Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

GHA Discovery - New Program 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GHA Discovery - New Program 2021

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2023, 11:52 pm
Company Representative, GHA

Programs: GHA DISCOVERY
Originally Posted by Compliment
Can anyone tell me if the Amex FHR bookings are eligible stays for the gha benefits? I know that it's no problem with Hilton but never tried GHA.
Yes, they are eligible stays under the GHA DISCOVERY programme, therefore you will earn D$ on eligible spend and receive tier credits and status benefits.
Compliment likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 1:33 pm

Can anyone tell me if the Amex FHR bookings are eligible stays for the gha benefits? I know that it's no problem with Hilton but never tried GHA.
Went through this recently with a FHR booking. (Or was it cap one's premiere, cant recall) Took me a few tries but had to make an initial stay claim. After a few weeks this was the conclusion:
Greetings from GHA DISCOVERY Customer Care!
We would like to have you informed that we received the following feedback regarding your claim under Claim ID :
Your requested stay has been added to your account. However, please note that non-qualifying rates will not earn tier credit
According to the property, unfortunately the stay was on an Ineligible rate due to which it was not considered towards the earning criteria of D$ and Eligible nights.
Should you require any further information or assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us !
After the month they closed the claim but the stay was not added to my account.
Opened a new claim and this time they added it though and it was reflected.

HUCA I guess.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by Sygnal
Went through this recently with a FHR booking. (Or was it cap one's premiere, cant recall) Took me a few tries but had to make an initial stay claim. After a few weeks this was the conclusion:

After the month they closed the claim but the stay was not added to my account.
Opened a new claim and this time they added it though and it was reflected.

HUCA I guess.
I think you must have booked through Capital One, which uses a white-label version of Hopper (an online travel agency) to make its hotel bookings. Therefore the rate would have been seen by the hotel (and by us) as an ineligible OTA rate, rather than as a normal travel agency rate like FH&R. These OTA rates are not eligible for earning D$ or tier status, unlike say FH&R rates. So strictly speaking our Customer Care shouldn't have given you any D$ or tier credit for your stay but you seem to have got lucky...

The commercial logic behind this distinction from a hotel point of view is that OTAs charge them very high commissions, often in the region of 20%, whereas traditional travel agencies (including those like FH&R) charge around 10% commission. Hotels would therefore generally like you to book direct with them or at worst case through a traditional travel agency, so most loyalty programmes, including GHA DISCOVERY, don't reward bookings made through OTAs.

I realise it gets confusing when the OTA's identity is hidden behind another entity, as it was here. The safest way to guarantee the eligibility of the stay is always to book direct on GHA's website/app or on the hotel brand's website or app. In most cases you should also be able to get a discounted member rate on these channels, if you are logged in.
mad_atta likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 6:48 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by mad_atta
I'm only Platinum, but a recent stay at Capella Hanoi (on a GHA Discovery advance purchase rate which was a fair bit cheaper than the hotel's own site) we got a triple upgrade from a regular room to a Deluxe Suite. The room (and indeed the hotel) was stunning and service levels were off the charts, and the 'Diva's Entree' cocktail hour was especially generous with free-flowing Taittinger champagne, cocktails and canapés. My status was from a Business Traveller Asia subscription (purchased for that exact purpose) back in 2019 which kept getting extended during Covid so that was decent value.

Having said that, our stay was for only one night, it was a Sunday night, and occupancy levels seemed low, all of which are pretty perfect conditions for an upgrade. But it's clear that the hotel is taking the loyalty program seriously.

Vietnam as a whole definitely seems still to be well below its previous peaks of tourist volumes. About a week earlier we stayed at Reverie Saigon, on a '3 for 2' discounted rate, which was much cheaper than the FHR or Virtuoso rates (which explicitly exclude upgrades from non-suite to junior suite, so I didn't see the point). I had signed up for their (now free) Leaders Club program which gives vague promises of 'being considered' for upgrades, and we got upgraded to a very impressive junior suite with full club lounge benefits and again very impressive service levels.
You're making a pretty good case for Capella Hanoi for my trip in November! Tempted to try it out.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 11:42 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
You're making a pretty good case for Capella Hanoi for my trip in November! Tempted to try it out.
Do it! You won't regret it.

BTW I found rates were cheaper on the Discovery site than on the Capella site.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 1:27 am

Programs: AY, Accor, Hilton - Gold
Originally Posted by GHA_Insider
I think you must have booked through Capital One, which uses a white-label version of Hopper (an online travel agency) to make its hotel bookings. Therefore the rate would have been seen by the hotel (and by us) as an ineligible OTA rate, rather than as a normal travel agency rate like FH&R. These OTA rates are not eligible for earning D$ or tier status, unlike say FH&R rates. So strictly speaking our Customer Care shouldn't have given you any D$ or tier credit for your stay but you seem to have got lucky...

The commercial logic behind this distinction from a hotel point of view is that OTAs charge them very high commissions, often in the region of 20%, whereas traditional travel agencies (including those like FH&R) charge around 10% commission. Hotels would therefore generally like you to book direct with them or at worst case through a traditional travel agency, so most loyalty programmes, including GHA DISCOVERY, don't reward bookings made through OTAs.

I realise it gets confusing when the OTA's identity is hidden behind another entity, as it was here. The safest way to guarantee the eligibility of the stay is always to book direct on GHA's website/app or on the hotel brand's website or app. In most cases you should also be able to get a discounted member rate on these channels, if you are logged in.
When I book through Amex FHR, I always get a confirmation with "Expedia" in it. You sure that's gonna work?

Also, if that's a eligible stay, does it earn the 3x points promo? That would be too good to be true

Last edited by Compliment; Jun 8, 2023 at 5:27 am
Old Jun 8, 2023, 2:49 pm

That makes sense. I believe it was Capital One and that does line up with your explanation.

