to a citizen goes so against the mindset and culture of these law-enforcement types--their training and mentality is to threaten, stonewall, evade, dominate, intimidate, and control--that it is worth commending that one action.

I have assumed, until now, that summoning a LEO was to my advantage or at the worst, neutral. So who do I summon if they are like this? The fact the he did not know, had to ask the TSA and then was apologized indicates he his way out of his league and looking for a confrontation. I am not comforted by the apology. He would have readily taken the phone if not challenged. Absurd!

Ari Nov 23, 2010 6:38 am

Originally Posted by studentff (Post 15251388)

Yes. ^

Global_Hi_Flyer Nov 23, 2010 6:38 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails (Post 15251434)
I have assumed, until now, that summoning a LEO was to my advantage or at the worst, neutral. So who do I summon if they are like this? The fact the he did not know, had to ask the TSA and then was apologized indicates he his way out of his league and looking for a confrontation. I am not comforted by the apology. He would have readily taken the phone if not challenged. Absurd!

In many places the police are not there to protect your rights. And the TSA certainly isn't protecting your rights.

Saitek Nov 23, 2010 6:39 am

What bothers me is the whole idea that private citizens who apparently have no expectations of privacy cant photograph or record the actions of other people at a security check point.

If the maulings and strip searches were sooo effective, then video taping the situation would be beneficial to our own security as it would clearly show that the security procedures in place by our Govt were effective and that you cant beat the system.

However since the Govt says you cant film, leads me to think, what are THEY trying to hide?

JSFox Nov 23, 2010 6:46 am

John Stossel just did a deal on Fox about China cops snagging a camera from a 13 year old in a public square. Radley Balko has a great article in the current Reason Magazine about this moving to the U.S., particularly when it comes to videoing cops (corruption doesn't like to be seen). We're seeing it firsthand with TSA leading the way.

neko Nov 23, 2010 6:46 am

Originally Posted by planedude86 (Post 15249992)

Perhaps useful to send video to Nashville media

WKRN-2 (ABC) @wkrn, News: [email protected], 615-369-7236
WSMV-4 (NBC) @wsmv, Newstips: [email protected], (615) 353-2231, contact
WTVF-5 (CBS) @nc5, Newstips: [email protected], 615-248-5250
WZTV-17 (Fox) @wztv_fox, 17News Hotline: 615-369-1717, Main E-mail: [email protected] contact

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails (Post 15251434)

If you were a police chief, would you want your best officers on airport duty? Even so, I think a real LEO practically always will perform better than a TSA. There's more selection and more training.

BNA contact info
email contact
Airport Police (Department of Public Safety) (615) 275-1703, (615) 275-1704
Airport Public Safety Chief (615) 275-2340