Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

BNA Police Officer Threatens Arrest for Filming TSA Checkpoint, Confiscates Phone

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BNA Police Officer Threatens Arrest for Filming TSA Checkpoint, Confiscates Phone

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:59 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by neko
Perhaps useful to send video to Nashville media

WKRN-2 (ABC) @wkrn, News: [email protected], 615-369-7236
WSMV-4 (NBC) @wsmv, Newstips: [email protected], (615) 353-2231, contact
WTVF-5 (CBS) @nc5, Newstips: [email protected], 615-248-5250
WZTV-17 (Fox) @wztv_fox, 17News Hotline: 615-369-1717, Main E-mail: [email protected] contact
How would it be helpful; it paints the police in a neutral light.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:10 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I have assumed, until now, that summoning a LEO was to my advantage or at the worst, neutral. So who do I summon if they are like this? The fact the he did not know, had to ask the TSA and then was apologized indicates he his way out of his league and looking for a confrontation. I am not comforted by the apology. He would have readily taken the phone if not challenged. Absurd!
I have posted elsewhere (and often !) that involving a LEO in an airport dispute is a crap shoot. Blatant ignorance is not just limited to the TSA, although in this case the TSA got it right.

BNA has a dedicated airport PD http://www.flynashville.com/security/ and I have yet to encounter any such where competence is the norm. Far from the 'brightest and best'.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:22 am

Programs: EB*G, UA ex1K
Originally Posted by Ari
How would it be helpful; it paints the police in a neutral light.
Um, it's OK to be neutral and accurate. However, it does highlight that it's allowed to film at the airport.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I have assumed, until now, that summoning a LEO was to my advantage or at the worst, neutral. So who do I summon if they are like this? The fact the he did not know, had to ask the TSA and then was apologized indicates he his way out of his league and looking for a confrontation. I am not comforted by the apology. He would have readily taken the phone if not challenged. Absurd!

A lawyer!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:25 am

The part of the video that stood out to me? "What's the latest ruling on video...."

This implies that video/pictures are UNDER DISCUSSION AND BEING REVIEWED. Perhaps in light of the fact that more and more people are taping and recording themselves through checkpoints?

Expect to see these alws change soon, if I had to guess. In otherwords - Record while you still can!

Angela <><
Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:40 am

Programs: Delta, United
Come on folks - the TSA rule changes happens as often as some change underwear. Yeah, the LEO did not know the rule about filming at a check point. He asked, got the correct answer and apologized. Making a big issues out of this incident is petty. Focus on bigger issues.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:43 am

Law enforcement is always telling us, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse." Why is it for them?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:46 am

these types of situations are getting more and more exposed publicly. It would be great to see a real profound action by citizens (not just at check points). We need to remind the government that they work for us, they govern only by our granting them the power to do so. They should not have rights that we dont have, they cant (but take it anyway). If they get their authority from us, then how is it that we dont have the authority to confiscate phones (would be theft if you or i did it). You cant give power to someone that you dont possess, they just take it. We need to take our country back!!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by JSFox
John Stossel just did a deal on Fox about China cops snagging a camera from a 13 year old in a public square. Radley Balko has a great article in the current Reason Magazine about this moving to the U.S., particularly when it comes to videoing cops (corruption doesn't like to be seen). We're seeing it firsthand with TSA leading the way.
Actually the BART police officers that killed that innocent man at a train station a couple of years ago went this route first. They confiscated alot of cell phones in fear of being busted. It wasnt until the video from one cell phone they missed went viral on yourtube were charges brought against the murdering officer.

But the TSA is taking this a step further by forcing citizens, who havent done anything wrong, to surrender their cell phones? Whats the charge? Also, a cell phone is no longer just a telephone, with it carries phone books, contacts for both personal and business, email, test messages, private documents for both private and work... So for a TSA employee, or Police officer to attempt to confiscate something that contains the life of a person? Arrest me I am not giving it to you.

The point is I geuss, that the govt says we have no expectation of privacy while in public. US Citizens have no expectations of privacy... ok well TSA and LEO's are US Citizens too right? therefore, they too have no expectations of privacy EITHER.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 8:04 am

I would have demanded that the officer provide his name, badge number and the contact information of his supervising officer.

Ignorance of the law is not probable cause to deprive a law-abiding individual of his or her property, even temporarily.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by AngEngland
The part of the video that stood out to me? "What's the latest ruling on video...."

This implies that video/pictures are UNDER DISCUSSION AND BEING REVIEWED.
That's one possible inference, although I believe it was simply the airport cop trying to hide the fact that he had no idea of the law. AFAIK neither the law nor the TSA policy has ever changed yet the ignorance persists.

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Yeah, the LEO did not know the rule about filming at a check point.
He is a member of the airport PD. There is simply no excuse for 'not knowing'.

Last edited by Wally Bird; Nov 23, 2010 at 8:29 am
Old Nov 23, 2010, 8:09 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dvsmith
I would have demanded that the officer provide his name, badge number and the contact information of his supervising officer.

Ignorance of the law is not probable cause to deprive a law-abiding individual of his or her property, even temporarily.
His last name and badge number are easily visible in the video.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 8:25 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I guess the 14th Amendment doesn't apply at BNA.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by DevilDog438
His last name and badge number are easily visible in the video.
Since R. Allen's face isn't, a verbal confirmation would prevent him from claiming "that wasn't me," subsequently.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
I guess the 14th Amendment doesn't apply at BNA.
We are regularly informed by TSA employees and others that the Constitution doesn't apply at airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.