Thank you for the info!
Old Jun 9, 2023, 7:14 am

When I book through Amex FHR, I always get a confirmation with "Expedia" in it. You sure that's gonna work?

Also, if that's a eligible stay, does it earn the 3x points promo? That would be too good to be true
There is a back-end workaround that means that these Amex FH&R bookings are seen by the system as eligible, even if they are using the Expedia booking technology. It has to be set up on the brand side but I know it works at our larger brands and you should be able to make a claim if for some reason it doesn't work at your stay brand.

The 3x D$ promo for Minor Hotels (Anantara, Avani, NH, Oaks etc) only applies to bookings at GHA DISCOVERY member rates, so that wouldn't apply to an FH&R booking, I'm afraid. You will need to book direct on the GHA website/app or the brand websites at the appropriate rate.

https://visit.ghadiscovery.com/minor...lar-promotion/
Compliment likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 11:03 pm

Incorrect D$ redemption devaluing D$

Just checked into Oaks on Castlereigh Suites Sydney
I have Platinum status.
They agreed on 3pm checkout.
Room upgrade to better view.

No welcome amenity offered. After asking and explaining showing app page was given some nice breakfast packs which was great.

Staff are friendly but admit not trained on GHA programme.

Above all good. Below not good.

I redeemed D$75 and they only gave me AUD75 off despite D$1 supposedly USD$1. Staff member tried to do conversion but system showed D$1=AUD$1

Thry charged me extra $19.58 credit card surcharge despite rate quoted stating “ including taxes and fees “ and no credit card surcharge being mentioned at booking when rate confirmed.

They told me weekly servicing only despite this not showing on booking screens.

@GhaInsider - can you help especially with Discovery dollar conversion being wrong.

Last edited by drajknox; Jun 13, 2023 at 11:27 pm Reason: Better title and update.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 1:44 pm

Hi @drajknox,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at Oaks Sydney Castlereagh Suites. We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your visit. We take your concerns seriously and would like to investigate the issues further.
To assist you in resolving these matters, we kindly request that you reach out to our customer service team at [email protected] with your membership number and a copy of your stay invoice. This will allow us to thoroughly investigate the details of your stay and address your queries.

We appreciate your cooperation and patience as we work towards a resolution.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 4:33 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by mad_atta
Do it! You won't regret it.

BTW I found rates were cheaper on the Discovery site than on the Capella site.
You've convinced me -- booked the 3 for 2 offer on the GHA website, which made a junior suite cheaper than a base room. Hoping Titanium status will generate an upgrade as well.
mad_atta and GHA_Insider like this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 7:05 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
You've convinced me -- booked the 3 for 2 offer on the GHA website, which made a junior suite cheaper than a base room. Hoping Titanium status will generate an upgrade as well.
I have no doubt that it will, likely several categories. I'm excited for you - fingers crossed. Please report back and let us know the outcome (with pics, please). And ensure you make the most of the very generous evening cocktail hour!
Kilian Zoll and GHA_Insider like this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 5:50 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, GHA Titanium
Cancellation Flexibility for Titanium members

Hi GHA_Insider on Kempinski website, they list Titanium benefits and I am surprised to see they have Cancellation Flexibility, which I do not see in the GHA Discovery website. The benefit mentions:
Choose your dream location and enjoy increased cancellation flexibility when you book directly through kempinski.com, ghadiscovery.com, the Kempinski App, the GHA DISCOVERY App or direct hotel reservations (phone/email). This benefit does not apply to any third-party or non-direct bookings. Black-out dates may apply.
I couldn't find it in the GHA Discovery T&Cs either. Is this applicable to all brands under GHA? And does that mean a Titanium member can basically book a non-refundable rate but as a benefit makes it Flexible? Would like to get your thoughts on this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by laudy26
Hi GHA_Insider on Kempinski website, they list Titanium benefits and I am surprised to see they have Cancellation Flexibility, which I do not see in the GHA Discovery website. The benefit mentions:

I couldn't find it in the GHA Discovery T&Cs either. Is this applicable to all brands under GHA? And does that mean a Titanium member can basically book a non-refundable rate but as a benefit makes it Flexible? Would like to get your thoughts on this.
Hi @laudy26,

Yes, this is an exclusive brand benefit offered by Kempinski, and a unique advantage to GHA DISCOVERY members. Unlike other brands, only Kempinski offers this benefit, which is why it is not explicitly mentioned in our terms and conditions, as the cancellation policy is subject to hotel's discretion. While you can book refundable rates with free cancellation on the GHA DISCOVERY website and app, for this specific brand benefit, it is advisable to visit Kempinski's website and review their terms and conditions to understand the extent of flexibility provided by their cancellation policy.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 4:45 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by GHA_Insider
Hi @laudy26,

Yes, this is an exclusive brand benefit offered by Kempinski, and a unique advantage to GHA DISCOVERY members. Unlike other brands, only Kempinski offers this benefit, which is why it is not explicitly mentioned in our terms and conditions, as the cancellation policy is subject to hotel's discretion. While you can book refundable rates with free cancellation on the GHA DISCOVERY website and app, for this specific brand benefit, it is advisable to visit Kempinski's website and review their terms and conditions to understand the extent of flexibility provided by their cancellation policy.
Thanks for confGHA_Insider . That seems very interesting indeed, and something I hope other brands would adapt. Highly unlikely, but definitely a unique top-tier benefit. Another brand I want to highlight that offers incredible benefit as a Titanium is the Marco Polo Hotels. I came across their site as I am planning on staying there in Hong Kong. They offer free buffet breakfast - hope this is more common across other GHA brands!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.